Author Topic: ice hut suggestions  (Read 7142 times)

tstelick

ice hut suggestions
« on: Nov 04, 2002, 06:53 AM »
I am looking into buying a portable ice fishing hut.  Any suggestions?  The fish traps look good.  I am looking for something that I can pull by hand and is for 1 or 2 people.  I have tried making a few but they just don't work well and are heavier than I would prefer.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: ice hut suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2002, 11:18 AM »
Hi Tom,
       I can't speak for the other manufacturers but the FishTrap Guide(2 man) has worked out great for me.I and my son can go out(he's 12) and if I'm alone I can handle it.It weighs about 60lbs with no gear in it and the seat is nice on the back.This years model is supposed to have a darker interior fabric,sliding seats and the U door.Hope this helps.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2002, 03:22 PM »
Give the Frabill units a look. I think they are a little more money then some, but they have nice features. I have a Shapell 2-man (3000 Deluxe) and I like it, but it's not a run and gun like the fish traps and some of the Frabills.

Esox

don moder

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2002, 03:04 AM »
i agree spend the money frabill is my choice.the ranger xlt is excellent,it has sitting for2 or 3.3 if smaller folk. 2for me.it also has a big sled for your gear.the black materail is very warm on sunny days.velcro windows are nice to watch tipups.if real cold a small heater warms it up nice.i like to fish with jacket off.you may drill 3 holes.jig 2and1 for camera or vexlar. :D :'(

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2003, 08:59 PM »
Tom,
I really like my Viking. It is very comfortable for two "full size" fisherman and heats quite well with a Coleman 1 burner propane stove. It sets up quickly, 2-3 minutes, and can be moved without taking it down. I would suggest an "anchor" for those really wind days however as the hut will blow away if left empty to run for your tipups (did I say "if" I am sorry, I meant WHEN!) I simply tied a 3' length of rope to the rear hinge and tied a 2" length of dowel (broom handle works great) to the other end. Drill a hole in the ice behind the shanty and put the dowel under the ice across the hole. I'm quite sure this trick would work for any shanty out there. Good luck in your quest.
:'( Keep 'em flying ;)
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2003, 09:17 PM »
Tom,
I really like my Viking. It is very comfortable for two "full size" fisherman and heats quite well with a Coleman 1 burner propane stove. It sets up quickly, 2-3 minutes, and can be moved without taking it down. I would suggest an "anchor" for those really wind days however as the hut will blow away if left empty to run for your tipups (did I say "if" I am sorry, I meant WHEN!) I simply tied a 3' length of rope to the rear hinge and tied a 2" length of dowel (broom handle works great) to the other end. Drill a hole in the ice behind the shanty and put the dowel under the ice across the hole. I'm quite sure this trick would work for any shanty out there. Good luck in your quest.
  :'(Keep 'em flying   ;)

Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline Russellman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2003, 01:52 AM »
Wkules,
Wow, you really do like that Viking (just joshing).
I too have a Viking which is wicked roomy & not too heavy.  But, I have one question - do the folding metal runners on yours collapse at inopportune moments while pulling it along ?  I've tried bungies to hold it out, but it still can give me some grief in deeper snow.
Other than that, I really like it & wouldn't change it.
Russellman

GOS

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2003, 10:59 AM »
Bought the "Fish Trap Voyager", about 3 weeks ago.  Big enough for 3 people, and all the gear you will "think" you have to have along.  81#'s dry, and it's pretty tough to get into the back of a full size p/u, by myself.  Ice anchors are a "must have".  They are available through The Clam, or Shappell people.  Gregory

The_King

« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2003, 09:32 PM »
I fish on a lake ( high point ) that is always windy. I have a fish trap II. Any suggestions for anchoring?

Thanks in advance!

bosco

« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2003, 03:28 PM »
Tom

I live in N.D. and it's true the wind blows every day... So , to anchor your portable on those days just mount 2 eye bolts in opposite corners , cut a cpl peices of rebar , 12 to 18 inches long , grab thee trusty ol' cordless drill & your father-in-laws longest drill bit ( the one that is the same , or larger than yer rebar ) ,  drill your holes at a little bit of an angle to your set up , tie off your sled to the rebar & there ya go a no blow set up !!!!!!      Good luck ,  Bosco ;

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2003, 12:01 PM »
Tom,
You might want to check out the Cabelas deluxe ice fishing tent kit.  You need to build the floor (very easy) and it is really roomy for two (finished size 72 in x 60 in x 72 in) and the price right now is unbelievable.........$80.00.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.