Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: K-Drill vs. Pistol  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
K-Drill vs. Pistol
« on: Mar 02, 2019, 01:33 PM »
Just my two-cents but there is no comparison between the two as far as starting a hole and safety.  The K-Drill bites immediately with no slow start required and doesn't walk.  Even going slow with the Pistol is a dicey proposition because it the blades don't bite and if you accidentally goose it (thick gloves) the thing will hop 1-2 feet.  Even with a wide stance today and going slow the Pistol skipped off some ice and glanced off my boot.  Maybe the Pistol drills 25% more holes and is x% faster but it is not worth the risk / hassle.  Took both out today so same ice conditions and after 10 holes with each I was wondering why the hell I bought the Pistol in the first place.    Not sure how a company like Eskimo can claim they extensively test these things.  What ice fisherman wants an auger that won't start a hole and poses a safety risk?

A word of caution to folks not familiar with the Pistol (this has been shared by others) go slow and keep a wide stance.  Do NOT give this auger to your buddy who is new to ice fishing or who has been ice drinking and tell them to go drill some holes. 

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: K-Drill vs. Pistol
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:00 PM »
As an insurance agent, I can see some product liability issues with as much as I've heard about the pistol bit skipping around into feet.

Online HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2019, 02:12 PM »
Agree with everything said so far.  "Tons" of testing and research and they put out a glorified mora.

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2019, 12:43 PM »
I like my pistol, kinda.  I agree with everything said above.  A little downward force helps the walking, just let up once it begins to cut.  I don't know why they didn't add a center point, it would've been a great auger then.  Once it starts cutting though it works well.  And yes it is a glorified mora, but i do like that it's longer and lighter than a hand auger. 

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2019, 04:45 AM »
Agree that once it starts cutting it does well but in my opinion it's not worth the risk.  I am aware of how it jumps and am extremely cautious but even with that being said the damn thing is an accident waiting to happen.  It's one thing to engineer weight out of something if it adds value but I can't imagine a centering bit like the K-Drill has would radically alter the performance and would significantly increase safety.   The owners who "aware" of how it jumps can exercise caution.  It's this person's buddy or kid who is going to grab the auger to go punch holes that is going to get hurt.  I heard that they are including a centering bit on the 8 inch next year but no change to the 6 apparently.   

Offline Anderj85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2019, 12:27 PM »
I agree, I wouldn't let someone borrow mine for that reason. 

If they add a center point next year, hopefully it'll retrofit to the current augers.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2019, 11:38 AM »
its just too light to not have one.  an old lazer is heavy enough to hold the spot without a centering bit. 

we tried one out earlier in the season and while it was def faster than my kdrill,   i didn't like having to feather the trigger to start and initially applying downforce to get it to not skip around on smooth ice. 

kdrill just goes without any pressure and full trigger. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.