The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Looking to take a trip  (Read 845 times)

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
Looking to take a trip
« on: Mar 28, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Hey guys, I'm from upstate new York and I'm planning a surprise trip to Maine for my wife and I for our 6 year anniversary. It is in december but im really curious about when the best time of year would be to come up to do the things im looking to do.. We are both avid fisherman, love to catch brook trout and salmon, on open water and especially thru the ice. I'm planning to do a deep sea charter of some kind, whale watching, that sort of thing.. but I also want to try and get out on some ice for at least one day trip. I was looking at the portland area for the charter.. We will be driving up so I will be bringing my own gear to do ice fishing, I'm just not familiar with the area and am unsure of where to go. Any help would be appreciated regarding charter services, hotels, places to eat, lakes to go ice fishing, all of the above. Thanks in advance!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Looking to take a trip
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Safe ice for fishing in December is difficult to predict. Most years there is safe ice on some small bodies of water but big lakes take longer to freeze. Most trout and salmon fishing is in the northern and western parts of the state where the many waters are closed to ice fishing until January 1. That's especially true for salmon fishing.
I don't know much about ocean charters for fishing or whale watching. I do know enough about Maine's tourism industry to say you will find very few in any charter boats operating in December.

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:27 AM »
I live in central maine,  Waterville  / Oakland area and ice fishing in December can be hit or miss. Really depends if it's early December or late December. We may have safe ice or we may not have safe ice. You need a string of cold nights together to get things safe enough to walk on. Just one or two random cold nights doesn't get the job done. As far as ice fishing goes, I'm afraid you're going to have to wait until you get closer to  December to see what kind of weather we've been having in order to make better plans for you and your wife. If all else fails, there's lots of other things to do in Maine.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2017, 09:56 AM »
I know this is an icefishing site and you indicated December (and icefishing) but if I were planning a trip to Maine it would be in June and I would plan on open water fishing. 

If your heart is set on icefishing, February and March.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I know this is an icefishing site and you indicated December (and icefishing) but if I were planning a trip to Maine it would be in June and I would plan on open water fishing. 

x2.  December is not a great time for fishing in maine.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2017, 01:54 PM »

x2   Don't even bother to try ice fishing in December, unless you would be satisfied with tiny perch from a real small pond.  I don't know of any salt charters that late in the year and if there was any, you'd freeze to death. Wifie would enjoy some nice weather.;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2017, 02:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies fellas! What would be more ideal for a salt water trip, spring or autumn? What sort of options are there to be "guided" on an open water fishing trip in fresh water? For say.. brook trout or salmon??

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2017, 03:42 PM »
There are plenty of fishing guides near me that specialize in trout and salmon. Are you more interested in fly fishing or trolling? I'll send a PM with more details. I've only been on a salt water charter twice. Both times were in April on the "Bunny Clark" out of Ogunquit. The captain and first mate were both nice guys knowledgeable and professional. Both times everyone on board caught plenty of cod and haddock plus some redfish, cusk and one monkfish. One time we had our limit on cod in an hour and moved to target other species for the rest of the day.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2017, 03:57 PM »
I also agree on the Bunny clark perkins cove. It has been 5 years but they are a good outfit.

Offline tblaster123

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2017, 04:33 PM »
I think trolling would be our best bet! I myself am a newbie to the fly fishing scene. I fish rivers, creeks and streams here in NY for trout but I'm usually casting a spoon on my spinning reel. The wife has yet to pick up a fly rod.. I will do some research myself but I've already gotten some good recommendations for fresh water lake guides and will certainly be booking a trip with one of them!

Any nice places to stay for a long weekend that are off the beaten path? I will be doing a google search, but a lot of times there are someven hidden gems that don't come up on a quick google search..

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2017, 05:05 PM »
For saltwater look to Newberryport, Mass in June.
RPM charters. Eastmans Docks, Al Gauron all will get you fish
Saltwater, unbelievaly. not as good in Maine

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.