Author Topic: Hali Jigs  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hali Jigs
« on: Nov 08, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Are any of you folks familiar with the Hali jig?  If so, what color and size would you advise for crappie.  I mainly fish in water that is less than 20' deep and usually the bottom has around 2' of weeds. The "fish307" site has some on sale.  Approximate $4 for 25.  Problem is they all have to be the same color.  I would prefer mix them up.... unless you guys recommend a particular color to be the absolutely, positively best.  Please let me know what you think about this lure.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Hali Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2003, 01:48 PM »
The only hali jig Im familiar with is the long, heavy spoon type one with a chain attached to it with a little hook on the end.  Deadly on the perch!!!  I usually use the gold with black stripes and find it to be most productive.  Although I know these are not what you are talking about, but you might want to give em a try.  They run somewhere around 4-5$ a piece
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2003, 03:09 PM »
The jig you described is exactly what I was looking at... I thought I got 25 for $3.89...looking closer the 25 refers to the size... they have some glow colors that I thought might work for my crappie night fishing... at $4.00 a piece those fish better jump through the hole  ;D

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2003, 03:10 PM »
those hali spoons with the chain are good, They really shined last season when the perch were in a neutral feeding mood, seems like aggressive jigging with those help me ice a few nice ones. I tipped the hook with the tail section of a fathead, they loved that.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2003, 05:11 PM »
It sounds like these are good perch jigs...anybody catch crappies with them?

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2003, 06:37 PM »
I dont know about perch or crappies, never used em for that but they seem to be the best lure for smelt up here on Higgins Lake. The one I used the most was blue and gold. I saw several gold combinations working. Well my 2 cents worth. We started out at 17 degrees this morning, come on Ice. Freeze!!!!

Mike

Tight Lines

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2003, 06:55 PM »
I've used the Hali's on walleye and sauger on LOW.... I remove the little chain and hook and attach a dropper with a treble, or those Northland stinger hooks. Gold/Black and a few of the glow colors. I liked that they dropped fairly fast.
Never tried them on Red For crappies, I usually use Slow Pokes.
We had 8 below this morning and supposed to be upper 30's for tomorrow........ going to wait to see what the wind does before I go check.
Getting closer!!!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2003, 07:31 PM »
Have never fish crappie with a hali, it's an excellent
perch lure. I fish Lake George,N.Y. 30'-40' depth
range with the size 35 green/red/black perch color
tipped with grubs. I use a Okuma Celilo 28" light
rod, Silstar Vertex 25 reel spooled with 4lb. Easy
Cast. With over 100+ keeper perch last winter
I have a ton of confidence in this lure. Sorry I
can't help with the crappie, just telling you what
works for me.

Offline lumpy32me

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2003, 11:47 AM »
I have used the hali jigs on lake george for great perch fishing and on lake champlain for smelt. They work great for both. I keep several colors on hand at all times.  :)

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2003, 04:15 PM »
I use them on crappie and they work very well. The best luck I have had with the few I have was all white. As for size, I am not sure but its about the same size as a #2 swedish pimple but it drops much faster. When the crappie were ponding my bait(maggots) last year I used my larger all powder blue Hali and it was fantastic. As fast as I could drop it to a foot above em using my vex they were coming up and meeting it. This lasted nearly an hour. They do work! I also like the way I can set my Vexilar so I can see my bait and the lure as 2 distict signals. Sometimes the chain hangs up on the lure and you start getting hits with no hookups. You can actually see this if your sonar is set right and save valuable time during prime time.

George

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:37 PM »
They will work on just about anything if you change out the hook.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:44 PM »
What is wrong with the hook that comes on the lure?

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:45 PM »
I like the hooks that come on it.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2003, 09:23 PM »
The hook that comes on the Hali is  poor choice for larger fish, while it works great for smaller fish. So by switching hooks the main body of the lure works well for different applications. I like the hooks also.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:19 AM »
I know you're likely sick of reading about this lure's effectiveness on perch, but I feel like offering my $.02.
I am the kind of angler who changes presentations frequently, even when I'm nailing fish.  I have used the Hali spoons with the chain droppers in various sizes and colors on moderately aggressive/aggressive perch, and had good success.  However in my experience a 1/4 oz rattle spoon or lure junsen crippled herring with fatboy or genz worm dropper will outfish the hali spoons almost 2 to 1, as will #2 jigging raps.  Now I understand there are many variables, and what works for me could be different for the next guy.   This is just something I have observed while watching perch react on the camera.  I have experimented in a variety of situations with same results...Still think Hali's are great lures though.

Fishmon

« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2003, 12:34 PM »
I like to use hali's in deeper water (25-40 feet) which is typical for Lake George where I fish.  Work great on perch.  Use grubs or small fatheads.

I have tried hali's on crappies with some success in other lakes.  A ratso or ratfinkee on light line seems to work better for me in shallow situations.  I also have used a kastmaster with the hooks removed and a short dropper with a ratso or plain hook with grubs with good success on crappies.  The kastmaster gets their attention and they hit the jig underneath.  This combo is easy to fish and shows up on vexilar very well.  

Can't go too far wrong with either of above.  

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2003, 01:20 PM »
Hali's are great for the perch and the tulibees on Mille Lacs. I have no idea about the crappies. I tend to use Custom Jigs and Spins demons and rat finkees for most of my crappie fishing. Try it and let us know.

I have read various articles over the years that suggest taking off hooks and adding dropper hooks with a 1" to 2" hunk of mono. I have seen it used with a small jig instead of a hook for the dropper. Use it on anything from a jigging Rapala to any sort of spoon.

I might try this using a Rat Finkee as the dropper.

I think Nils sells just the dropper chain and hook so you could add that to another lure.

Nils Jiggers seem to have somewhat of a dropper for the middle hook.

http://www.nilsmaster.com/Jigger1.htm
http://www.nilsmaster.com/jigcolor.htm
http://www.nilsmaster.com/Hali35.htm
http://www.nilsmaster.com/Hali50.htm

bigh38

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:59 PM »
i used the Hali jigs alot last winter - had great luck with them.  most productive was the "hammered copper finish"

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 13, 2003, 08:18 PM »
I have the hammered copper with orange back one too, it worked well on perch last year for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.