Author Topic: Heater Question  (Read 2651 times)

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
Heater Question
« on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:27 AM »
I recently bought a used Clam 5600 and I wanted to know what type of heater I should use with it.  I was looking around and found a Coleman Survival Cat Emergency Kit that has a very small heater it.  It is only 30 bucks and says that it will increase the temp in the car up to 20 degrees.  Will this be enough for a shanty?  What do you recommend?  Would a Coleman Lantern kick out enough heat?  I am used to sitting on a bucket so I am assuming that any heat will be better than the wind whipping me in the face!  Thanks for the help.

Dan

I am mainly fishing in Northern Illinois and a few trips to Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
Re: Heater Question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2004, 11:45 AM »
At 800 btu it will take a chill off in -10 degrees.
You wont be able to "undress" in your clam, but you wont frezze.

http://www.fogdog.com/sm-coleman-survival-cat-heater-kit--pi-1399169.html

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2004, 12:10 PM »
try a buddy heater! they are temperature controlable!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2004, 02:06 PM »
Id look into a buddy heater. They are well built ,and heat well, they now make a larger sized on called the Mega Buddy Heater. Ive heard alot of negs about the Coleman black cats, alot of people complain of too low output on them. The Buddy Heater is indoor safe, and does have a low oxygen cut off, so you wont aspyixiate.

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2004, 03:07 PM »
How much heat does a lantern give off in a shanty.  I know I will not be down to a tshirt, but are we talking a 5 degree increase or no?

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2004, 04:20 PM »

Zara, I will say from experience that Mr. Buddy is the way to go.  I have the regular one, not the mega, and I love it.  I had, well still have, a Coleman blackcat, and it works good but does not throw the heat the buddy does.  Also the buddy has 2 settings, so you can adjust it.

Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2004, 04:26 PM »
Have to agree on the Buddy heater especially in that size of a shack, maybe even the new bigger buddy, also get a 5 or 10 LB tank and hose, it's way cheaper and easier than using the 1lb canisters.  Not sure how the larger tank would hook up to the new bigger buddy since it has two places to attach the 1lb tanks.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:49 AM »
If you don't mind the noise and your shanty is well ventilated I would go with a Mr. Heater.  They are only $30 or so and they screw right on to a 20lb tank.  They have low/med/high settings.  The buddy heater and mega buddy heater are going to cost you $65-$130 depending upon where you go and who has them on sale.  They are all made by Mr. Heater but for me cost is everything so the plain old Mr. Heater is what I have and use.  I also have the Mr. Heater Jr. which works great for those not so cold days or if I don't want to haul the 20lb tank out on thin ice.  I also use it in my deer stand.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2004, 11:48 AM »
mr heaters are always a good thing too... they are dual purpose... keeping you warm and a cooking source that works awesome with a frying pan if your gonna be out the whole day! 

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2004, 12:07 PM »
Get a buddy! $70 at tractor supply!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2004, 12:27 PM »
Any body ever try a Char-Heat. I just got one , seems like it will do a nice job. Just put a hand full of charcoals in , and light , supposed to last 5hrs.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2004, 04:37 PM »
My 2 cents...Buddy Heater works well.  Worth a couple dollars extra in my opinion.  But I have a Mr. Heater also and as akorchardfishking said already, is dual purpose.  Be careful where you put it in your fabric shack though, it gets hot and can melt fabric if not careful.  Buddy Heater would be more appropriate in a shanty.  Also, carbon monoxide is a possibility with any heater.  Buddy Heater has a low oxygen shutoff.  Heat is a good thing, I think we can all agree on that at least!   :o  Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2004, 06:25 PM »
 think I might be careful on the charcoal unit. Every year people have died by bring in a charcoal  grill inside their house during a power outage for temp heating. I would think it makes more carbon monoxide than other heaters (?)  In a small space it might eat up O2 pretty fast.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2004, 07:22 PM »
Mr heater keeps me toasty all winter. light weight, cheap, dual purpose, WARM :) :)
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2004, 10:58 PM »
I got a Black Cat, because they were on sale at Wally World for 30 bucks and a Buddy heater costs 70 bucks. The Black Cat works fine. If I were rich, I'd get a Mr. Buddy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.