Author Topic: Hitch carrier to haul a Snowdog  (Read 6691 times)

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hitch carrier to haul a Snowdog
« on: Dec 05, 2021, 01:10 PM »
Hey all, I’m really on the fence on investing in a Snowdog.  My biggest concern is hauling it.  I’d have to use a hitch carrier due to I can’t have a trailer and have an F150 with a short box that get full enough with my gear.  I’m wondering if hitch carries are heavy duty enough to carry the 350 to 400 lbs.  I know many are rated to 500 or more but are they truly that strong and reliable?  I’ve had equipment that is rated highly but really doesn’t stand up like it should.  I’d appreciate anyones input on brands and their experience.  Also what they might have had bad experience with and what to stay away from.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Stay safe and good luck this season!!

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hitch carrier to haul a Snowdog
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2021, 02:49 PM »

They will work. Look at the construction of it and get the highest rated weight you can find. This 1 was rated 600# and 2 halves bolted together. Added a few tack welds for good measure.
I don't remember the name but several out there. I had to cut off part on the rail so it loaded smoothly.

I added trailer lights to the carrier because my truck lights were covered.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Thanks Krispy.  Is that a Ranger mounted on the front?  How’s all that weight affect the driving? 

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:38 PM »
Yes Ranger.....so far so good. Haven't gone more then 12 miles yet and not in snow either.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2021, 12:52 PM »
Get the beefiest one you can, I used a carrier on the back of a Honda CRV and it worked ok. the carriers stick out farther so it does put a little bit extra load on your rear suspension.

One thing to note is the dog has a hard time sitting even, the front is considerably heavier than the rear. When i loaded it, it would lean to the heavy side a little bit.

Loading was easy, placed a ramp sideways and just pushed the dog onto it. One trip I forgot the ramp and ended up using a short length of wood, it was a pain but it worked.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2021, 08:33 PM »
When I bought my snowdog, I bought the Harbor Freight hitch wheelchair/scooter carrier and it worked great the first winter. I have then made a little adjustment to mine for this season to make it even better. I will try and get some pics this Sat when I get back home of the updated setup. But basically, I added a pressure treated piece of plywood with pressure treated 2x4 rails on the sides that match my snowdog sled and it makes it even easier to slide on/off the carrier. I also shortened the tongue of the carrier a little too so that it sits closer to the truck. Works great.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2021, 09:16 PM »
It’d be great to see how you’ve modified it.  Thanks!

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2021, 04:28 AM »
OK, here's a quick video of my hitch cargo carrier setup for hauling my Snowdog.

You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2021, 10:03 AM »
I don't have a sno dog but I thought video was very good..it cannot get much easier than that.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2021, 10:30 AM »
I don't have a sno dog but I thought video was very good..it cannot get much easier than that.

X2 ..very nice EZPZ solution
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2021, 01:05 PM »
I’m trying this one from Northern Tool. I haven’t had a chance to take it more than a couple miles yet. It’s rated for 500#’s hopefully it will hold up.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2021, 12:31 PM »
Both are some amazing setups. The hitch carriers seem like the way to go. Thanks for posting. It helps a lot to see them.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Gator which SnoDog is that you have ?
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2022, 12:18 PM »
Gator which SnoDog is that you have ?

It’s the new sport model.

Offline redzmvt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2022, 01:22 PM »
I’m trying this one from Northern Tool. I haven’t had a chance to take it more than a couple miles yet. It’s rated for 500#’s hopefully it will hold up.

I really wish they made this one without the folding option.I have read all the reviews on these carriers and many said that they are overrated on weight ratings.I would want one that mounts as close to the bumper as possible.And don't want to pay good money for one and have to further modify it.
The best reviews favored the Northern Tool Ultra Tow,but I could not find a non-folding one.I have a Snowdog Sport,340 lbs and currently use a 4x6 trailer.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2022, 01:16 PM »
the issue I have is the engine side always sags the carrier a bit because its extra weight, the carrier is rated for well above the snow dog weight. but when I load it, the carrier is crooked from the back...

Not sure what is the cause, do I need to cut the distance down between receiver and tray?
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2022, 02:02 PM »
I would have it as close as possible the longer it is the more leverage it has to break.... One good railroad crossing and your snowddog may be toast it would stick to have to take off the dogg to lower your gate but its better than totaling your dogg
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2022, 06:28 PM »
Gotta rock the boat. Never understood the move to more doors and less box. 8' box would accommodate alla that. Who you totin' in the two back seats? Hmmmm?

I should talk. I just went to an x-cab and hadda take a 6.5 foot box and already hate it. But try to find a regular cab, 8' box with decent accouterments. Few and far between so I kinda get it.

Nevertheless...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 20, 2022, 04:28 PM »
Gotta rock the boat. Never understood the move to more doors and less box. 8' box would accommodate alla that. Who you totin' in the two back seats? Hmmmm?
Grandma, Grandpa, and 4 granddaughters just fit in my crew cab.  Can’t put any of them in an 8’ box. 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2022, 08:36 PM »

I should talk. I just went to an x-cab and hadda take a 6.5 foot box and already hate it. But try to find a regular cab, 8' box with decent accouterments. Few and far between so I kinda get it.

Nevertheless...

I never understood the appeal of a short bed truck. The popularity of 1/2 ton crew cabs has made it worse. Most of them have 5.5 foot beds and people are starting to call 6.5 foot beds a long bed truck. Maybe they should make trucks with a 4 foot bed and 4x4 can describe the bed size and driveline. You could even have a 2WD 4x4 truck.

Offline cym

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2022, 09:56 PM »

Sorry but I'm bringing this thread back to life.  After a year of using the Ultra-Tow Hitch Carrier how is it holding up?  I'm thinking about getting one but I want an opinion from someone that has one first :)

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2022, 06:42 AM »
Sorry but I'm bringing this thread back to life.  After a year of using the Ultra-Tow Hitch Carrier how is it holding up?  I'm thinking about getting one but I want an opinion from someone that has one first :)

That carrier looks like a recipe for disaster!  With all the leverage and weight involved something will end up giving.  In my opinion a small trailer would be much safer.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07:06 AM »
That carrier looks like a recipe for disaster!  With all the leverage and weight involved something will end up giving.  In my opinion a small trailer would be much safer.

Yeah it is out there quite a ways ...think a ratchet strap or two from the outside corners ..up and over the tail gate and into the trucks tie downs would be a piece of mind .

Get a couple more posts under your belt and PM the member ...may respond faster
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Gator800r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2022, 09:57 AM »

[/quote]

After a year of use Im very happy with the purchase. I have a 3” receiver on my Super Duty, do I wish the carrier receiver was beefier and I didn’t have to use a reducer sure but I used it a lot last season and it has held up fine. I had plenty of people tell me “it’s a disaster waiting to happen” and it will never work ect. I believe if you use some common sense and don’t try flying down a washed out bumpy bush road it will hold up fine. Right now I think it’s the best option out there for people like me who want to keep the bed of their truck available for gear and have a quick and easy way to transport the dog. Im more than happy with it after a year. I also don’t believe a company would sell a product stating a 500lb capacity if it couldn’t handle it. Im sure there were plenty of load test done and they didn’t blindly state a 500lb load capacity.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2022, 01:25 PM »
I got 1 rated for 500# from Amazon last year and I haven't had any issues other then some rust blistering the paint. It's holding up fine. Took it with me to drag a deer during xbow season.

Offline cym

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:56 PM »

After a year of use Im very happy with the purchase. I have a 3” receiver on my Super Duty, do I wish the carrier receiver was beefier and I didn’t have to use a reducer sure but I used it a lot last season and it has held up fine. I had plenty of people tell me “it’s a disaster waiting to happen” and it will never work ect. I believe if you use some common sense and don’t try flying down a washed out bumpy bush road it will hold up fine. Right now I think it’s the best option out there for people like me who want to keep the bed of their truck available for gear and have a quick and easy way to transport the dog. Im more than happy with it after a year. I also don’t believe a company would sell a product stating a 500lb capacity if it couldn’t handle it. Im sure there were plenty of load test done and they didn’t blindly state a 500lb load capacity.

Thanks I value your input.  In the picture below do you think that section would fit right into the hitch without having to use the folded section?  Also, what did you use to secure your cargo hitch to the hitch so that it doesn't have any play?

Offline cym

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04:59 PM »

I'm trying to avoid a trailer so if anything I would just use the bed of my truck :)

Yeah it is out there quite a ways ...think a ratchet strap or two from the outside corners ..up and over the tail gate and into the trucks tie downs would be a piece of mind .

Get a couple more posts under your belt and PM the member ...may respond faster

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with the ratchet straps just so there's something holding the load other than the hitch.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 04, 2022, 01:43 AM »
Mine is holding up great. As I noted in the original video, I shortened the post on mine to sit tighter up against the truck (to reduce the possibility of over-stressing it with the unnecessary length) and it has been awesome. I also install a simple hitch tightener which completely eliminated the wobble. I do usually try to "take it easy" on backroads and what not...but there have been plenty of "oversights" when I went over a rut or rock too fast and really slammed the truck bed down hard...not a single issue. No bending, no wobble. I used it today when I took the snowdog into a lake in northern Utah and it was REALLY convenient pulling into the very crowded staging area where everyone had snowmobile trailers lined up all over the place. I just pulled in and parked so my passenger side faced the access road, and easy-peasy...in and out in minutes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.