Author Topic: Working on a new home built jawjacker  (Read 3669 times)

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Working on a new home built jawjacker
« on: Feb 20, 2021, 11:39 AM »
I have a couple of jawljackers, as well as a few "mouse jackers" that I made a few years ago. I have a new idea for a 2 stage trigger like the Jawjackers use, so I am going to try  a new design.

What other things should I try to incorporate? The jaw jacker is a really good design, but I also like making and using my own stuff. If I had a 3D printer, or could manufacture things commercially, it would be fun to start from the jaw jacker and improve, but since I have just the woodworking basics, I am trying to get as good as I can, and still have something reasonable to make.

I already know I want a design where the trigger lever that detects the strike does not have to hold the entire force of the rod, and that I don't want to put a trigger through the rod guide, where it can damage either the line or the guide.

I want it to be reasonable to build with simple tools, using reasonably priced and available materials.

Any suggestions on approach or requirements is welcome. I will post progress and the final result.

:tipup:

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Working on a new home built jawjacker
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:25 PM »
If there was a way to incorporate  a Chamberlin Downrigger release to work that would be nice for adjustability.

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:37 PM »
I made my 1st set using 2” PVC pipe.  I used 36” graphite rods with just a slight bend to them, when it was set, so I didn’t rip the lips off the fish.  I designed them so the rod would fit inside of the pvc pipe for protection.  They were a little bulky and heavy and my reels were unprotected.  I made a new set 2 years ago using 1/2 pvc and got the weight down to 14oz’s a piece.   I put the rods in a case now. Still trying to make them fit into the case or on the rod case so it’s easier to store the entire set as 1 unit.   If you could keep the weight down and make them easily packable would be nice. Also a way for the fish to take some line before the hook is set helps on some days. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:39 PM »
If there was a way to incorporate  a Chamberlin Downrigger release to work that would be nice for adjustability.

That sounds interesting. I like the idea of a magnet to set the trigger force- it should be adjustable by setting the air gap when it is closed. Will try and figure out a way to prototype something like that.

:tipup:

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2021, 02:55 PM »
My most reliable "mouse Jackers" were built to use a 4.5 foot telescopic spinning rod. It was bent so that it had a lot more lift when triggered than you could get from a 28 inch ice rod. That seemed to keep tension on the fish better while you were hustling over to grab the rod. Anyway, I lost less fish.
The problem was the base had to be a lot bigger to fit the longer rod. Would others use a longer rod if it worked better, or would you stick with more traditional sizes?

Offline Nysrx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2021, 05:24 PM »
Yes i use 35 inch light rods with quick tips on my make shift jackers with the mouse trap trigger. They are set to just use the 35 inch rods. No adjustment for any other length.  I remove the springs from the traps. My only adjustment for tension is where i position the trigger arm through tip.  Closer to the trigger end makes it tighter.  Sliding it to the back of the trap makes it a hair trigger. I just use jigs with spikes or mealworms.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:25 PM »
Here is my first try at the 2 stage trigger. It is made of stainless welding wire, deck screws, and poly tubing. Parts cost less than the mouse traps I used to start with, and it is way more sensitive. I am looking for ideas to make it adjustable, perhaps the magnet idea could work, but I need to find a cheap and simple solution for that.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:55 PM »
I like that, looks good

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2021, 01:14 PM »
reminds me of my mole trap trigger.  That should work nice.  Polish the contact surfaces and add some good grease. 
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline R-K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:19 PM »
Can't see the pictures on this. Is it just my browser? Considering a two-stage trigger on my next set up DIY hooksetters.
Trying to stay on the right side of the ground, and the ice.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:42 PM »
Tried to post the picture again- the tool to add an image to the post gave an error- "could not connect to server" Perhaps there is a temporary problem with the server for images that will be fixed.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2021, 04:55 PM »
If I was to make my own I would not use the jawjacker as a model to base it off of.
To be honest I can't stand the rod holders that use the tension of the rod to set the hook.
In fact I gave away my jawjacker once I tried my AK salmon bear for the first time
The rat trap style or AK salmon bear style are so much better.
And in my opinion at least for me they do a much better job and much less risk of damaging your rod.
So I would consider going that route over having a bent Rod to set your hook.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2021, 06:11 PM »
I made these. 2 for $20.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2021, 06:36 PM »
Nice

Offline R-K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Tried to post the picture again- the tool to add an image to the post gave an error- "could not connect to server" Perhaps there is a temporary problem with the server for images that will be fixed.

Photos are back up. Guess it was a server issue. Thanks for the extra effort!
Trying to stay on the right side of the ground, and the ice.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Still illegal in Minnysoda..... >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Still illegal in Minnysoda..... >:(

But tipups aren't? Go figure.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2021, 01:37 PM »
That's because the DNR sees them as "a mechanically activated hooking device" . Tips ups just ALERT you to the fact the fish just hooked himself.... ::)     🐟~~~~~------

I mean, look who we've got for a governor.....that should tell ya somethin'.  :wacko:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2021, 03:28 PM »
Last year the PA Fish and Boat Commission put out a release stating that they were illegal. A lot of us contacted them and it was put on the April meeting agenda. A lot of us then sent e-mails and phone calls (In support of legalizing them during the public comment period) and they actually discussed it and eventually voted to make them legal.

Y’all should do the same! It seems in this age of social media, it’s pretty easy to get support for an issue............😎
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2021, 04:34 PM »
Last year the PA Fish and Boat Commission put out a release stating that they were illegal. A lot of us contacted them and it was put on the April meeting agenda. A lot of us then sent e-mails and phone calls (In support of legalizing them during the public comment period) and they actually discussed it and eventually voted to make them legal.

Y’all should do the same! It seems in this age of social media, it’s pretty easy to get support for an issue............😎

We have, they've been hit from every angle. Had TONS of signatures, comparisons, Emails, etc.  Minnesota DNR is impossible to deal with on the laws they make. Trust me.  You best not have a fire on the ice and leave a single twig or any ashes behind, either....*KAPOW*

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2021, 04:38 PM »
That's because the DNR sees them as "a mechanically activated hooking device" . Tips ups just ALERT you to the fact the fish just hooked himself.... ::)     🐟~~~~~------

I mean, look who we've got for a governor.....that should tell ya somethin'.  :wacko:

Looking at Minnesota politics, I just assumed you elected people purely for entertainment value.  ;D

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Looking at Minnesota politics, I just assumed you elected people purely for entertainment value.  ;D

Well, we usually do. We try to pick ex-wrestlers and others with a lot of entertainment experience........ ;D

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:40 AM »
mine similiar to iceassin rig.  just few less parts.  can make 4 for 20$

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2021, 09:40 AM »
mine similiar to iceassin rig.  just few less parts.  can make 4 for 20$

:thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.