Author Topic: Question about live imaging units  (Read 1286 times)

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Question about live imaging units
« on: Feb 16, 2024, 06:22 PM »
Hey guys.  I’m sure I could search around and find my answers, but I just had a few questions regarding live imaging units like Livescope, MegaLive, and Active Target.   

I have absolutely zero experience with any of them. Just a flasher.  I’ve had my eyes on getting a Livescope unit before next ice season.  I was just wondering, are they pretty easy to learn to use? I see all the guys on YouTube using them and they appear to be easy to read, but wasn’t sure about if the setup was also simple or if it took a while to figure it out.

When looking at the Livescope for example, I see you can get several options, but I see there’s a Livescope ice fishing bundle. Does that include EVERYTHING I’d need ?

Next, what can I expect for battery life on these?  Is a sun up to sun down trip possible on one full charge?

And lastly, is spending the extra for the lithium battery option worth it?    I see Amazon has the lithium bundle for like 2800, while the regular one is just under 2400.

Appreciate your help guys.   We don’t have very good ice here in Michigan so all I can do is pout about it, talk about ice fishing, and prepare for the 24/25 season.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Question about live imaging units
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2024, 07:20 PM »
Good video on comparability ...as far as what you get with each package/bundle Garmin/Lowrance has on the product page "in the box" drop down ....

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2024, 09:54 AM »
It is a pretty good video for sure.  As far as comparing each individual unit. 

It doesn’t exactly address my specific questions though as I think that video seems to talk more about its use on a boat instead of the ice, unless I don’t quite understand it.

I’ve been using a flasher for a lot of years and as almost everyone knows, they’re very easy to use and transport and setup. I didn’t know if these live imaging units were a pain to haul around or setup,  if the whole unit fits and is transported in one single case or if it’s a bunch of pieces I’d have to carry around.  And comparing prices I just wonder is the lithium model worth the extra money or not. I’m used to going out on a day trip sun up to down and one battery charge on my vexilar lasts the whole day, so I wasn’t sure if that would be the case on these units or if I had to step up to the lithium model to get a full days worth of use.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2024, 01:18 PM »
….completely forgot there was a specific “Electronics” forum.  I should’ve posted there, my bad.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2024, 01:16 PM »
I tried the Garmin bundle initially when they first came out, but I went with a shuttle, pole, a mount for the boat for the pole, and pretty much everything accessory wise from Summit Fishing Equipment.  https://summitfishingequipment.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6H-gI24hAMVCQutBh3LCAyxEAAYASAAEgK3rfD_BwE
I would definitely get the LiFePO4 battery. I went with a 30ah and it has only run down on me twice on 12+ hour days. These units are heavy and bulky, but they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to catching A LOT more fish. It's a lot of money, but man it completely changed our fishing. I don't fish without mine. Just because you buy the unit doesn't mean fish are gonna jump in the boat either. There are tons of videos on YouTube loaded with valuable information. I learn something new every time I watch them. If you have to take a second mortgage on the house, it's totally worth the investment, and the return is way more fish on the ice or in the boat. 

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2024, 01:58 PM »
They are easy to learn. Watch some videos and then take it out and get some real world, hands on experience.
They bundles will include everything you  need but you will end up wanting to upgrade what you can purchase as a bundle, thus the reason guys "build" them.  " Build" meaning they get the shuttle, the pole, batteries and case from different vendors.
Arclab has the best shuttle and pole on the market. You will pay for these but you will only buy them one time. I wouldn't by anything that is printed plastic and expect it to hold up to winter conditions. Just buy the Arclab stuff, cry once, and then be happy knowing it wont fail on you when you need it.
Sun up to sun down battery life is definitely possible. Not sure that it is with what comes in the bundles though. I upgraded from the 30 ah Amped to the 48ah Amped battery and wont ever have to worry about going two FULL days without charging.
Like Steve said, they are big and bulky but they are worth it. Used mine all day yesterday, saw hundreds of fish but only a small handful bit ;)

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2024, 02:31 PM »
I really appreciate the info fellas.  Very helpful.   I do have a dumb question.  What’s this shuttle everyone talks about?   

If I were to buy one of these units, it would only be for the ice as I don’t do a whole lot of fishing in a boat.  I’d like to someday, but mine would be totally for the ice.  I’ll start watching the videos and learn up on this some more.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2024, 02:39 PM »
The shuttle is the base that the plotter is affixed to and it also holds the battery along with the wiring, cabling, transducer etc

https://arclab-motorsport-fabrication.myshopify.com/products/5200-series-electronics-shuttle-12v-electrics-face-plate

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2024, 03:01 PM »
Thanks Missoulafish.  Good looking setup you have there!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2024, 04:09 PM »
ha thanks, those are pics from Arclab but those are the components I bought and can vouch that they are worth the money.

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2024, 08:36 AM »
Just my opinion but you don't need arclab if ur only using for ice fishing. If your using on a boat w side pole u need a good sturdy pole. I also think garmin is the best picture. Lithium battery is a must . The great thing about these is you can switch over to flasher mode at any time and it's better than ur old vex. I at first brought both out cause I was die hard vex fan but no longer needed.

I did the following for ice.. lvs34 w gls10 comes as package. Garmin UHD 73SV (wanted small screen for ice and cradle), Large Garmin portable Ice kit (comes w 12ah battery but it only lasts 4 hrs) upgraded to a 30ah lithium by Amped, cheaper summit pole it's 3d printed but works fine. I have brew city ct-360 for the boat.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2024, 08:56 AM »
If you don't go the Arclab route, stay away from printed anything.

Offline SwampRat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2024, 09:09 AM »
If you don't go the Arclab route, stay away from printed anything.
not like the pole is 3d printed but yes I'd say archlab and brew city are the better poles and a must for the boat.
><(((,(((,(@>   j````````j`````````j```````````

><(((,(@>
                                     ><(((,(@>

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2024, 10:24 AM »
Very helpful, thanks a lot guys.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2024, 07:02 AM »
I had the printed plastic break on a Summit pole when ice fishing.  Skip Summit and go for a well built ArcLab pole to begin with.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2024, 08:07 AM »
Thanks Skywagon. 

I see on Reeds, you can buy bundles from Summit that have the Amped battery with it.  Doesnt have the arclab with it, but the other stuff seems nice anyway.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2024, 06:22 AM »
Thanks Skywagon. 

I see on Reeds, you can buy bundles from Summit that have the Amped battery with it.  Doesnt have the arclab with it, but the other stuff seems nice anyway.

LionsFan, you might want to talk to Chad at Master Bait and Tackle.  He will piece together whichever components you would like to put together in package, you pick the screen, livescope transducer, size of battery, brand of pole-shuttle and bag.  If you don't live in Minnesota there is no sales tax, he will be more than price competitive.  I have made the 8 hour drive down to his business two times to purchase equipment, he knows his stuff. The business number is 651-426-3460, you will want to talk to Chad in person, I will message you his cell number.

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2024, 10:55 AM »
I started with the Garmin bundle, and it was great to get started, but I've pretty much replaced everything.
Pole:
I didn't do my research and went with summit at first but have since replaced that with ArcLab. ArcLab is very expensive, but I think it will last me forever. it works great on the ice and in my kayak. i plan on putting it on a boat when I get one. The original Garmin pole is ok for ice fishing, but you'll need something else if you're using it on a vessel.

Shuttle:
 I also have the ArcLab shuttle which is really heavy duty. The bag the Garmin ice kit comes with is ok, but kind of bulky. If you're only using it for ice fishing then the Garmin bundle may be fine, but with what it costs you'll probably want to use it anywhere possible. I haven't used the summit shuttle, but it may be ok. it's probably a little lighter than the ArcLab but not as bulletproof. If you move around a lot a shuttle is the way to go. the Garmin pole is also a little cumbersome to move around a lot with.

Battery:
As far as batteries you'll defiantly want lithium. My original ice bundle came with a 30ah, but I upsized to the amped outdoors 48ah and have never run it down. if you look around you can find a 10% discount code.

Transducer:
The other thing you need to consider is the transducer you get. Here's my basic breakdown.
LVS 32 - this is the most economical, but you might want to consider the lvs34.
LVS 34 - I think this is the best all-around transducer. much better than the 32 and good unless you're fishing in deeper than about 60 FOW.
LVS 62 - I don't think you need this unless you're fishing in deep water. the 34 works, but if you want to see your baits at over 60 FOW this thing is amazing, but you're going to pay for it.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2024, 06:49 PM »
LionsFan, you might want to talk to Chad at Master Bait and Tackle.  He will piece together whichever components you would like to put together in package, you pick the screen, livescope transducer, size of battery, brand of pole-shuttle and bag.  If you don't live in Minnesota there is no sales tax, he will be more than price competitive.  I have made the 8 hour drive down to his business two times to purchase equipment, he knows his stuff. The business number is 651-426-3460, you will want to talk to Chad in person, I will message you his cell number.

Thanks man!  Much appreciated!

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2024, 11:41 AM »
I started with the Garmin bundle, and it was great to get started, but I've pretty much replaced everything.
Pole:
I didn't do my research and went with summit at first but have since replaced that with ArcLab. ArcLab is very expensive, but I think it will last me forever. it works great on the ice and in my kayak. i plan on putting it on a boat when I get one. The original Garmin pole is ok for ice fishing, but you'll need something else if you're using it on a vessel.

Shuttle:
 I also have the ArcLab shuttle which is really heavy duty. The bag the Garmin ice kit comes with is ok, but kind of bulky. If you're only using it for ice fishing then the Garmin bundle may be fine, but with what it costs you'll probably want to use it anywhere possible. I haven't used the summit shuttle, but it may be ok. it's probably a little lighter than the ArcLab but not as bulletproof. If you move around a lot a shuttle is the way to go. the Garmin pole is also a little cumbersome to move around a lot with.

Battery:
As far as batteries you'll defiantly want lithium. My original ice bundle came with a 30ah, but I upsized to the amped outdoors 48ah and have never run it down. if you look around you can find a 10% discount code.

Transducer:
The other thing you need to consider is the transducer you get. Here's my basic breakdown.
LVS 32 - this is the most economical, but you might want to consider the lvs34.
LVS 34 - I think this is the best all-around transducer. much better than the 32 and good unless you're fishing in deeper than about 60 FOW.
LVS 62 - I don't think you need this unless you're fishing in deep water. the 34 works, but if you want to see your baits at over 60 FOW this thing is amazing, but you're going to pay for it.

Thats very helpful, thank you!

If I bought one, theres a 99% chance it will only see the ice.  I have a boat, but have zero plans to use a Livescope with it.  This would be for ice only. 

As far as moving around and things being heavy/bulky, I dont usually move much.  Depending on the day, I may move a couple times, but im no where near being a hole-hopper.

One thing I think I would definitely do is make sure to get the lithium battery as basically 100% of people giving me advice has said to go with the lithium battery.  Running out of battery is the last thing I want to worry about out there.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2024, 02:07 PM »

If I bought one, theres a 99% chance it will only see the ice.  I have a boat, but have zero plans to use a Livescope with it.  This would be for ice only. 

Dude you should re-think that part. If you have a boat already and are going to spend the money on Livescope, it would be in your best fish catching interest to use it on the boat.

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #21 on: Feb 26, 2024, 10:41 AM »
I agree totally. once you use it on the ice I can't see you putting it away all year on your boat. it's so helpful to confirm fish size and presence. it is a little effort to get a good system on a boat but so worth it.

Offline TheLionsFan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 26, 2024, 06:39 PM »
I agree totally. once you use it on the ice I can't see you putting it away all year on your boat. it's so helpful to confirm fish size and presence. it is a little effort to get a good system on a boat but so worth it.

My biggest reason for only using it on the ice is I hardly ever use my boat lol.  When I do, it’s to take the kids out fishing when we go camping.  Nothing serious.  Just drop our lines and catch whatever is biting.  My boat isn’t necessarily the greatest but it floats.  I’m hoping to upgrade sometime in the near future, but right now the only fishing I take serious is ice fishing.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2024, 05:10 PM »
Figure out whatever way you can to get it on the boat too. I once used mine on a dock, and it helped me catch fish. Pretty sure the kids will like catching lots more fish!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2024, 04:38 PM »
Debated on starting another thread but figured I'd just bump this one. Thoughts on the uhd2 9 vs the ultra 106? Leaning towards the uhd2 because it's possibly new enough that it'd work with whatever they come up with next

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.