Author Topic: Tip-ups for Walleyes?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip-ups for Walleyes?
« on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:35 PM »
I typically target Northerns and Perch while jigging but I know there are plenty of Walleye in the waters I fish.  Once the pike bite goes quiet (usually right at dusk) I'd like to consider moving to a spot that could/should have Walleye coming in after dark (I've caught them in this area by accident in the summer).

Given water depths of 50ft, 20ft, 8ft or 3ft where would you set up after dark for walleye?

Any tips for minnow depth off the bottom? 

Would you downsize bait from pike size to target Walleyes?

I understand jigging is the preferred method and I'd probably try jigging in the shelter, but if I'm outside, I might as well try to increase my odds, right?

Thx.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip-ups for Walleyes?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Make your move in shallow at night anywhere from 6-3 ft. I like to drill all my holes and hour or two before dusk so as not to make a lot of noise and allow time for things to settle back in. Walleye will move from the depths where they hangout during the day and move in shallow at night. I run jaw jackers about 6inches off the bottom. Medium sized minnows 3-4". Rig is super simple, #6 tru turn hook with split shot about 16" up the line, leave up six inches off the bottom.

Offline St. Lawrence River Guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:56 AM »
Thanks - for the info.  I'll let you know if it works out (once the weather changes for good).

Chute82

« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2016, 06:13 AM »
I would target them in that 8-12 ft range.  Like others have said pre drill your holes and keep your movements on the ice to a minimal.  3" creek chub or minnow off the bottom 6" ,use a floro leader. 

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:35 AM »
When we set up for walleyes for the evening hrs. we fish from 20' down to as shallow as  3' starting in 20' drill all your holes early and sound them, then at just before dark you will start catching or getting flags at 20' working into the shallows next. Know your area for catching them is also key

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2016, 07:06 AM »
We fish from 30' on in.  We try to get larger buckeye minnows.  Fish them 2' off the bottom.  Using a size 8 octopus hook with a chartreuse bead above it.  Good rig for perch too.

Offline builtright716

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2016, 10:23 AM »
St. Lawrence Guy, I'm from Western NY but fish Black Lake, Chaumont, and Oneida Quite regularly through the ice. Walleye is my preferred species. As others have stated, you have to be stealthy, meaning have your holes prepped hours before primetime. I usually set up on the slope of some obvious structure in the area. One at the bottom, a few moving up the slope, and one at the top. Baits of choice for me are big sucker chubs #1, or big golden shiners #2. I use the same rigs as I do for pike. Small treble, one or two glow beads, enough split shot to keep bait down, and I clip the tail fin of all the baits so they cant swim to fast. Set within two feet of the bottom and wait for game time. Using large baits, I usually let them eat for a little bit after a flag then just pull the line tight and fight them in.

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2016, 10:03 PM »
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but where is your guys' preferred hooking method with trebles on minnows. Through the lips? Mid body???

Thanks. I'm very much a walleye noobie. Especially through the ice.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline avidoutdoor24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2016, 10:29 AM »
I typically will hook them in the back on a tip up. Front of the fin for usual use and behind when the fish seem to want more action out of the minnow. May sound silly but has worked in the past

Offline badsparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2016, 11:05 AM »
We thread all our minnows, it has drastically improved out hookup rate on tip ups for walleye and perch.

Badsparky

Offline Pause Game

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:31 AM »
Forgive me for being late to the party... So should we be using a treble hook on these rigs or a single hook?

Chute82

« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:01 PM »
Forgive me for being late to the party... So should we be using a treble hook on these rigs or a single hook?

I personally like a treble hook size #8. Some guys like single hooks or circle hooks..to each their own

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:09 PM »
We thread all our minnows, it has drastically improved out hookup rate on tip ups for walleye and perch.

Badsparky
I'm interested to see how u thread them do u have a picture or an illustration?
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Chute82

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2017, 06:27 PM »
This guys shows how to thread a live minnow

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcuVOnHqSk

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2017, 12:40 AM »
I normally thread minnows for streaming  fishing like the video showed but does any one thread them so the minnows hang horizontal?
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.