The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: WARNING for Wallenpaupak  (Read 5113 times)

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
WARNING for Wallenpaupak
« on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:21 AM »
I fished Lyons cove where Spinner Brook enters. I tried to get out behind the south end of Epply Island but there was a huge pressure crack that form like a serpentine snake from the the Rockledge point & wormed it's way to the west end of Epply Island. It had to be more than 10' of open water and buckled ice. PLEASE USE CAUTION especially if this snow cover this area over.  FT

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WARNING for Wallenpaupak
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:47 AM »
UPDATED w/pics from yesterday. Be safe. FT 

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:24 AM »
My son was fishing on Sat. and he said he thought they were lowering the water. He heard some strange noises under the ice.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2019, 04:11 PM »
This would make some sense if true.  I also felt some shifts and hear some strange noises on the north side of the lake on Sat.

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:30 AM »
This is what I feared, luckily no one died.
https://wnep.com/2019/02/02/six-rescued-after-falling-into-lake-wallenpaupack/

"PAUPACK TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- Authorities in Pike County say six people needed to be rescued from an icy Lake Wallenpaupack.Tafton's dive team responded to two separate calls Saturday of people falling into the lake near Hawley. They happened just hours apart in a large unfrozen section of the lake.Just before noon, a snowmobile carrying two people went into the water near Epply Island, according to Richard Groo, the dive team's captain.Then around 5:30 p.m., four more people riding on ATVs went into the lake in the same spot.They were all taken to the hospital to be checked for hypothermia.Authorities are urging anyone on Lake Wallenpaupack to watch out for sections of the lake that are not frozen.""Earlier today we were dispatched to the area of Spinnler's Point for a water rescue. An individual fell through thin ice while snowmobiling. This is the same area of open water and thin ice we've been warning you about in previous posts. Please use caution on the lake as ice is inconsistent from place to place. The individuals made it safely to shore and were transported to the hospital for treatment."

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:03 AM »
You nailed it Freetown.  It was inevitable.  Important thing is everyone was rescued.  Now there are gasoline and oil filled machines at the bottom of the lake.  I assume they will remove when conditions permit.  Stay safe everyone.

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:00 AM »
thanks for getting the info out and pics freytown just unfortunate it didn't get out to everyone

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2019, 06:43 AM »
The Fish Com should have marked the area with danger tape. I read in the newspaper that they need volunteer deputies.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:35 AM »
The Fish Com should have marked the area with danger tape. I read in the newspaper that they need volunteer deputies.
I disagree. IMO, people should be held responsible to verify safe ice for themselves. Do you want the PFBC to mark off only the PAK  or all the thousands of lakes & ponds in PA?

The problem is with stupid people.  ;)

Offline PaCarpboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:50 AM »
I agree Freytown.   Paupak is a privately owned lake.  The PF&BC simply provides a boat launch as a courtesy to anglers.  Situations like this are probably why they don't allow machines to be launched.  Plus, it would be impossible to monitor ice conditions given the Pak is 13 miles long and has 50+ miles of shoreline.  Once they take the responsibility of marking unsafe ice, they could be held accountable for any areas they miss.   I certainly support any safety measures possible, but the best safety tool is always common sense.   Conditions will be different now with the recent warm temps, but I believe we will have plenty of ice on most NEPA lakes.  Looks like a cold spell is coming back this weekend.   Good luck and be safe everyone.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2019, 08:21 AM »
I disagree. IMO, people should be held responsible to verify safe ice for themselves. Do you want the PFBC to mark off only the PAK  or all the thousands of lakes & ponds in PA?

The problem is with stupid people.  ;)

Well, I saw an area marked off at Winola two years ago and I would not have noticed it due to heavy snow. I think the PFBC should patrol lakes better. I talked to guys fishing this year and thy did not know the size and amount limits for bass and trout. I just want to make a point that they don't have enough officers and now are asking for deputy volunteers.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2019, 09:44 AM »
I agree with Freytown, you need to be responsible for your own safety as well as trying to protect and warn others. As for not knowing sizes and limits download the book to your phone and carry it with you or print it out at home. I have it on my phone because I am too cheap to pay the $3.00 for the book.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2019, 11:34 AM »
Well, I saw an area marked off at Winola two years ago and I would not have noticed it due to heavy snow. I think the PFBC should patrol lakes better. I talked to guys fishing this year and thy did not know the size and amount limits for bass and trout. I just want to make a point that they don't have enough officers and now are asking for deputy volunteers.

Lots of local fire depts use lakes for training their dive teams in winter. They cut a big hole in the ice, then mark it with caution tape after they are done, until it refreezes. Same thing with these polar bear swims. I have yet to hear of PFB&C doing this.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2019, 04:16 PM »
Lots of local fire depts use lakes for training their dive teams in winter. They cut a big hole in the ice, then mark it with caution tape after they are done, until it refreezes. Same thing with these polar bear swims. I have yet to hear of PFB&C doing this.
RNutt, I have yet to hear of PFB&C  cutting a big hole in the ice?  Where have they done this? Or are you saying that they should canvas the entire state to look for thin ice? :o Are you serious? FT

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2019, 07:26 PM »
No Freytown- I’m saying they(PF&BC) don’t do that. It’s the local Fire Departments doing it- either for training (ice rescues/dives)or Polar Bear swims.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:31 AM »
The first responders on the first incident should mark the area unsafe.  It's a no brainier.
Disagree. Why do people today want to blame someone else for their short comings? It's the PFBC's fault, it's the first res-ponders fault, it's EMS fault, WRONG folks. The onus is on the stupid people who didn't check how thick the ice was. If this happened to me, I'd own it, and blame myself for be stupid. :o End of story. FT

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:02 AM »
Disagree. Why do people today want to blame someone else for their short comings? It's the PFBC's fault, it's the first res-ponders fault, it's EMS fault, WRONG folks. The onus is on the stupid people who didn't check how thick the ice was. If this happened to me, I'd own it, and blame myself for be stupid. :o End of story. FT

In most cases I’d agree , but due to the first incident the second incident was entirely preventable. Some snow paint a few cones. This is a better plan than risking the first responders or even bystanders being put in danger trying to rescue folks when they could of just threw some markers out.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:30 AM »
I also agree with Freytown. Know how to stop it, no activities allowed on the ice, it is a private lake and that rule could be applied. Be careful, it only takes a few to mess it up for everyone.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Wallenpaupack is owned and managed by Brookfield Renewable. The PFBC owns a couple boat launch sites and stocks the lake.

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:10 AM »
Yes, Brookfield Renewable owns lake Wallenpaupack. I would believe that any public access to it is due to their generosity as well as during PP&L's and Talon energy's prior ownership, just because they do allow public access to it doesn't mean it can't be stopped, Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sure doesn't seem like it's a public lake if it can be bought and sold by different utilities.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:53 AM »
The dam and power rights are what are sold. The launches are public property and will remain that way. The lake has private frontage but is private by no means.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline esoxnepa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2019, 05:28 PM »
I do not know is or what any plans are with the new company that owns Lake Wallenpaupack.

There are almost 0 parcels of land that have direct access to the lake.  There is a buffer owned by Holtwood around the lake.  Also remember the Wallenpaupack Creek was removed from the navigable waterways of Pennsylvania.  I haven't had to search the multitudes of deeds that may have extra rights to the lake, even without owning the actual lakefront property.     

The Lake Wallenpaupack Management District http://wallenpaupackwatershed.org/ may be able to provide information to help quash these rumors.  The other place would be to reach out to Mike Piefer, http://www.reppeifer.com, the PA State Representative for most area around Lake Wallenpaupack.

The launches are public property and will remain that way. The lake has private frontage but is private by no means.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2019, 06:11 PM »
In most cases I’d agree , but due to the first incident the second incident was entirely preventable. Some snow paint a few cones. This is a better plan than risking the first responders or even bystanders being put in danger trying to rescue folks when they could of just threw some markers out.

Both incidents were preventable if the people used their brains and checked the ice conditions before driving around on the ice with no regard for their own safety.  Yeah snow paint, whatever that is, and a few cones sounds like a good idea but that's no guarantee that it would've prevented either incident.  Some of the people who ride on ATVs and snowmobiles drive right through people's tip-up spreads and even run them over so I highly doubt anyone from that group would even give a second thought to a cone or painted snow.  Furthermore who's going to go get the cones at the end of the ice season?  Who's going to pay for the cones to be replaced if they go through the ice?  I can say from first hand knowledge these volunteer fire companies don't have lots of money to go replace equipment and the equipment isn't cheap, not even cones.  It's called being responsible for your own safety and using common sense.  I know I wouldn't be driving around on the ice with a machine that has a combined weight of the machine and rider of at least seven or eight hundred pounds without making sure the ice is safe. 

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Earlier this year I was fishing in a cove with 4 in of ice. A young person on an atv went out fishing on an ATV. I think the fish com should fine these people for reckless driving because they are not only endangering themselves but also the people who have to rescue them if they fall thru.
What law did the young person on an atv violate ?  Other than being stupid....remember...."at your own risk". Nuff said'  FT  ;)

Offline Jpf1967

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:06 PM »
Paupak can be a very scary lake ice fishing only been there a few times in my life when I felt good on it fish it mostly open water b4 Memorial Day and after Labor day

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Is there a law for being stupid ?? we need more laws, they should make a law that more laws need to be made I think,or did someone make that one already?? We just need more laws then no one will be stupid (maybe) I guess ?????

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Both incidents were preventable if the people used their brains and checked the ice conditions before driving around on the ice with no regard for their own safety.  Yeah snow paint, whatever that is, and a few cones sounds like a good idea but that's no guarantee that it would've prevented either incident.  Some of the people who ride on ATVs and snowmobiles drive right through people's tip-up spreads and even run them over so I highly doubt anyone from that group would even give a second thought to a cone or painted snow.  Furthermore who's going to go get the cones at the end of the ice season?  Who's going to pay for the cones to be replaced if they go through the ice?  I can say from first hand knowledge these volunteer fire companies don't have lots of money to go replace equipment and the equipment isn't cheap, not even cones.  It's called being responsible for your own safety and using common sense.  I know I wouldn't be driving around on the ice with a machine that has a combined weight of the machine and rider of at least seven or eight hundred pounds without making sure the ice is safe.

So it happened again. Are you implying that the cost of a few cones are worth more than the lives of those fireman, paramedics, police when they have to return to do two more rescues out of the same spot ? I also agree with personal responsibility of those involved, however some preventative measures at an already known to be sketchy spot is also a responsibility.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:20 AM »
What I'm saying is I've been a volunteer firefighter for the past thirty years (and still am), I've been trained in ice rescue and am one of the guys who go in after the people that go through, and I also know how much it costs for our gear and equipment.  To you it's just a couple of cones however those cones cost right around $20 a piece so if you put out four, which you'd have to put out more than that to begin to be effective, you're looking at $80 then someone has to go out and put them there and if we're lucky enough that someone doesn't steal or they don't go through the melting ice at the end of the season someone has to go back out and get them.  Also who's going to go out and check the entire lake for safe and unsafe ice?  The ice that isn't safe for a 700 or more pound vehicle could be perfectly safe for ice fishermen to walk out and safely fish.   Yeah $80 doesn't sound like much but that's $80 we have to raise again and can't use to buy some other piece of equipment.  Now I'm not saying it's not worth spending $80 to try to prevent someone from getting hurt what I am saying is you need to understand what's involved and the actual costs.  And beyond all that there's still no guarantees people are even going to pay attention to the cones and avoid that area.  I'm all for keeping our people as safe as possible but a couple of cones isn't going do that because if someone is going to pay attention to the cones they'd more than likely be looking a head to see open water ahead of them and not continue to drive toward it.  Let's face it some people have more money than brain cells and stupid is becoming the new norm.

Offline Mr. Charlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:45 AM »
I’ve grown up surrounded by paid professional paramedics/firefighters( mother and uncles ) , I’m very aware of what they as well as volunteers do. No one is saying that the entirety of a lake needs monitored but an existing danger should not be ignored. Also a few floating cones beat sinking citizens and firemen. If it helped to avoid any incident it is worth more than it’s monetary value.
Keep yer worms warm!

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:15 AM »
I am with you Chris, it costs a lot more than a few cones that most are going to ignore anyway. After there sorry a** goes into the water then they realize what the cones were for. In my small town they had a street blocked off with cones and a sign with workers in a trench when a car plunged into the trench. Luckily no one was injured. The drivers comment was "I didn't know what the cones and sign meant"! I am sorry but people need to be responsible for there own actions and safety.

Yes $80.00 isn't that much until you work for a volunteer fire company and find out it isn't all that easy to raise money. I just helped with a fund raiser for our local volunteer fire company so I know a little about raising money. We spent over 300 man hours to raise $3000.00 and thought that was a success. The unfortunate part is the same older (and getting older) volunteers are doing the fund raising. The younger generation is not joining the volunteer fire companies because it takes too much of there time to go through the training like Chris and so many others have done. My hats off to Chris and all the volunteers that DONATE there time for training and go on rescues! 
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.