Author Topic: Jiffy or Strikemaster???  (Read 3009 times)

Offline zdroikb

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy or Strikemaster???
« on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:18 PM »
Looking to buy an 8" power auger, either Strikemaster Laser Mag or Jiffy Stealth...  Any recommendations on which to choose???

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Jiffy or Strikemaster???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:26 PM »
Like some have said...one that cuts  :laugh: Seriously though, there are a couple of decent threads as it relates to this. Here is one....
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=59953.0
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline birddog_20

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2008, 01:28 PM »
I have a Jiffy Its alright,starts right up,but if I was to be buying me a new auger it would be an Icegater!

Offline muzzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2008, 02:44 PM »
I just had this issue early this winter, 2yrs ago, i bought a 49cc strike master lazer mag, this winter i started it up, it ran perfect, went out on the lake, put it under load and blew a hole the size of a quarter in  the side of the cranke case, but that was not the only time,i had another one 2yrs prior to that, and 2yrs after i purchased that one, the same thing happened again! I e-mailed the company and told them to stick the product....well you know what im talking about, so this year i bought a Jiffy 9", model 30, 3hp, you pay a little more, but you also pay for what you get, so im hoping this one will last longer than 2yrs. if i were you, i would definately stick with buying a Jiffy, it also feels like your holding on to A little better product. :thumbsup:

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:07 PM »
had a strikemaster 10' lazer...ran great but too much torgue for the plastic gear housing that sheared off and spent rest of day fishing out my blade in 15 ft of water...had a new jiffy next day............ :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:11 PM »
from what I saw last weekend with no plug intended but that electric icegator is a mean machine....no gas and pullin, and drill a lot of holes easy.....if you are going 8"...I'm waiting on the 10 " to come out............ :tipup:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:12 PM »
I know it wasn't one of the choices...but I have a Nils Master ant it is awesome, light weight, and cuts SUPER fast, starts easily. just another option that is out there. a little more $ but will last a life time...or two.

Snot Rocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Offline Coleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:23 PM »
myself i'm still handcranking with the finbore 3 but if i were to spend the money i would by a JIFFY buy cheap fish less spend a little extra know and fish more.

Offline dairyboy4

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Fish Mastiff
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2008, 04:35 PM »
I have a Jiffy Its alright,starts right up,but if I was to be buying me a new auger it would be an Icegater!

I'll second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO if gas is what you want then I would get the 4stroke Strikemaster.

Offline Sub Zero

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Ice?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:33 PM »
What about Eskimo Augers? I have an 8" 3hp Baracuda(no need for a 10" ever!) and it cuts like a champ!
People think we're crazy but we know better!

Offline nhbaitrunner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Don't overlook electric.  Strikemaster Electra and certainly the Icegator.  Not gas and oil mess.  Will drill up to an 8 inch hole.  Ultra quiet.  No fumes especially it you are drilling in a bobhouse or portable.  Just another option.

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:46 PM »
JIFFY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:47 PM »
Jiffy for sure!!!
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Don't get a jiffy, any jiffy I've ever seen has had nothing but problems.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Out of the two that you mentioned, I would go with the Jiffy. I feel that its the superior machine, and I've only heard good things about it from owners.

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Jiffy for sure!!!
My dad and I both have model 30's 8" and we have been really happy with them (Bulletproof). He's been running his for about 18 years no problems exept a gasket here and there. Never used a StrikeMaster so I cant say anything about them.
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2008, 07:45 PM »
Don't get a jiffy, any jiffy I've ever seen has had nothing but problems.

Interesting, I havent had one problem with mine ever...and Ive drilled ALOT of 10 inch holes through some very thick ice. Strikemaster is now made in china, so it'll be garbage from now on.

JIFFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :tipup: ;D

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:03 PM »
 8" Strikemaster for 8 years. 3 sets of blades, Still a 1-2 pull starter. Not fast as some others, but it's hangin' in there. Ran into a clutch problem in the second year when I caght a chunk of wood frozen into some early ice. Called them up & had my parts in 2 days. Cracked the gas tank in the 5th year , called them up & once again 2 days later... new tank to put on. 'Course I had to pay, but the people there are great. I stall have the Tel. # for a guy named Mike, who was one of the techs there.(Hav'en't had to call for a while, Don't know if he's still the "man ta talk to.") As far as the "China" link, don't know. I think I may just call & see if Mike is still there, & see if the  company has done " crossed the border". 

Regarding  Jiffy, I bought a 10" Jiffy from a friend from on another site who's from Braham ,Minn. He's a guide & had upgraded to a newer bunch of Jiffys . I turned it over to a "bro" of mine, who needed an auger. It's still going good.
I guess I am indifferent to the maker if the product hangs in there & they stand by their product. I'll be getting a newer one later this year & give my old power auger to one of my sons.

Keep the opinions comin', Help me make up my mind on a brand.
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Jiffy Stealth 3hp 10 inch..I'd recommend it to anybody, simply love it !!!

Offline UpstateNYiceguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fear no fish....
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2008, 10:06 PM »
I'll second on the Jiffy Stealth 3hp 10".   Mine is a beast and flies thru the ice and never a problem.  Had a model 30 8" that was almost 20 yrs old before it crapped out.  That's why I stick with Jiffy.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while..."

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:25 AM »
I have had a Strikemaster for the past three years or so... it still cuts holes, but is usually a pain the you know what to start when it's really cold out...  it has oil leaking from every which way, and I've had it in to an engine shop twice now to revive it.. 

Now, I'm no engine expert, but I know what to do and what not to do to keep a small engine running..  I have given that thing nothing but love and care since it came out the box and yet it each time out it seems like it's going to be the last time out...   

I've heard good things about Jiffy, but since I bought a camera this year, a new power auger just ain't in the budget...

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2008, 01:22 AM »
jiffy. mine starts up within 4 pulls everytime even when its below -40.

Offline bondo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:33 AM »
I have a Strikemaster and always have. However I don't think you could go wrong with either. They have the same exact motors. The only difference between them is the gear case and auger.
Ron

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:56 AM »
i have always used strikemaster and am happy with there product.  jiffy's seem heavy too me.  i have picked up almost every jiffy auger and it seemed 5 pounds heavier than any strikemaster.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline thechief

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 21, 2008, 04:24 PM »
Looking to buy an 8" power auger, either Strikemaster Laser Mag or Jiffy Stealth...  Any recommendations on which to choose???
I made my choice by weight.  With my bad knees, weight is the most important thing since most new augers will drill a good hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.