Author Topic: First flip-over!  (Read 979 times)

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
First flip-over!
« on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:19 PM »
After fighting with my hub almost every time I went out (bowed poles, sides collapsing at the slightest sneeze, trying to stuff it in a sack at -10 with 20mph winds), I pulled the trigger on an Eskimo Sierra that I got a great deal on. The runner kit should be here tomorrow, so that goes on tomorrow night. The sled was already assembled (floor model) when I picked it up so that's going to make it a bit more difficult.

Should be light enough to pull across the ice by hand with all the gear, and if not, I can always hook a second sled up to the kid and let him pull some.

I got a led light strip to put in... I just need to figure out drink holders and I'm set!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: First flip-over!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2018, 10:56 PM »
some tips on the hub. quit using the stuff sack. use adjustable straps instead. stuff it away when its dry and your done for the season and toss in some mouse poison. anchor the hubs much further out than you have been. anchoring close only makes the hubs collapse easier. try to make sure it is squared up before anchoring it fully. all four corners should be touching at the same time. keep one anchor on it until all the hubs are collapsed when taking it down. put one anchor on a hub while putting it up. make your holes after its set up and use the shavings to stop wind on the windward side by kicking the shavings tot hat side.

add longer rope for the flip. you can step inside the rope and pull hands free. throw it over one shoulder or use your belt line. wax the bottom with canning wax. it's called golf wax. 4 bars 3$ walmart. lay it on heavy and often.
 if it doesn't have a rear wind bar, you should make one to keep the front held down on the ice on windy days.

it's nice to have both types.

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:36 AM »
The hub will still come out to play when it's going to be more than just me and the kid, but I think the flip is going to see more use.

By rear wind bar, I'm guessing you mean the bar that goes from the sled to the rear support? Yes, I have that.

Good tip on the wax, I had forgotten to pick some up.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Set it on a Smitty

Offline Pork

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2018, 08:51 PM »
You'll like the flip in the wind. And, my boy was a big help when I put my hyfax on...would have taken me all night without a little man on the inside! ;)
If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes. ;)

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:58 PM »
Set it on a Smitty

Have not seen a set of downhill skis out here yet for less than $200 used this season. I've been watching. And the cross country ones I have seen have just been in horrible shape.

Haven't seen any snowmobile skis either......

Some day.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2018, 05:25 AM »
Check the Goodwill stores for the skis  Shouldn't have to pay more than $10.   There are three stores in Sioux Falls. Try calling them, not sure if they will actually go look around the store for you.  There is also one in Mitchell, Brookings, Watertown, Aberdeen, so if you travel stop in them and check.   Also check Salvation Army or other thrift stores.   

The smitty skis under your flipover reduces the pull weight to nothing. A must have if you walk out on to big lakes.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:10 AM »
i heard ski resorts give skies away. could call around and check.

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2018, 12:48 PM »
i heard ski resorts give skies away. could call around and check.

I'm in the flat half of SD. If I'm over on the other end of the state yet this year I'll check. I'll probably just wait till I'm out in Denver next and pick some up out there.

Just finished putting the runners on the sled. Little frustrated with Eskimo right now. This shack has the seats that have the base that sits down into the bottom of the sled. Well, after putting the runners on exactly as the instructions said, there is now a bolt and nut under one side of each seat base. I've drilled out a piece of 1x to sit over the nuts and give the seat a solid base to sit on while I wait to hear from Eskimo about how I'm supposed to work around that, but it won't be a long term solution since it leaves the seats tilted forward and that's not quite comfortable.

Offline motocross269

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I find skis at Salvation Army for around 5 bucks...The last pair I got was a really nice pair of Salomons with great bindings...I almost felt bad bout taking the bindings off and drilling into them, If there would have been another pair there I would have left those for a downhiller...

Offline sodakdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:35 PM »
Yeah, I've been keeping my eye on the thrift shops all year. One set of broke down cross country skis is all I've seen. There's not a whole lot of skiing around here.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.