Author Topic: Ridiculous Prices on Amazon  (Read 2706 times)

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ridiculous Prices on Amazon
« on: Feb 27, 2021, 12:55 PM »
Why is it that more times than not, I look up an item on Amazon and find outrageous prices on items that are readily available elsewhere for much cheaper? For example; Frabill Arctic Fire tipup lights-$15.93, 1/16 oz Northland Buckshot jig-$10.99, St. Croix Avid Ice Jigging-$69.99.  Some of these come from 3rd party vendors like Frank's Great Outdoors.  But others are shipped and sold by Amazon.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Ridiculous Prices on Amazon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:08 PM »
I think some of it is because some folks have prime shipping. I know people who will order from Amazon rather than drive a mile to buy something locally. Some times they are amazed when I buy things cheaper at a local store. I would rather support a local merchant than order from Amazon. Just me I guess.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:11 PM »
Prime items so they have shipping built in. Once an item gets to about $15 msrp they start evening out and being a good deal.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:22 PM »
Amazon isn't always cheaper, have to look around a bit and a little research, I've gotten some great deals from them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:26 PM »
That's great advice on anything you buy online!! You need to shop around and check prices, shipping, etc...... Some places price match or beat the price!!! @)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:33 PM »
Buy local when possible.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2021, 01:56 PM »
I try to buy local.  But the local sporting goods store went out of business.  Now, the only ice fishing related items are from the hardware store and are mostly limited to spearing equipment and a couple of cheap HT rods, because most ice fishermen around here spear.  I have to order rods, jigs and other gear online.  I prefer Amazon because we are prime members (we have to be, living in such a small town.) I order rods from Fish USA because they have free shipping on orders over $60 dollars.  Sometimes I get lucky on Amazon like last week, I found Clam Flutter spoons for a good deal. But those deals ( msrp) are getting harder to find on Amazon.  It's pretty sad that msrp is now a good deal.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Ever-present corporate greed for $$.  >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2021, 02:42 PM »
There are multiple causes- but first is that Amazon is a platform- you can be an amazon seller by just signing up. There are large businesses, small business, and Amazon themselves all displayed for the same item. You will see 5 different goofy made up brands for the same thing made in the same factory. Some sellers seem to take the strategy that getting few orders for the item at a higher price is better than winning the price war and getting most of the orders at a lower price.
Amazon has also been very successful- they used to have to try and compete with stores, but now, and especially with COVID, people don't want to go out and shop around. It is more a competition between Amazon sellers.
If you want to keep them honest, at least check out multiple on line sellers. I always check Walmart or EBAY before I buy.

All in all, I am happy with being able to find almost anything I want, and not have to drive looking for it. We are rural, and so there is nothing I don't have to drive 10 miles for. If I can get it to my door in 2 days, I am thrilled even if I could have saved a buck or 2 driving out and looking for one in a retail store.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2021, 03:15 PM »
You need to check multiple  sellers...
Example:
I bought a bottle of arthritis pain and joint for my dog at my local pet store for $38.99. I found the exact same product on Amazon for $8.99, with prime shipping. Any guess as to where I’m going to buy this product from now on? Some items cost more on Amazon, and some don’t. It pays to comparative shop.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2021, 03:39 PM »
You need to check multiple  sellers...
Example:
I bought a bottle of arthritis pain and joint for my dog at my local pet store for $38.99. I found the exact same product on Amazon for $8.99, with prime shipping. Any guess as to where I’m going to buy this product from now on? Some items cost more on Amazon, and some don’t. It pays to comparative shop.
I  agree

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:43 AM »
Yup, I always google the item I’m interested in buying, seeing all the prices and places then decide if I’m doing Amazon prime. Usually always beats out others. And of course so dang convenient.
     This jig was one of the crazy examples you might find of off the wall pricing.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2021, 10:47 AM »
I have found our sponsors like Fish307 and FishUSA usually have what we are looking to buy and often at very comparative prices. One thing I know for sure is our sponsors need the business a lot more that Jeff Bezos, the wealthiest man in the world. I go to Amazon when and only when I can't find what I want somewhere else. Support the little guys who happen to be our neighbors even if it costs a few pennies more.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2021, 10:51 AM »
I'm in the market for a Clam Legend XL, Amazon has them for sale for... wait for it... $680!!!

Reeds has them on sale for $425 plus $100 shipping.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:21 AM »
I use both of those sponsors, not just because their sponsors but darn good sites for everything I don’t get on amazon for fishing. Have the T shirt and hats. As far as fishing goes, Amazon prime is great for some last minute single spur of the moment things , one pack of paddletails, hooks, swivels, etc. some time right the next day. The disgusting part of that can be the big box for one little item. Not always the little bubble wrap envelopes. Nuts.
  With 307 and USA they make out better without free shipping. When restocking with multiple items or larger things, recent example getting setup for laker fishing up north I keep adding stuff to my cart to hit the free shipping $amount. One of those, two of those, two colors and two different weights, oh that’s cool, two of those a big one and small one,
always needed that, etc. Then go to the cart and I’m over double the free shipping requirement, look to see what I can delete and there’s nothing, I NEED it all. So it goes, I have way too much stuff. Like everyone else.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2021, 11:56 AM »
I go back and forth from Amazon and Walmart to find prices. Sometimes on Walmart you can find the same item in 3 or more sellers and the prices are sky high or just right. Amazon it is usually one seller . And then Sometimes you can find things locally just as cheap or cheaper. Got the Clam Drill Pate from a local Walmart for $70.
<===Lefty===

Offline BRsnow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Try clearing your history, prices can vary based on previous purchases and browsing history

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2021, 09:07 PM »
As I mentioned earlier, I do buy from Fish USA and occasionally 307.  But, I have to spend $60 to get free shipping.  So if I just need a few jigs, Prime is better if I can find them at a decent price.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2021, 06:12 AM »
Unless you spend a lot of money on Amazon I really can't see how $13 a month is saving anyone money. $156 a year to save on shipping once a month doesn't make sense.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Don't have to spend lots of money on Amazon, there's other services like movies, music and books that are included in the subscription. It's well worth it.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2021, 08:40 AM »
I've had this problem a few times recently. I had an amazon gift card from Christmas and every ice fishing thing I wanted to buy was cheaper elsewhere.

I also had a bunch of change to cash in and wanted to do the amazon credit from coin-star to avoid the fee, but the ice ducer i was buying with it was cheaper from Scheels than amazon by like 20 bucks.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2021, 10:21 AM »
Don’t have to spend a lot of money, just use the free shipping and 1 or 2 day delivery often, worth it. Nice to be able to just hit that button no matter how small an item and not be paying 50-100% more for shipping, because then I’d never do it. And I live in the boonies,and closest shopping isn’t great. Wouldn’t have what I want/need anyway.
And yes about other benefits, Amazon music is my one and only music source.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:33 AM »
Don’t have to spend a lot of money, just use the free shipping and 1 or 2 day delivery often, worth it. Nice to be able to just hit that button no matter how small an item and not be paying 50-100% more for shipping, because then I’d never do it. And I live in the boonies,and closest shopping isn’t great. Wouldn’t have what I want/need anyway.
And yes about other benefits, Amazon music is my one and only music source.
Yep, $8 shipping minimum from most places. Like the 2 day free.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 01, 2021, 11:38 AM »
As for Music You tube is 0 $ for all the music you could ever want. As for Books, Do they really make them any more? And Movies I get off Netflix, Hulu and Tubi. I got rid of my Dish Network 2 years ago and only pay for Netflix and Hulu. I save at least $90 a month by doing that. I get all my local channels from Locast free. As little as I spend these days on-line if it isn't 6-8$ for shipping I don't need it that bad.
<===Lefty===

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 01, 2021, 02:49 PM »
Hulu and netflix are ok, seems like there's not much new for movies on them, amazon has lots and adds new ones all the time. Like being able to just tell alexa to play music when I'm busy, plus can reorder items easy from Amazon without searching for that item again.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2021, 04:07 AM »
Why is it that more times than not, I look up an item on Amazon and find outrageous prices on items that are readily available elsewhere for much cheaper? For example; Frabill Arctic Fire tipup lights-$15.93, 1/16 oz Northland Buckshot jig-$10.99, St. Croix Avid Ice Jigging-$69.99.  Some of these come from 3rd party vendors like Frank's Great Outdoors.  But others are shipped and sold by Amazon.
Well it’s supply and demand right now. But anything oversized seems to be way over priced. My 1 man I bought in store for 480$ plus. Is almost 800 on Amazon and the outbreak 450i Eskimo is less then 450$ and Amazon sells for almost 900 I think it was. Outrageous
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 02, 2021, 09:45 AM »
Well it’s supply and demand right now. But anything oversized seems to be way over priced. My 1 man I bought in store for 480$ plus. Is almost 800 on Amazon and the outbreak 450i Eskimo is less then 450$ and Amazon sells for almost 900 I think it was. Outrageous

It is always supply and demand. The same thing that results in clearance sales end of season results in high prices when there are more people ordering gear on line, and the supply chain can't keep up. It is easier to see when you can pull up lots of prices on line and compare.
If you are willing to wait, use the site "camelcamelcamel". You can paste the URL for anything on Amazon, and see Amazon, third party, and used prices over time, and set alerts for the price you are willing to pay. It even helps you to decide what is a good deal, and there are graphs that show how much the price can change over time.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 02, 2021, 10:33 AM »
I use Amazon when I need something, can't get it locally and they are the only ones to offer it online. Browsed today for a wishlist Strikemaster 40v. Like a fool I missed the early season deals. I had it in my cart one day on Fish USA and didn't hit send for whatever bonehead reason. Today Amazon has them for only 935, I was hoping that was rubles or yen. No new auger for this loser this year.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:23 PM »
I use Amazon when I need something, can't get it locally and they are the only ones to offer it online. Browsed today for a wishlist Strikemaster 40v. Like a fool I missed the early season deals. I had it in my cart one day on Fish USA and didn't hit send for whatever bonehead reason. Today Amazon has them for only 935, I was hoping that was rubles or yen. No new auger for this loser this year.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B076FGTXTV

Looks like if you wait you can get one at a good price by next year.

Amazon Warehouse also has an ION 10 inch, if you are not brand picky, for $536

https://www.amazon.com/ION-39300-10-Ice-Auger/dp/B08FTKHWM4/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&fst=as%3Aoff&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1614716662&rnid=10158976011&s=warehouse-deals&sr=1-10

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 02, 2021, 02:34 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna wait and get one from Fish USA or 307 when they have them in stock. Still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger a couple months ago.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.