Author Topic: Antique fishing equipment questions???  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
Antique fishing equipment questions???
« on: Dec 08, 2003, 10:14 AM »
Hi gang!
    I have a Denision Johnson Inc. Model 80 reel. The reel looks like a closed face reel but instead of winding in from the front it windes the line in from the side.
  It is still in mint/new condition in the box.  I have never used it.
Patten # 2644647
 made in Mankoto Minn By Dension Johnson INC.
  I also have about 100 hand made muskie balsa wood lures from the mid 1900's.  Where can I get information on this stuff??
   Thanks!
   Da-Roc

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re:Antique fishing equipment questions???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2003, 09:27 AM »
Hey Tony !
  I think most of the lures are in good to mint shape .  Most have never been used.  Almost all are brand name with just a few customes.  I have about twelve lure boxes with the lures also. three are tin the rest are nice balsa boxes.  The reel is a side mount reel I think it is from the 50's but have not found anyone who knows what it is?
  Da-Roc

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2003, 10:04 AM »
Here is the guy to contact.
Joe Stagnitti
1-315-682-4278
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2003, 04:20 PM »
go to ebay type in what ya got in the search,Then go too completed items.See what it sold for and go from there.Just for a starting point.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2003, 09:37 AM »
There are a bunch of websites to help you out. The only advise I can give to you is be careful who you talk to. The wooden lures go for big bucks especially still in the boxes and in mint condition. Some go for upwards of $400 EACH!!!! I also know that there are date ranges that get more $$ as well. A collector would love your collection if your willing to part with it.
DO NOT PUT THEM ON EBAY.....BAD MOVE. Take some pictures of them and email them to collectors. They will give you the best deal if you want to sell. Good Luck
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2003, 09:39 AM »
Problem is that what they sell for on e-bay is NOT their real value.  I've know of lures that sold on e-bay for several thousand dollars only to be sold to true colectors for tens of thousands.  Joe will give you an honest value.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2003, 10:07 AM »
Hi Gang!
   I found the information and about ten collectors are going to get together with me and apraise my collection as a group.  I think I will now get an honest opnion.  I found my close face sidewinder Johnson denison reel to be valued at apx. $75.00.  It was made in 1953 and is brand new condition with the box and extra spools.  I want to thank you all for your efforts in helping me solve these puzzles.  The first apraiser came by for a look at  some of my lures.  He said most are mint condition and some of the boxes are worth more than the lures lol.  But most of my lures are $100 plus catagory as a hole.  So we are getting together soon.  I'll let you know what turns out.
   Thanks again for all your help and ideas!

Da-Roc

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2003, 11:59 AM »
Wow, Where did you come upon all these lures??? Garage? Garage Sale?
Attic, family???? What an awesome find.
Good luck to you.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline cold_feet

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice is Cool!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2003, 07:27 PM »
Da-Rock
Be carefull of who you deal with. Some of these so-call experts can put a real screwing to you Get refrences from them and do a little homework before makeing a sale. I own a few old lures that I looked up on the Internet and found out that one is worth 500.00 Not bad for something that was in my grandfathers attic for about 50yrs. Its made by Heddon Dowagial. It kind of shocked me to the value of this thing If it had a gill paint mark of red it would have been worth 5,000.00. Just do your homework to make sure you don't get screwed and good luck
Cold Feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.