Author Topic: current battery augers  (Read 1902 times)

Offline fredjiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
current battery augers
« on: Nov 28, 2021, 01:34 PM »
Looking to buy a battery auger. What is the current wisdom on the subject?  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: current battery augers
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2021, 01:38 PM »
Milluakee fuel 18v & K-drill. 7 lbs & can overlap holes & drill old holes . Free sharpening also. In four seasons mine still fine anyway. I fish a lot on the hard water & its really been fantastic. Company history is a good read

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2021, 05:28 PM »
I like my K drill super light  and fast     you will need a good battery drill    easy to pack    the Milwaukee fuel is the one recommended and has worked the best for me I started with a dewalt  then went a ridgid but the fuel 18 volt works the best 6 to 8  inches of ice you get 40 to50 holes on a 4 amp battery  be careful when buying a Milwaukee drill not all 28 volt Milwaukee drills are are fuel drills  I have not seen a better drill yet but the milwauke mud mixer works great too its just about 3 times heavier than the drill

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2021, 06:30 PM »
Current cordless drills to do the job

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!

As for auger drill bit units

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING /SHE SHED DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

Make/Model                                          Price

Vevor ..........                   Mora/straight   $$
HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight    $$$
Eskimo Pistol Bit/ION.. Mora/Straight     $$$$
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved    $$$$
K Drill...                      Chipper             $$$$
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight    $$$
Nils.................. ..........                       $$$$$
Razr S                                                 $$$
Mora hand auger....     Mora/Straight      $$
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2021, 06:35 PM »
Looking to buy a battery auger. What is the current wisdom on the subject?  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Are you looking to buy a dedicated ice auger/powerhead combo, or a cordless drill/hand auger setup?

Either way, lots of info here....https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=73.0

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2021, 07:53 PM »
ill put my name in for the drill auger combo too.  i like my ridgid(came with 9ah) and old jiffy bit.  friend made a simple adapter from bar stock for me.  like said any drill with the power will do. the jiffy head puts less stress on drill. imo  read past opinions for a while on here.  been lots of threads on this to educate.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline fredjiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2021, 08:21 PM »
Thanks to all for the advice concerning augers. Ice will be here soon. Fred :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2021, 08:51 AM »
fred mostly your best choice will depend on the type of ice fishing you prefer do set tip ups  and jig one or two holes or do run and gun  I don't spend a lot  on tip ups I mostly jig some days I only drill 12 to 15 holes then I have days I will drill 40 to 50 holes  and if i am in shallower water with the hub shelter I might drill a 12 inch by 24 in holes for sight fishing   but with that all said the more capable your auger yhe more holes will drill just because of the ease of being able to move

Offline fredjiggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2021, 06:42 PM »
Ordered the k-drill. I will buy the Fuel hammer drill. Do I need an adapter for this set-up? Thanks. Fred  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2021, 08:48 PM »
No adapter , put it in the chuck , attach handle to drill , 1st gear & drill away !

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2022, 07:04 PM »
The K drill is sweet, I like that it has the foam built in just in case it ever came loose.

I still have my Strikemaster Lazer that I got about 10 years ago and love it. I've had to change the blades and batteries once, cuts great with no signs of slowing down. I think weighs around 22-24 pounds.
Marking anything?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.