Author Topic: Buying a Shanty  (Read 5234 times)

Lighting_Rod

Buying a Shanty
« on: Jan 28, 2003, 08:32 AM »
Looking to buy a flipover style shanty. I would love to hear from angler who have fished in one. Any info is great good or bad. 1 or 2 man

Offline toadster2002

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Buying a Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2003, 07:34 PM »
I have the otter magnum That I bought at scheels sports and I do like it except it comes with no seats so had to make my own and that the pole that holds the very back bar up seems to long because when you install it the tarp pulls up off the sled in the back.
I do like it except for them two little things.

Offline first ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Watch your eyes boys, watch your eyes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2003, 07:29 AM »
I have the Fish Trap Guide model it is excellent love it wished I would of bought it sooner. Comes with everything no need to purchase the seats after the fact.
Go early , stay late

Lighting_Rod

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2003, 08:49 AM »
Thanx for the help. I was considering both of those models.                                                                                            Keep Fishing!! Lighting Rod

ICE_TEAM1

« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2003, 02:12 PM »
I just got the fish trap guide this year and i love it, havent fished from other brands, but the guide is perfect for just about any situation for one man or two.

rgfixit

« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2003, 12:13 PM »
I have a 10 year old Fish Trap, I'd buy any of Gentz's shanty products again!

RGFIXIT

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2003, 01:39 PM »
I can only comment on the FishTraps. The first one I bought (about 10 or so years ago) was what is now called the Scout. That is all they offered then except the "Magnum" ???. The Trap is still in use! Three years ago I put together the Pro for my nephew. Two years ago I purchased the Guide. This year I put together the new Pro for a friend. If weight is a concern you can save a few pounds by going with the Scout(35lbs) - but it isn't very roomy. The Pro is a roomy one man and about 12 lbs heavier. The Guide is a two man and is about 60 lbs. The reason I went with the Guide is my son accompanies me from time to time. I have recommended the FishTraps to family and friends for the simple reason that they hold up well and are designed well.
Those who are brave are free ..

redsford95

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2003, 05:04 AM »
I had a older clam 2 preson with the board seats it was a nice shack but I took the seats out because they hurt my but and back.  My brother bought a 3 man fish trap which is nice ane the seats arnt to bad.  What I did not like about them is that you get a draft in them behind your feet because the canvas dose not go behind your feet and if you dont pack snow in the corner of the sled and canvas it is cold and the sled is pretty thin my brothers allready has holes in it.  I have just gotten a otter magnum and I realy like it alot.  It is heavy but I think it will last a lot longer than the fish traps.  I was looking for a life time purchase so my kids can use it when I have them.  My otter is not the one in the stores it is from canvas craft.  I have metal poles the canvas is black and you do not have to drill threw it to mount it.  http://www.canvascraftinc.com/otterSm.htm
It was $505.00 with canvas, poles, tub, and travel cover.  I have bought one of the nice custom plastic seats which are $60.00.  It is a little different than the otter outdoor one I do not have side windows and vents mine has a vent window instead.  I prob would of got the otter outdoor one but they only had purple at the time.

Red

PerchBusterSD

« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2003, 05:45 AM »
i had the trap now i have the frabill ranger twin and love it. I did not like the blue canvas on the trap

turbo

« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2003, 08:39 PM »
I just bought a fish trap voyager. I really like it.Two friends of mine have otters.  The otters have heavier sleds and are well constructed.  My voyager is very roomy for two people.It came with seats  side vents and ets. Idid buy a couple of extra poles and a cover , which is a must. The  best thing to do is to go to a  sporting goods center and look at them . They all have different likes and dislikes. THat's   what I did.    I didnt want to drive another two hundred  miles back so I bought the voyager from local hard ware  store for439.00 setup plus tarp.50.00.  I did buy a  clam 5600 first. Had it for 1 hour. Took it to lake and set it up  and took it down and headed back to town and exchanged it for the trap. Didnt like the way the tarp hooked to floor. There's alot of good shelters out there go sits in a few. Then it becomes a really hard decision which one to buy.  good luck.

Lighting_Rod

« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2003, 07:32 AM »
Thanx to all of you guys for all the info. I decided to go with the Fish Trap Pro. I got a deal I couldn't refuse(180.00 @ Menards). It works great with enough room for me and my son(4 years old).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.