Author Topic: Jiffy Torch First Holes in the Ice  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Sparkle

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Torch First Holes in the Ice
« on: Nov 30, 2021, 10:40 PM »
Hey guys. Heres my buddies first use of the Jiffy Torch . Enjoy

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Jiffy Torch First Holes in the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:48 AM »
dont appear to have any edge over regular jiffy auger.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:52 AM »
Drills a hole like my hundred year old lazer. Hope he picks up the KFC trash on way out.
Measure stick auger really?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:30 AM »
I thought the drill sounded underpowered.put a Milwaukee or ridgid octane to it.

Offline MNice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:50 AM »
Measure stick auger really?

I thought the same thing!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:18 AM »
I thought the drill sounded underpowered.put a Milwaukee or ridgid octane to it.

YouTube has his list of products in description  ..looks like he is running a DCD996 ..should have enough torque to run that set up ..I think its the chipper style blade making it appear/under torqued slow ..it does kind sound and drill like my K-Drill..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:45 AM »
As I commented on the video thread, it sure sounds like the drill was working hard with that bit.  As far as battery life and number of holes it will not be able to compete with any of the shaver offerings.   Too much torque demand from that Jiffy.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:00 AM »
I get it will take more power to turn it but im a fan of jiffy chipper blades as they last forever.i still have original blades on my 70s 1 armed bandit and have never sharpened them.might save money over the years with that bit if its a true jiffy chipper blade.

Offline IceSpartan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:10 AM »
I carry a dollar store tape measure to check the ice thickness.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:48 AM »
It sounds like a KDrill because it is a KDrill knockoff. Measuring stick? I thought I fell for everything but that’s just crazy. Ice scoop handle or fingers work great in the few times you care.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:19 AM »
What diameter is the scout? Big enough for a transducer?
Oops! is too late.

Offline Owesome_Otter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:31 AM »
2 1/2"

https://www.jiffyonice.com/AUGERS/Hand-Drill/Ice-Scout

I was thinking it would make a good camera or transducer hole. Both for scouting or when stationary.

Offline Jimbow11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Agreed, it's another chipper just like the K-Drill many are starting to move away from. Why would Jiffy "introduce" a new auger that pretty much copies an auger the market is already moving away from?

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:05 PM »
Anyone else notice he was drilling at a slight angle ? That will make any auger work harder.

I glued a circle level on my setup. To ensure I drill at a 90 degrees. Anyway not impressed with either.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2021, 09:33 PM »
Would've liked to see it work better. To call it a kdrill knockoff is kinda humorous considering jiffy has been using chipper blades for 50 years and it doesn't have the strange kdrill features. They'll sell in areas with dirty ice but I was hoping for better.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2021, 11:56 PM »
I ordered one from Cabelas for $150.....thought it looked good. After Unboxing it....I returned it and got my money back.

After looking at it up close....these where my pro's/cons

Pro's
Center point
Full flights to lift snow
Snap on cover......No rubber bungie or bands to bust.
Full plate on the cutting head (resist being bent and smooth break through.)
Cuts dirty ice well
Won't throw shavings like K drill.

Con's
No support/collar around the quick swap pin.
Quick swap pin is held in by a stiff plastic.
Quick swap system in general
Slow cutting-single blade.
Looks like it take a lot of torque......would the shaft hol up to quick swap pin....without any support besides the thin pipe wall.
Center point is not removable/replaceable
Steel cutting head mount....will rust vs Poly cutting head mounts.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2021, 04:10 AM »

To me, it was embarrassing that the auger fell off the first thing, good thing for the oversized disc. Also he couldn't drill a straight hole.
             I have an Ion auger so I'm good, yes it's a little bigger but I don't have any problems with it drilling holes. And I don't need the measure stick,
             just a waste of money.

IW

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2021, 05:28 AM »
The entire logic behind this design elludes me. A 2 1/2" auger is meant for a transducer or camera hole. I would think the whole point is for quick scouting, ie faster holes using less battery to find the fish. Definaly a good idea and something I have considered in the past.

Why would you make a small auger like this with slow, juice drawing chipper blades? Kind of defeats the purpose, no?

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2021, 12:36 PM »
yeah you can tell a single blade chipper style is going to be slower.  I prefer the kdrill dual chipper blade style over even the shaver blade style for the areas I fish.   

That smaller checker jobby, is kind of a waste imo.  its just big enough to get a small ducer down it I guess but i'm assuming its too small for my LX5 dual beam or a tribeam.  but a spud bar will show you 3-4" with 2 wacks, what more do you need. 

I see the value in a scouting auger but that one seems hardly efficient. 

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2021, 06:18 PM »
yeah you can tell a single blade chipper style is going to be slower.  I prefer the kdrill dual chipper blade style over even the shaver blade style for the areas I fish.   

That smaller checker jobby, is kind of a waste imo.  its just big enough to get a small ducer down it I guess but i'm assuming its too small for my LX5 dual beam or a tribeam.  but a spud bar will show you 3-4" with 2 wacks, what more do you need. 

I see the value in a scouting auger but that one seems hardly efficient.

If I was a resort up north that plowed & maintained roads the small scout auger for checking the ice would be great. It would also be nice on scouting the ice to find where to put the roads. Other than that type of application, who is going to use it? If I'm on unsafe ice.....I'll bust through before the drill gets through.

Offline Hunt n Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2021, 11:10 PM »
Dang you guys are brutal!  Looks to me like it performs just like it’s designed to. Unless it’s suppose to do more than cut a hole in the ice. By the way my auger set up is better than all of yours.  It’s faster, cleaner, stronger, lighter, longer lasting, easier to maintain, better looking, quieter, bigger and cheaper.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2021, 11:34 PM »
Dang you guys are brutal!  Looks to me like it performs just like it’s designed to. Unless it’s suppose to do more than cut a hole in the ice. By the way my auger set up is better than all of yours.  It’s faster, cleaner, stronger, lighter, longer lasting, easier to maintain, better looking, quieter, bigger and cheaper.

Nuh uh mine is.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2021, 02:46 PM »

That’s a racist auger………I WIN.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:04 AM »

Maybe, but mine catches more and bigger fish.
It must be something in the water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.