Author Topic: 18V battery adaptor for rigid battery  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: 18V battery adaptor for rigid battery
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2021, 05:21 PM »
The fish finders use a nominal 12 volt DC although some have a range of about 10-16 volts.  You might be letting the smoke genie out of the fish finder with 18 volts.   Milwaukee has a similar item I know the guys use for cell phones, USB port and a 12 volt port for their fish finders,  https://www.homedepot.ca/product/milwaukee-tool-m18-power-source/1000765100

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:14 PM »
Looks like it just brings out 18v to the 2 leads. Not what you want. Find an adapter that reduces the 18v to 12v to power your flasher. I found an adapter that works with my Milwaukee Fuel. 18v --> 12v. Works great.

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:21 PM »
Here's a link. This one brings out 12v to the leads. Cut off the plug and use some gator clips. Should work.

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Convert-Compatible-Battery-Converter/dp/B08KLBCC5Z

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:46 AM »
I use the straight 18v+ on my Garmins with no trouble, but I use a transformer on my Auqua-view.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2021, 08:53 AM »
I also use Ridgid to power a Garmin 73SV summer and winter. The input spec on the Garmin is 9-20V. The max voltage for the Ridgid battery is slightly more than that, but it does not seem to be a problem. I bought the Ridgid USB charger accessory and tore out the guts to get the battery socket, but the new Amazon option you found looks even better- much nicer than the 3D printed versions. I can fish all day with a 4AH battery.

Offline jjbarta

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:27 AM »
I hate to piggy back off of someones post but I have looked all over and this group seems to know their stuff.  I want to run my lights in my clam flip over off of my milwaukee batteries.  I already use the drill for my auger and my 5.o battery is lighter then the flasher battery I was using to run the light.  Any help?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:56 AM »
 jjbarta PM sent ..you may need one more post to get to your messages
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:06 AM »
Found these ..although he dosent have any Ridgid battery option ..he may be willing to

https://www.cobymanufacturing.com/product-page/prefinished-tool-battery-power-console

https://www.cobymanufacturing.com/product-page/dewalt-portable-power-adaptor
That appears to be a better option. Cheaper, and I like the terminal post output. The OP needs Rigid, not Dewalt. Not sure what the Dewalt battery layout is.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2021, 12:43 PM »
I hate to piggy back off of someones post but I have looked all over and this group seems to know their stuff.  I want to run my lights in my clam flip over off of my milwaukee batteries.  I already use the drill for my auger and my 5.o battery is lighter then the flasher battery I was using to run the light.  Any help?

So if you are using a flasher battery, I guess that means 12V. Lights would typically be 12V unregulated, so I am guessing 20+ volts a little much. You can buy a DC/DC converter to drop the voltage from your tool battery to whatever you want. This one is used by guys with a golf cart I think to run a 12V car radio, when the rest of the golf cart uses 24V

https://smile.amazon.com/EPBOWPT-Converter-Regulator-Voltage-Transformer/dp/B07V6X6L89/ref=psdc_10967761_t1_B00BWKXTUU?th=1

There are a lot of cheaper options depending on how comfortable you are wiring it up and building some sort of case for a PC board.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Got a little more info for those interested.  Some of the adapters limit the current output on the 12 volt side plug to 1 amp,  if your F/F takes more than that then you may have to look for other means.  I got this from a guy that's been using the Milwaukee adapter.

A Milwaukee M12 battery plus a M12 adapter will work, too which also has a small round plug on the side to give 12V output. The good thing is, this M12 battery is already 12V, so there are no conversion to 12V required. The 'bad' thing is, a M12 battery is usually of smaller capactiy/Ah such as 2.0, 3.0Ah which could power your fishfinder for not too long (say for a few hours depending on your fishfinder such as its monitor/screen size, etc)

On the other hand, with M18 battery with 18V, the M18 adapter needs to convert/lower 18V to 12V resulting in restriction with the conversion circuit board, giving at most 1.0amp output current, which in my case is fine to power my Lowrance fishfinder with a 7-inch monitor which requires/draws around 0.7amp current. I guess I am saying if you have a fishfinder that requires higher current output, then this M18 battery plus M18 adapter might not be good enough. The plus side of this M18 battery plus M18 battery combination is, you can easily get a 5, 6 9 or even 12Ah M18 battery which would be good to power your fishfinder for a long time. In my case I use a 9ah M18 battery, and it powers my fishfinder battery all day long.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:46 AM »
I went through this, trying to use my 40v Strikemaster batteries because I dont need the auger.

Purchased a 12v step down converter to get me 12v outputs from the 40v battery, then bought a 3D printed adapter to get me the power out of the 40v battery. I used it to run my Garmin 73sv in my kayak all summer and it worked great.

40V leads connect to input on step down converter, leads out of step down went to my power cord to unit.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2021, 11:02 AM »
A Milwaukee M12 battery plus a M12 adapter will work, too which also has a small round plug on the side to give 12V output. The good thing is, this M12 battery is already 12V, so there are no conversion to 12V required. The 'bad' thing is, a M12 battery is usually of smaller capactiy/Ah such as 2.0, 3.0Ah which could power your fishfinder for not too long (say for a few hours depending on your fishfinder such as its monitor/screen size, etc)

On the other hand, with M18 battery with 18V, the M18 adapter needs to convert/lower 18V to 12V resulting in restriction with the conversion circuit board, giving at most 1.0amp output current, which in my case is fine to power my Lowrance fishfinder with a 7-inch monitor which requires/draws around 0.7amp current. I guess I am saying if you have a fishfinder that requires higher current output, then this M18 battery plus M18 adapter might not be good enough. The plus side of this M18 battery plus M18 battery combination is, you can easily get a 5, 6 9 or even 12Ah M18 battery which would be good to power your fishfinder for a long time. In my case I use a 9ah M18 battery, and it powers my fishfinder all day long.
Yes, this is my message from another board:-)
Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.