Author Topic: On-ice Nils/Milwaukee 18 Fuel Review  (Read 3125 times)

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
On-ice Nils/Milwaukee 18 Fuel Review
« on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:25 AM »
I finally got out on the ice yesterday for the first time this year. I had a chance to try out my Nils convertible auger (orange one) on the Milwaukee 18 Fuel cordless drill for the first time. The ice was 6 ½ to 7 inches. The first thing I noticed was how light it was compared to a gas auger I had been using in previous years. Next, when I started drilling holes, I couldn't believe how easy and smooth it cut. There was no binding, jerking, or hanging up whatsoever during break through at the bottom of the hole. Never felt as if the torque was going to twist my wrists as it cut so easily. Now the interesting part. The first 10 holes I drilled I had no problems. When I moved to another area, I drilled 8 holes with no problems. While I was drilling the 9th hole the auger bit fell out of the drill chuck! Good thing the circular ring is welded at the top of the auger or that auger would be sitting in the bottom of the lake! I reattached the auger bit to the chuck and tightened it down all the way. I started drilling another hole and, as it broke through, the auger bit let loose and I was saved again by the ring. This happened one more time. Then I began to wonder if the bit on the auger was off a little or my drill chuck was faulty. When I examined the bit on the auger the orange paint got me thinking. The whole auger is painted orange, including the bit portion that attaches to the drill chuck. I believe what was happening was that as the paint was loosening up on the bit it was causing the chuck to slowly begin slipping. The paint was very thick, almost like hard plastic on the bit. I thought that if I were to scrape off the paint then the chuck would grab better on a rough surface versus a smooth, painted surface. After removing the paint the best I could with my knife, I reattached the auger bit to my chuck. I then drilled 4 more holes and the auger bit stayed on the drill and the chuck didn't loosen up. As I wanted to make sure that that had been the problem and to see how one, 5 ah battery was holding up, I decided to drill a bunch of holes. I drilled 21 more holes and the drill chuck never came loose at all. So problem solved.
Not a very smart move on the part of Nils to paint the bit part that the chuck attaches to! I hadn't given it any thought before hand, not thinking I would have an issue. As a word to other owners of the Nils convertible auger, you might want to remove the paint on the bit (the part that attaches to the drill chuck) before using it for the first time. I drilled a total of 45 holes and still had half of the power remaining in my battery. It actually showed ¾ power remaining when I put it on the charger this evening. It was 17 degrees when I started and probably got up to 32 degrees during the 4 ½ hours I was on the ice. The drill laid on the ice the entire time with only the battery elevated off of the ice. The battery was never put inside of an insulated cooler. I may do something with the batteries once the temps are in the single digits all day.
Grant it, it was only 7 inches of ice, but I was impressed at the power, speed, how light the set-up is, how smooth it drilled, and how well the battery power held up. Besides the "painted bit" incident, I think this will be a great ice auger for me in the future. I doubt that I will use my gas auger at all anymore. Once we start getting 15-20 inches or more of ice, I will give another review.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: On-ice Nils/Milwaukee 18 Fuel Review
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2017, 04:26 AM »
Great post and info . Thanks Glenwyo.
Oops! is too late.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:02 AM »
I think there's a trick to securely holding a tool using the Milwaukee chuck.  Something like you have to turn it a little in the opposite direction after tightening it.  Maybe someone else who actually knows what they're talking about can chime in.

I don't have this problem because I use a gen 2 clam plate and don't have a chuck (in the winter, at least).

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:46 AM »
Yes, tighten the chuck and then turn back 1/4 turn and you will feel the chuck lock in place.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:49 AM »
Thanks for the review glenwyo!  I’m going to be breaking in a new Nils myself one of these days.  Information on the paint duly noted!  Although I’m using a keyed chuck, so I’m not sure if I’ll experience the same thing.  Very useful information just the same!

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2017, 05:52 AM »
Those Milwaukee chucks will do that on the "backlash" when you let off the trigger.

Offline DBV

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:23 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I purchased the same setup this year and have yet to use it.  Was somewhat worried about it slipping off and also using it for the first time.  Any other tips on using it would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:31 AM »
  glenwyo, What size Nils auger is it? Just curious. I don't think I seen that in your post.

Fishmon

« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2017, 06:59 AM »
Great post!  I have a similar set up with the older 8" Nils (light blue) auger with an adapter.  It cuts like butter.  Once you get used to adjusting the chuck on drill as an earlier post noted, it stays tight.  Can't believe they expected painted portion to stay tight in drill chuck.  I use a slip ring/bungee cord device just to make sure I don't get my first "hole in one".  I have never run the 5 amp battery down despite being out all day.  Spare battery has gone along for the ride so far.

Once again, great information for those trying out this type of a set up. ;D

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:00 AM »
Thank you for your input.  I'm excited to give my 8" a go here soon.  I finally got my shipping confirm from Acme tools, so it should be here Saturday.  Now all I need is ice...I just got my first Nils, and I had to force the handle into the hole on the top of the auger the first time I put it together.  The powdercoat paint was stopping it from freely sliding in, so after putting some decent pressure on it, it scraped some of the paint out and now goes in pretty easily.  Happy drilling!

Offline .Pan Handler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I’ve had the orange Nils for 3 years and use a Dewalt 18V XRP lithium Ion hammer drill. Never had it slip out of th chuck even right away when I first started with the combo. I do crank that sucker down as tight as I can when I reattach the auger though. Lucky I guess.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:51 AM »
  glenwyo, What size Nils auger is it? Just curious. I don't think I seen that in your post.

The Orange augers are 6".   

Looking back I noticed I had the same issue, within the first week or so the chuck would loosen, then it stopped all of  a sudden.  I just figured I finally got it tight enough. Maybe it is the paint.

But after the ice season when I went to remove the chuck.  I had to use channellock pliers on it to loosen it.  It was stuck good.  There's a dent in the chuck from where I had to grip it.  I posted something on here about it.  Everybody said to use oil next time.  Nobody mentioned the turning the chuck a 1/4 turn back to lock it on, so I am still unsure of my problem.

Good review, reaffirms my decision to use a drill from the start.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:27 AM »

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:48 AM »
I just got the M18 - news to me on the 1/4 turn back!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:22 AM »
Yes, tighten the chuck and then turn back 1/4 turn and you will feel the chuck lock in place.

Does anyone know of a video or more instruction on this.  Not feeling anything "lock" in place.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Does anyone know of a video or more instruction on this.  Not feeling anything "lock" in place.

Its not even close to a quarter turn...

Tighten it as you normally would, then like your going to loosen it, turn the chuck that way, immediately you will feel a bump and something free up...

In other words, if the chuck is a clock face, the locking position will be within 2 seconds of wherever it stopped..

Congrats on the new rig!

<°)))>{

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:04 AM »
I was using an 8 inch auger.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:23 AM »
Many thanks glenwyo for a great review of both battery and auger! On the basis of this review my old (and great) Jiffy 30 may be retiring very soon. I really don't need a 9 inch hole and the orthopedic surgeon says he can't repair my ratty 'ol rotator cuff. Great pics of Viva! Looks like some really nice fillets for the smoker!

Offline icecube

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2017, 12:17 PM »
  Thanks glenwyo.  I just bought the 8" orange Nils auger. So was wondering what I was in for. LOL!!  But I am using a Rigid hammer drill. 4.0 battery.  700 inch lbs. of torque. So will see how it compares or even works. Thanks again

Fishmon

« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2017, 01:51 PM »
Agree that Milwaukee drill lock is not a full 1/4 turn.  Just back it off a little and you will feel a bump.  Would be interesting to see something on this on Utube or from Milwaukee directly.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:12 PM »
Would be interesting to see something on this on Utube or from Milwaukee directly.

I agree, really have only heard about it on here...

I understand it but never really use it, never felt a need..

<°)))>{

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2017, 02:59 PM »
I finally got out on the ice yesterday for the first time this year. I had a chance to try out my Nils convertible auger (orange one) on the Milwaukee 18 Fuel cordless drill for the first time. The ice was 6 ½ to 7 inches. The first thing I noticed was how light it was compared to a gas auger I had been using in previous years. Next, when I started drilling holes, I couldn't believe how easy and smooth it cut. There was no binding, jerking, or hanging up whatsoever during break through at the bottom of the hole. Never felt as if the torque was going to twist my wrists as it cut so easily.

This is all done in the low setting on the drill (number 1) and the drill chuck set to drill mode, correct?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 15, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Yes even on the # 1 (slow) setting it’s pretty fast

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Does your drill almost feel like it has a "wobble" to it when you're not actually going through ice?

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Last question, on the M18, I have the speed setting set to "1", but what am I supposed to set the 2-24 gear to?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Last question, on the M18, I have the speed setting set to "1", but what am I supposed to set the 2-24 gear to?

That's your clutch setting, it doesn't even come into play when you are in drill mode... Its for screw mode, you can set it to avoid stripped fasteners..

<°)))>{

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:21 PM »
  Thanks glenwyo.  I just bought the 8" orange Nils auger. So was wondering what I was in for. LOL!!  But I am using a Rigid hammer drill. 4.0 battery.  700 inch lbs. of torque. So will see how it compares or even works. Thanks again
Make sure you use the "drill" mode on your hammer drill and not "hammer" mode and use the low speed setting.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 15, 2017, 11:25 PM »
Does your drill almost feel like it has a "wobble" to it when you're not actually going through ice?
It does a little bit but you won't notice anything while drilling. It drilled perfect. If you run the drill while not drilling it probably has that feeling because the auger bit is so big compared to the drill.

Fishmon

« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:30 AM »
No auger is perfectly balanced which is why you feel a wobble.  Will not notice it when drilling.  Use setting 1 in drill mode as others noted previously.  Happy drilling!

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:53 AM »
Always use speed "1" and 20-24 is fine.  Yes the correct way to tighten the chuck is to wiggle the bit slightly as you tighten to ensure it's centered when it grabs, give it a a bit more tension until snug, twist counter-clockwise until you feel give and then one more twist clock-wise to finally snug tight.  I learned the process trial and error with the k-drill - thank goodness they have the foam floater up top or I also would have lost a few when in reverse and clearing chips back down the hole.  For peace of mind I also push the float downward toward and butt up against the top flighting as if you were to set it free on thin ice I think it'd be possible to send the float under far enough that the bit would clear the hole and you'd be f'ed.. pushing the float down give you some added length as it becomes buoyant quicker before that would happen.

As for the 5.0 XC batts - they're pretty cool and hold up at 0F, wait until you try a 9.0, it'll blow your balls.  You'll notice an immediate power increase and a bit more balance of your drill.  Still use the side handle on my M-18 to avoid covering the breath holes or accidentally shifting from 1 or locking the bit but if you rest the battery against your hip while you drill you have max control.

One thing I noticed about the M18 is that it's possible for the battery to break contact briefly (or something in relation to this).  You'll notice the LED doesn't come on and the trigger is no longer activating the drill.  To solve - unlock and re-lock the batt and you're back in business.  Not sure why this happens Exactly and it doesn't happen often but think one of the battery lock buttons must get depressed or something.  So far I've drilled thousands of holes with this Step-child and it shows signs of battery, lots of beatings on summer project use and it's still resilient!  Somethings gotta give eventually but so far it hasn't.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.