Author Topic: First ice  (Read 2333 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
First ice
« on: Nov 25, 2021, 06:07 PM »
Finally found some safe ice on a very small lake in Southern Quebec. Mainly 3-3.5 inches solid. Spud bar and flotation suit were in order.
Bite wasn't too hot, 8 perch and 2 sunfish, none over 9 inches.

Visited by the police as well, noticed a few cars stopping to call them. They weren't able to access the lake from their parking spot due to feeder creek, I had launched from a friend's private property. They left me alone after they figured out that I knew what I was doing, they even asked in I had any history of mental issues   ;D

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2021, 09:38 PM »
That sucks, I’m sorry the cops bothered you. I’ve been kicked off 8+ inches of ice the past few years 3 times and 2 of the times they were threatening to arrest me and took my ID and detained me even though I wasn’t breaking any laws. In all 3 instances they didn’t even set foot on the ice to check the thickness. The cops are getting worse and worse.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2021, 06:29 AM »
That sucks, I’m sorry the cops bothered you. I’ve been kicked off 8+ inches of ice the past few years 3 times and 2 of the times they were threatening to arrest me and took my ID and detained me even though I wasn’t breaking any laws. In all 3 instances they didn’t even set foot on the ice to check the thickness. The cops are getting worse and worse.

I've come to expect this kind of thing anytime I fish early ice. I typically go up to small towns at elevation in cottage country, the second anyone sees you on early ice, they call the cops. Luckily, provincial and federals laws stipulate that all lakes are public property, and that we have the right to fish them during their respective open seasons.

The problem becomes access and parking. If I access a lake from a municipal parking spot, I may run into issues. Others claim to have bi-laws regarding ice safety, got kicked of such one lake by the fire dept a few years ago.

I've figured out that showing confidence in your knowledge of your rights as well as staying relaxed and friendly, will go a very long way in order to get them to understand. Last winter, I got checked at same spot, ended up inviting the cops onto the ice. As he was a hunter, he obliged, and all ended well. This time, after they realized that I was wearing a floating survival suit and managed to walk all over the lake without going through, they relaxed. I invited them to join me, but they refused.

I may go back to the same region next week, so I called cops this morning to tell them in avance. They appreciated me calling them, but told me that they are forced to respond to calls by law, so if anyone calls, I'll be seeing them again.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2021, 11:10 AM »
FreshwaterPhil thank you for the photos congratulations on catching a few early ice fish. Some people are concerned about your safety others see the lake /pond as their property and do not want others fishing . I find being polite,respectful and like you showing a knowledge of ice fishing and your safety gear goes a long ways when dealing with the police responding to a call of a person/people on what the person phone caller  believes is thin ice.
 Steve

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2021, 06:58 PM »
Aggressive little sunfish.  Yah Ive been tossed off the ice by the Parks and Rec guys b4. Jeez it was 5.5" but they said its gotta be freekin 6".
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2021, 09:08 AM »

Visited by the police as well, noticed a few cars stopping to call them. They weren't able to access the lake from their parking spot due to feeder creek, I had launched from a friend's private property. They left me alone after they figured out that I knew what I was doing, they even asked in I had any history of mental issues   ;D

Silly thing to ask an ice fisherman. Clearly we have mental issues.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2021, 04:27 PM »
Silly thing to ask an ice fisherman. Clearly we have mental issues.

+1 on that  ;D

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2021, 07:49 PM »
+1 on that  ;D

I am an Ice Fisher,,,,,,,nothing else needed. Maybe......can you point me to the closest Bait Shop
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:47 PM »
Went back today to try to fish another adjacent lake before it closes for the winter at midnight tonight. Unfortunately, only 2.5 - 3 inches solid with a couple inches of snow cover, wasn't confident enough to venture out. The smallmouth there are going to have to wait for my topwaters from my float tube next summer.

Ended up back on the same lake as last Thursday, managed a few dozen perch. Zone closed now, so that's it for that lake until at least next year.

Looks like calling the cops in advance to let them know I'm coming, did the trick, they didn't bother coming out again :)

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:49 PM »
Nice catch!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2021, 08:53 AM »
In instances like this I would be inclined to call the environmental police. If it's a public lake and or state property the EPOs will set the local guys straight. This happens alot during hunting season throughout the country.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2021, 08:55 AM »
I see now that this post is from Canada, not sure how your laws work but I imagine it would be similar? Do you guys have game wardens?
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2021, 09:25 AM »
I see now that this post is from Canada, not sure how your laws work but I imagine it would be similar? Do you guys have game wardens?

Yes, we have wardens, but their powers and mandates are very limited here. They can't arrest people, just give wildlife related fines. As I was still in season on that lake, it had noting to do whit them. The police came because people called them about me being on potentially thin ice, a nearby jurisdiction ance sent the fire dept in similar case with me. Knowing my rights and being nice/reassuring about it did the trick.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.