The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: tying ice flies  (Read 2481 times)

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
tying ice flies
« on: Nov 30, 2007, 01:56 PM »
Hey everyone,
Just sittin here in GF waiting for iceup and wondering if any of my hardwater/flyfishing brethren have ever tried using their trout flies under the ice.  Last year I picked up a few perch on basic nymph patterns tipped with maggots and eyes.  Anybody tie their own and willing to share some tips and recipes that have worked well for them?  I've always get an extra kick by fooling them with my own handywork.  I'm thinking tungsten beads, bright maraboo and cdc, weighted buggers, dressed leadheads, lots of potential to personalize the hookup. 

Love to Tie,
Live to Fish.
Copperjohn
Gravity's B**ch On Hard Water

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tying ice flies
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2007, 11:35 PM »
yeah, those prince nymphs are great, especially on the ponds near Power and the Mo all year round.  I've got some glow paints I might try on the heads.  Not really matching the hatch through the ice but buggier might be better.  thanks for the input, it's nice to be back online after a year w/o a computer.  I'm planning to volunteer with the North Middle School Fishing club soon and I'll definitely share this site with Pat Volkmer. the organizer, and the rest of the crew.  They do awesome things with those kids and fishing.

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007, 10:17 AM »
yeah, those prince nymphs are great, especially on the ponds near Power and the Mo all year round.  I've got some glow paints I might try on the heads.  Not really matching the hatch through the ice but buggier might be better.  thanks for the input, it's nice to be back online after a year w/o a computer.  I'm planning to volunteer with the North Middle School Fishing club soon and I'll definitely share this site with Pat Volkmer. the organizer, and the rest of the crew.  They do awesome things with those kids and fishing.
  so where exactly are the ponds near pwr? i have heard of them and i think i passed one on a back road to fairfield it had a real nice gravel trail by it??? if ya could help that would be great. my oldest would love to go this year... thanks herd!!

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:15 AM »
I have had a lot of success on a variety of bead head nymph patterns as well as scuds.  Also jigs with hand tied skirts work great (only fished these when jigging pike with large frozen smelt-i would assume they would work on walleye as well with a smaller bait).

Offline copperjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2007, 12:50 AM »
Herd,
I've only fished two near Power as guest of private members.  The one I recall the name of was called Woodhouse named after the landowner.  I guess it cost $150 a year then and was invite only. My member buddy moved outstate and I never went back.  Don't know if they have a daily fee.  Never been one to pay to fish, so never pursued the ponds. But we sure took some nice 'bows, nothing smaller than 18 in.  If you can get on Malmstrom base, Pioneer Pond is stocked well.  I've also done well at the ponds at Pelican Point, though the perch and bass were quite small.   Wadsworth just west of town is kid freindly.  I know there are many more in the area but don't know much more about them.  Couple of years ago a freind showed me a list from Montana FWP showing state stocked ponds and there were quite a few in our area.  I guess the landowners are supposed to allow some sort of public access.  Maybe the field office down at Giant Springs could help you out.
Good Luck

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2007, 09:27 AM »
Here's the latest fish stocking plan that you were talking about.

http://fwp.mt.gov/content/getItem.aspx?id=12300

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2007, 04:20 PM »
 i use zug bugs, hairs ear, pheasant tails. stone flies and chart. wollybuggers all tipped with maggots under the ice usually above a small jigging rapala tipped with a buckeye head

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.