Author Topic: Line for Tip Ups?????  (Read 1624 times)

Reelinrolly

Line for Tip Ups?????
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 09:50 PM »
Hey guys....Im going to be using tip ups for the first time this year.  just wondering what kind of setup I should be running on them. (what kind of line....for pike or lake trout).  Any help would be greatly appreciated...thnx guys...tight lines

GentleBen

Re:Line for Tip Ups?????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:07 PM »
Reelinrolly see post I put on subject (super lines).  Gudebrod teflon coated Dacron in 30# test for northerns.

Reelinrolly

« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:16 PM »
thnx

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2003, 07:32 PM »
I use HT Polar vinyl coated tip up line. It has to be vinyl coated. This makes it freezeproof so you can use it on spools below the water and above the water. It has incredible strength and shock resistance. I use the 15 and 25 pound test. I tie the end of the line to a barrel swivel, and then add on a 12 pound fluorocarbonl leader 10 feet long. For pike, add a foot long section of 30 pound fireline to the end of the fluorocarbon. The fireline cannot be cut by a pike's tooth. It is very tough, and way easier to handle than wire leaders.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2003, 04:40 AM »
I use spider wire fusion on my tipups it does not absorbe water so it wont stick to the ice and it is some tough stuff.If you need a bit more stealth for lakers add a mono leader.I like the 12\24 test in green... ;D

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:19 AM »
I have used Mason Darcon in the colors black or green for years with no troubles at all. I would recommend that you try using chain swivels as regular barrel or ball bearing swivels will not get the twist out when using big bait like jack smelts. I use Spiderwire for my leaders, lighter the better and if fishing for toothy fish I would have to recommend Surflon Micro Supreme knottable wire leader, it comes in a 15' spool at Cabela's, very nice stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.