Author Topic: ice rod question  (Read 1286 times)

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
ice rod question
« on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:29 PM »
ok , maybe it's just my "old school" opinion , but , is there really a difference with my gander mtn special ice rods compared to st.croix and other high end rods or am i right thinking that a rod is a rod ?

i have never used any "high end" rods to know the difference but am i missing something ?
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ice rod question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:37 AM »
as has been discussed a lot, its all what youre lookin to get outta it. If your Gander Mtn rod is great for you, then great. To me, they vary quite a bit. Whatever makes the angler happy. I really like Thorne Bros custom rods over all of the other rods i have fished. I prefer the fast quick action of their graphite rods, and the quality is top notch. Do you need a custom rod to catch fish? No. You could catch fish with a stick and a line just the same.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:58 AM »
If you fish only with some basic tackle then a rod is just a rod.

If you want to try to fish with some of the various lures out there, then choose a rod that will help make the presentation more convincing to a fish.  There are so many differences out there, becuase everybody is different with their hand eye coordination.  Then there's the question of which flasher is best... ;D  for what and for whom... ;)
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2011, 08:49 AM »
There is most deff a difference between them.  The higher end rods have more sensativity to them on a tap of a take.  The trick is finding
what you are willing to spend, and happy to use.  Not everyone demands a high end rod.

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:26 AM »
i guess i just refer to st. croix because i am from wisconsin where they are built , but , I use a camera most of the time anyway , my arguement is that i could (PROBABLY) catch just as many by just holding my line. and doubt anybody could "feel" some of the bites.   I don't know ,but seems a little pricey for me either way.

-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:45 AM »
I had a buddy who always thought the same thing river fishing for eyes.  I was putting on a clinic while he had only 2 fish caught.  I let him use the rod i had, and needless to say, he was out ordering one the next day.  They really do make a big difference in open water.  The high end graphite rods tend to magnify the strike if you will.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2011, 11:32 PM »
I have spent upwards of $250 on a spinning rod for open water fishing. Considering that, jig rods are cheap. Even expensive ones.  :icefish:

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:12 AM »
I have spent upwards of $250 on a spinning rod for open water fishing. Considering that, jig rods are cheap. Even expensive ones.  Ice Fishing

its a pretty safe bet to say, you won't be picking up an ugly stick anytime soon either!  I know I won't!

Offline Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I have bought a lot of rods and what I thought I would like in the store did not quite make it when I used them. It seems to me that the old (You get what you pay for) with all fishing equiptment holds true.
Life is tough, Its tougher when you're stupid

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I have bought a lot of rods and what I thought I would like in the store did not quite make it when I used them. It seems to me that the old (You get what you pay for) with all fishing equiptment holds true.

I got an HT Polar Ice Light/Med rod that had an ultra-sensitive tip on it and saw strikes on it that I wouldn't have seen on a spring bobber due to the wind. I could't feel the strikes because of my gloves but saw them and was amazed because they didn't hit too hard at all. Bought the rod just the rod for $10 at Wal-Mart. Kicks butt, I own all HT rods for ice fishing mainly due to that's all I see in the store but have had great success with the rods standing up to abuse. Their reels leave something to be desired but oh well, the rods are just awesome in light and ultralight.
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.