Author Topic: Eggshells  (Read 2778 times)

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eggshells
« on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:34 PM »
Anybody else use crushed eggshells as an attracting while jigging?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
Re: Eggshells
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:35 PM »
Not unless ya want a thousand sparklies showing up on yer fish locator.............
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Up here egg shells were used so you could see down the hole better, not to attract fish.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:52 PM »
Up here egg shells were used so you could see down the hole better, not to attract fish.

We used 'em to see bottom, about same thing as what you said. Used to dump white rice down hole to mimic schools of tiny baitfish if there was a mild current. Never did much for me. Both are now illegal in Minnesota as they are considered "trash" or foreign substance.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:59 PM »
Old timers used 'em to see better. I've used a pinch or two of oatmeal to hold feeding fish from time to time. That kinda stuff can trick a flasher but it's pretty easy to tell the difference with a graph.

Be mindful of local laws. In WI, anything you put into the water you can't get back out might catch you a littering ticket if observed. That means eggshells, any sort of chum, etc. I've used chum bags for pike occasionally but I can retrieve them.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2021, 01:41 PM »
When I spear or sight fish I like to use the big white lima beans.  They sink really fast so you can place them strategically and they don’t blow away after you catch 1 fish.  I also use cut pieces of chum to add contrast to the bottom and as an attractant.  However as others have mentioned these techniques might not be legal where you live so check your refs.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2021, 04:34 PM »
i save them all year to use them when I'm sight fishing in shallow water. turn the electronics on and watch the show.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Pistachio shells work too.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2021, 09:52 AM »
I've used egg shells, oat meal, fish scales, pistachios when I bring them for a snack,  pretty much anything I have read.

Never had a trip that it made a big enough difference to keep doing it. I just use a rattle bait if i wanna try to get fish over to my spot, that seems to work just as well.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Anyone ever try little cheeseburgers?  ;D

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2021, 07:28 PM »
I've used the egg shells when spearfishing for Pike. They did work quite well for that.
Litening up the bottom, not attracting the fish that is.
But normally it's easier to watch my flasher and know when the fish come in.
 Rather than stare down the hole all day often times ending up with a sore back from doing so.
I can't say whether or not eggshells would work as an attractor but I would guess they might in the right situation for certain species.
Not that I'm going to try it though.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:07 PM »
Anything falling/sinking is a strong attractant to most fish. I have even seen bags of mica flakes used in the saltwater... I don't use any of it, I let my jig do the talking...

Offline Hillsfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2021, 10:46 PM »
A friend of mine uses oatmeal and sprinkles some in his hole.  I cannot say that he catches more fish than I do, but it probably does not hurt either.   

Online DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2021, 05:44 AM »
The oltimers used eggshells to brighten up the dark mucky bottoms of the lake for spearing not for a attractant.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2021, 06:05 AM »
The oltimers used eggshells to brighten up the dark mucky bottoms of the lake for spearing not for a attractant.

I still use eggshells for this.  Also use navy beans, sliced potatoes, pistachio shells - anything to contrast the dark bottom.  Also seems to help "see" thru somewhat murky or stained water. 

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2021, 08:08 AM »
When; using eggshells or potato peels its best to clean them first.
If theirs egg residue on the shells it can cloud the water if you put enough in at once.
Same for potato peels with all the starch.
But soak and rinse them a couple times before dropping in the lake and the water stays clear.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2021, 12:19 PM »
I have an old book with tips and tricks from guides. One of them, which I've used for perch fishing, is tying several small Colorado blades to your line, above the bait. What I did, was essentially make about a foot long leader with a heavier mono, tied on a small sivel, then the lighter mono with my bait. If you think about it, there's so many mods to this concept, that include line or lines next to hole, or maybe one of those umbrella rigs with multiple lines hanging down with a dozen or so blades on each. Another trick they mentioned is dropping a large weight down the hole and bouncing it off the bottom to stir things up, essentially chumming the water.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2022, 05:51 PM »
Oatmeal for a weedy bottom, lima beans for sandy bottom.
They both swell up as the day goes on to give old slushies a false sense of security that their vision hasn't faded.
If I'm on a carp or catfish heavy lake I'll use shelled corn for a roughfish spearfest.

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2022, 08:43 PM »
When I was a kid fishing Mississippi River backwaters, we used white rice to lighten the bottom for sight fishing when the water was murky.  Sometimes it was clear but you never knew so we always had a bag in the bucket.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2022, 10:06 PM »
Anything falling in the water column will attract "scavenger" type fish. Panfish, perch, baitfish, etc.

My buddy once dumped the pot of water we used to cook sausages right in his hole. He couldn't see anything on his flasher for a half hour and I absolutely slaughtered the bluegills as all that juices and fine particles of sausage greatness were falling in 20 feet of water. He was still catching them blindly in that hole the whole time.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.