Author Topic: Shiners?  (Read 3277 times)

Offline rlace19

• IceShanty Rookie
Shiners?
« on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:56 PM »
Anyone know a place that has live medium shiners in stock now?

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shiners?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:31 PM »
Dunns in moultonborough does I think.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2021, 06:54 AM »
Wildlife sports in manchester had shiners all year long i'm sure they got some.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:03 AM »
They do. Swung through there yesterday.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Haven’t been in there this season, but tackle shack in merideth.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:48 PM »
Trading post in Bristol said they were getting more in tomorrow morning.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2021, 09:56 PM »
If it’s an option trappin’s been good this week, warm water still has em active. I have enough to last for a good month now.  Saves me from running around trying to find bait. Hopefully only have by smelts again this year. 

Offline 802livin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2021, 06:28 AM »
If it’s an option trappin’s been good this week, warm water still has em active. I have enough to last for a good month now.  Saves me from running around trying to find bait. Hopefully only have by smelts again this year. 

I tired trapping my own shiners last year with zero luck. I tried I think 7 or 8 spots, all of which I was certain I’d pull something up 12 hours later. I have a minnow trap that I would set out with dog food for 12-18 hours and each time not a single minnow.

It was early season around now and then right after ice over. When it was open water I’d toss the trap out, when there was ice I’d keep it 2-3’ below the ice. I tried a small stream/river where there was a large pool of not really moving water, I tried this small pond that’s weedy and no more than 5-6’ deep is a couple spots there (also the same body of water I ice fish on), I tried pretty much a mud pit that always has just 1-2’ of water, I tried a very small pond that’s so small it doesn’t have a name that had all kinds of cattail weeds, also tried a small pong on a local golf course.

I am 100% positive it’s really the spots that I am trying that are just not good but looking for any tips or pointers on what I should be looking for for a good bait trapping spot.

OP- sorry to hijack your thread just saw the success bhardy had and am jealous.

Cheers!

Thanks

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 03, 2021, 07:05 AM »
I tired trapping my own shiners last year with zero luck. I tried I think 7 or 8 spots, all of which I was certain I’d pull something up 12 hours later. I have a minnow trap that I would set out with dog food for 12-18 hours and each time not a single minnow.

It was early season around now and then right after ice over. When it was open water I’d toss the trap out, when there was ice I’d keep it 2-3’ below the ice. I tried a small stream/river where there was a large pool of not really moving water, I tried this small pond that’s weedy and no more than 5-6’ deep is a couple spots there (also the same body of water I ice fish on), I tried pretty much a mud pit that always has just 1-2’ of water, I tried a very small pond that’s so small it doesn’t have a name that had all kinds of cattail weeds, also tried a small pong on a local golf course.

I am 100% positive it’s really the spots that I am trying that are just not good but looking for any tips or pointers on what I should be looking for for a good bait trapping spot.

OP- sorry to hijack your thread just saw the success bhardy had and am jealous.

Cheers!

Thanks

All I can say is don’t give up. Your doing nothing wrong. It took me nearly two years and 20 plus ponds to find just 2 good reliable producers. Both of those ponds are deep, spring fed, but no larger than a 1/4 acre.   

Growing up in Maine it seemed like every single puddle had em, never had any trouble catching them.  But down here it’s a lot different, a lot of places are just barren. 

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:23 AM »
I agree with this Bhardy. When I was younger living in Maine, we used to kill them everywhere. My old man actually had a bait business going out of the house that I'd help with.
Of course that was 30 years ago and things can change but in my experience Maine was far superior than NH for catching bait.
I've given up here in southern NH. Not a shiner to be had anywhere I can find.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2021, 09:09 AM »
I find it can be really hit or miss, shiners are picky in the little pond I live on... Toss the trap out and let it sink 3 feet to the bottom and nothing on a 24 hour soak, but hang that trap on stick so its tickling the surface in the same spot and get a few dozen in a couple hours. I have the best luck right next to the intake for the flood control unit and below the outlet pipe in the spillway... The spillway is pretty much rapids but the shiners dig it, though I do get a lot more baby bluegill mixed in under the spillway.
Just been buying my bait for the last 2 seasons except for the occasional hour or 2 jigging up big pondies. The 10-15 bucks a week is worth not having to deal with the traps and tank and more so dealing with the turds that mess with the traps...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2021, 11:00 AM »
The 10-15 bucks a week is worth not having to deal with the traps and tank and more so dealing with the turds that mess with the traps...
This is how I feel too Ray. Is what it is. Especially when many weekends I'm only buying a dozen chasing trout. It only gets a little pricey when I take my boy out bassin and we're smokin through 5 doz a day...lol

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12:47 PM »
This is how I feel too Ray. Is what it is. Especially when many weekends I'm only buying a dozen chasing trout. It only gets a little pricey when I take my boy out bassin and we're smokin through 5 doz a day...lol

Small price to pay to see your boy chasing flags all day though right? Hopefully he pulls off that 8+ wall hanger this year.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:20 PM »

Just been buying my bait for the last 2 seasons except for the occasional hour or 2 jigging up big pondies. The 10-15 bucks a week is worth not having to deal with the traps and tank and more so dealing with the turds that mess with the traps...

For most folks I agree, but both my bait ponds are within 10 minutes of my house, and fairly private.  My shack is also less than 10 minutes from my house so if the mood strikes or a couple hours suddenly open up I’m rolling. 

I’ve kept many aquariums my entire life, so for me…it’s just another tank! 

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2021, 01:31 PM »
I agree with this Bhardy. When I was younger living in Maine, we used to kill them everywhere. My old man actually had a bait business going out of the house that I'd help with.
Of course that was 30 years ago and things can change but in my experience Maine was far superior than NH for catching bait.
I've given up here in southern NH. Not a shiner to be had anywhere I can find.

Seems like back then practically every mom and pop convenience store sold bait as well in the “back” room next to the returnables center!  I used sell em under the table when I was kiddo, or trade for free pizzas! 

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2021, 03:53 PM »
I had to stop trapping at my regular spot, because someone kept pulling my traps out of the water. It’s a walk to the stream in back of my house but I know I’m cutting across other peoples property to get there, but nothing is posted and my neighbors are cool and said it wasn’t them, so I just stopped.  Not worth getting into a argument with someone who thinks they own the stream. I thought about putting a game camera out to see but again just not worth my time. I have enough success on artificial lures

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:07 PM »
A homeowner woman was talking to me one day as I was about to go open water fishing at the access next to her house. Wishing me luck, blah blah.

Then she told me that some people were there at times with traps "catching all those little fish that could have gotten bigger for you to catch" and she was "so angry" about them. She called F&G blah blah. Bad, bad men.

Some people don't even know the difference between shiners and shinola (ha! See what I did there? I crack myself up) They are fighting an imaginary battle for an unreal cause. I probably should have tried to nicely explain things to her, but I just wanted to get away from her and go fishing. In retrospect, I should have at least tried to. Some folks might understand and stop messing with people's traps.

Here's the kicker.....I had heard the fisherman's version of the story the year before. It was Jiggin.  :roflmao:
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:18 PM »
The water was so low last year that I couldn't trap bait in my usual spot. I'll probably set a couple traps tomorrow or Sunday with DeMoulas brand dog food and DeMoulas brand cheese curls if it doesn't have a skim coat of ice yet. It's a little swamp, but a couple years ago I got a sucker in a regular shiner trap.
As for who has them in stock, I personally don't know of anyone, but NH Fish & Game has a page with bait dealers. You could try finding that page and calling them to find out who has some.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Berry's bait on rt 11 in New Durham has shiners.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2021, 09:04 PM »
Berry's bait on rt 11 in New Durham has shiners.

Hey James! Hope all is well!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2021, 09:32 PM »
Hey Frank, Things are good here as i hope You and yours are as well! Happy holidays to you and your family!

Hey James! Hope all is well!

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 04, 2021, 08:44 AM »
Anyone know a place that has live medium shiners in stock now?

Leroy's Bait in Rochester 603-923-3009

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 04, 2021, 10:32 AM »
Leroy's Bait in Rochester 603-923-3009
Good call Steve!
I can attest it's good bait. And probably the cheapest around

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:01 PM »
Good call Steve!
I can attest it's good bait. And probably the cheapest around

He sure tries! At 85 I'm surprise he still traps beaver and gets around like he does. Thanks for supporting him!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:21 PM »
He sure tries! At 85 I'm surprise he still traps beaver and gets around like he does. Thanks for supporting him!

Is Leroy his real name Steve? Reason I ask is he reminds me of a old trapper I knew as a real young kid in Dover named Bob.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Is Leroy his real name Steve? Reason I ask is he reminds me of a old trapper I knew as a real young kid in Dover named Bob.
I'm sure it's the Bob you remembered...Leroy is actually his middle name. He's still trapping at 85!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:07 AM »
Wow! Knew it was him, but only ever spoke with him in lowlight conditions. Hasn’t seen him in 20 years. Bob McMaster local trapping legend I’ll haveto bring it up next time.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2021, 07:12 AM »
I took Trapper Education with he and Mel Liston and Steve Lacrosse way back too.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11:24 AM »
A homeowner woman was talking to me one day as I was about to go open water fishing at the access next to her house. Wishing me luck, blah blah.

Then she told me that some people were there at times with traps "catching all those little fish that could have gotten bigger for you to catch" and she was "so angry" about them. She called F&G blah blah. Bad, bad men.

Some people don't even know the difference between shiners and shinola (ha! See what I did there? I crack myself up) They are fighting an imaginary battle for an unreal cause. I probably should have tried to nicely explain things to her, but I just wanted to get away from her and go fishing. In retrospect, I should have at least tried to. Some folks might understand and stop messing with people's traps.

Here's the kicker.....I had heard the fisherman's version of the story the year before. It was Jiggin.  :roflmao:

Too funny! Yes me and Laker Taker were involved in that with her. She kept hollering to us to get off the lake and take our traps with us. We were accused of taking all the fish and ruining the scenery with our floating jugs. She threaten to call Fish n Game on us. Hoping that was going to happen but didnt. Instead I think it was her husband told her to get her ass back in the house and apologized to us for her behavior.
That's not the first or only time we had run in's with people not liking their lake ruined by our traps. Lol

Thanks for the walk down memory lane Guinea!

Good times.

Offline swnoel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2021, 12:49 PM »
I took Trapper Education with he and Mel Liston and Steve Lacrosse way back too.

Never met Steve Lacrosse, but knew Mel. Did you take your trapper education at their Rendezvous? My youngest and I took ours 20 years ago there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.