Author Topic: Gps options?  (Read 985 times)

Offline Another Day

• IceShanty Rookie
Gps options?
« on: Mar 20, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Can anyone give me some recommendations on equipment/software, so I can keep track and store my fishing spots.    My goal is to make return trips to the same spots that I have had success at in the past.    Not sure what everyone is using for electronics/gps, ect.    I need to move into the 21st century!    I have the basic Navionics on my phone and use it for the lake charts.  Appreciate the help. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Gps options?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2017, 06:02 PM »
On the right track! I used a handheld Lowrance H20C for many years with great accuracy, sometimes with < 2 feet (really!).

Now I run locators on the boat both of which can do double duty as ice machines. The Lowrance M68C is the most portable, being the smallest but the HDS5 has maps loaded and many other features.

I've got a H'bird 891 sidefinder (or something like that) I haven't even looked at except for the demo mode. I think there's some amazing applications for the side find thing plus that has GPS as well.

Don't leave home without it. Mark your spots, your new friends' spots, the guides spots, well..... you get the idea.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2017, 10:06 PM »
You can mark spots on Navionics as well, that's what I use.
Tight Lines!

Offline Another Day

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:12 PM »
Thanks guys.  I would think that you could download Navionics in to some of the handheld Gps's? 

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2017, 09:41 PM »
That I'm not sure of, I just turn my location on my Iphone on and Navigate towards my marked spots or prospective spots.
Tight Lines!

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2017, 06:24 AM »
Navionics app on my phone covers all my ice fishing needs.  Just be sure to back up your waypoints online or write them down somewhere in case your phone dies.  You can buy chips that have the same charts for a traditional handheld gps or gps/fishfinder combo unit, but will be many times more expensive than the $15 app for the phone you already have. 

A dedicated gps unit is certainly worth it for open water fishing or if you are doing back country snowmobile ice fishing trips to remote locations, much better reliability and battery life.

Offline Another Day

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2017, 04:12 PM »
How good has the accuracy been?  I am just wondering how close it will bring me to where I have been before.   + or - 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Can't speak for the phone, only the dedicated handhelds and integrated locators I have and it all depends on your satellite locks. A good day can have you literally stepping in you ice hole from the previous day after a 10" snowfall. Other times it might be as much as 12 - 15 feet.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2017, 02:23 PM »
I have found phone gps accuracy to be excellent, within a couple of feet most of the time.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2017, 04:10 PM »
Can't speak for the phone, only the dedicated handhelds and integrated locators I have and it all depends on your satellite locks. A good day can have you literally stepping in you ice hole from the previous day after a 10" snowfall. Other times it might be as much as 12 - 15 feet.

???  Essex has it right!   Within 2 ft. is really good but don't be surprised if its off by 10 or 15 ft.  I thinks that's  great.   Accuracy varies according to satellites that are  available and southern horizon!   Being on open water with an on board antenna helps?   I used to be happy when my hand help Garmin gps let me return within sight of my truck after walking 5 miles?  My new $2,000 hand held guarantees to put me within three feet of a stored location??
Dick

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Dick, does Mary know of this magic box?

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2017, 11:14 AM »
Dick, does Mary know of this magic box?

::)  I told her it was for business purposes only??
Dick

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2017, 09:59 PM »
Funny, I just remember where I put my traps and where I caught some fish.

If you need to keep track of way too many places to catch fish, you won't have much time to actually fish.

They are good to have, but I can't justify the cost for my needs.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.