Author Topic: Top 4 ranking  (Read 9158 times)

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
Top 4 ranking
« on: Oct 27, 2004, 02:20 PM »
I have recently come in to some extra cash and I am wondering how you guys/gals would rank purchasing these four items....As one will become my special treat for this upcoming ice year. 
Ice fishing Midwest (Northern Illinois, Central Illinois, Southern Wis., and Northwest Minnesota) for crappie, bluegill, and perch.  Also venturing into the tip-up scene for pike and walleye.
Put in order and in your favorite model

This is what I think:
Vexilar
Portable Shanty
Aqua Vu
Gas Auger

thanks in advance for your input

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
Re: Top 4 ranking
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2004, 02:38 PM »
1. gas auger
2.vexilar
3.potable shanty
4. aqua veiw
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2004, 02:48 PM »
1) Graph/Vex
2) Portable Shanty
3) Aqua-Vu

Buy a Nils Master hand auger for $80.00, and spend the rest of that cash on #1 or #2.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Vex
Shanty
Maybe gas auger
I don't know many who use a vex in combo with an aqua view. Awful lot of equipment for mostly panfish.
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:32 PM »
1. Vexilar
2. Gas Auger
3. Shanty
4. Aqua-vu
Ken                                          

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:35 PM »
#1  Gas Auger   #2  Shanty  #3  Vex   #4  save the money that would be spent on an Aquaview and get yourself a heater....Grump :tipup:

hali-man

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:52 PM »
-Gas Auger
-Vexilar
-Shanty

I can't recommend the Aqua-Vu either.
Get some new rods, jigs and tip-ups.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2004, 03:59 PM »
zara,

Always listen to people named OTIS!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2004, 04:27 PM »
1: Vex
2:power auger
3:Shanty
4:dosn't interest me in the least......seems like more work then fun.
Anthony

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:42 PM »
would say that they are all depending on what you already have and what you fish for.  i like the aqua view when fishing shallow.  the vex or even a boat F/F rigged to be portable  is good.  the shanty is a must if you like to fish in all weather.  make sure it goes up and down in a snap!  nothing sucks more than having to fight with a shanty at the end of the day in the wind when you are cold.  power auger is also a must if the ice gets more than a foot thick and you drill big holes or alot of holes.
BUD

Offline Spicoli

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2004, 05:53 PM »
Gas auger
Vex
Shanty
Aqua view

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2004, 10:50 PM »
Gas auger   portable shanty and forget the rest. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

trapperdirk

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2004, 11:11 PM »
Cant get a line down without an auger or even your vex and aqua view are not worth a damn without it and no sense in having a shanty either .

Auger,vex,shanty, and a good sleigh before even the aquaview . That cam is just a toy . LOL  ;D

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2004, 08:03 AM »
basics, then luxury! get the auger first, if you want to save money buy the nils master hand auger. they cut like butter! then get the shanty, one thats easy to pull with your stuff and sets fast! then the luxury items if you feel you really need them... i would go with a vex before a aqua-vu anyday!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2004, 08:56 AM »
1. Vexilar
2. Gas Auger
3. Portable Shanty
4. Aqua Vu

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2004, 09:06 AM »
1. Vexilar
2. Portable shanty
3.Aqua-vu (hey, i'd never drop one in my hole, but I'd take one before a gas auger!)
4. Gas auger. Hey, get your lazy ass up and hand auger a hole! A little hard work wont kill you! I have a sharp 8" auger, live in the far north, and can burn almost 3 feet of ice in 2 mins flat! What's the point of dragging that auger out there and making all that noise?

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2004, 09:35 AM »
1. Vexilar
2. Portable shanty
3.Aqua-vu (hey, I'd never drop one in my hole, but I'd take one before a gas auger!)
4. Gas auger. Hey, get your lazy ass up and hand auger a hole! A little hard work wont kill you! I have a sharp 8" auger, live in the far north, and can burn almost 3 feet of ice in 2 mins flat! What's the point of dragging that auger out there and making all that noise?

THANK YOU!  I can't believe all the people who put a gas auger as 1 or 2!  No need at all for a gas auger.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2004, 09:46 AM »
If you are fishing that far south, a gas auger probably isn't necessary.  Up here in northern Wisconsin, ony an idiot plays macho man and attempts to hand auger all year.  Here's my list:

1.) portable shanty
2.) Vexilar or Marcum
3.) good 6" hand auger
4.) good heater
5.) upgrade rods/reels

That's a good starter list.  For those who are serious and understand how to use it, an aqua-vu is a very powerfull tool - but one you don't need to jump on right away.   Bottom line is that if you are comfortable, you will fish more.  Fish more and you will learn more.  Learn more and you will catch more fish. 

Offline zaraspooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on top rocks
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2004, 09:56 AM »
Thanks for all of your postings.  Right now I was leaning towards the shanty first I already have a hand auger, and I can burn holes pretty quick with it.   Completely agree with the fact that if I fish more I will learn more and thats the great thing about this site.  Even when I am not fishing I am learning tons each day.  Now how about this....

Shapell or Frabil portable shanties......2 man shelters.......which do you prefer. 

I have to go with these because I have a Chevy Malibu (no need for some Chevy hate mail here...haha) and I need something to fit in the trunk or with the seats down. I am pretty sure that the clam types will be too big.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2004, 10:42 AM »
Here is the website for Clam Corp: http://www.the-clam.com/home.html
If you look at the individual shelters they give the size when they are packed up.

Same on Frabill's site: http://www.frabill.com/port_iceshelters.html

I didn't find a Shapell site but here is one that has info on them: http://www.fish307.com/fish/shappell.htm

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2004, 10:50 AM »
I was going to respond to this but for your particular situation, to recommend something depends on what you're currently using.  If you've ice fished before, then I'd have to assume that you either have access to (either own or borrow) an auger of some sort.  Now that you've provide more info, then I can recommend:

1)  Vexilar (or some flasher style sonar) - narrows down your search especially on new lakes (both location and where fish are in the water column), helps you establish a pattern much quicker.  This item alone is a tool that when used properly can double your catch (assuming that you know how to catch fish already).

2)  Portable Shanty - I should have bought one of these a long time ago.  They can make you more comfortable and still stay mobile.  When you are comfortable and warm, you tend to be on your fishing game a bit more than if you're shivering and borderline hypothermic.  Visit stores, sit in them, learn what's right for you.  I own a Fish Trap Pro and love it, but if I had to buy a new one, I'd get the next size up because it's not much bigger and can accomodate 2 people (the Guide).  Now, there is an accessory that if you fish with someone that has a recent model Fish Trap you can link your two traps together and fish together.  That sounds pretty cool to me.  I might have to invest in that thing.  It's only $20.  Here's the link:

http://www.the-clam.com/acc_trap_link.html

3)  Gas auger   - I would like to own one but really for most of my fishing down South where I am a hand auger works well.  But, I ain't gettin' any younger and the advantage of a gas auger (not only for thick ice) is that you can cut a bunch of holes a lot faster, then use your Vex that you've already purchased under my recommendation to locate fish much faster than if you have a hand auger.  Noise and gas smell are my concern, but I'd have to learn to deal with it.  

4)  Aqua View - A real cool expensive item that could help you see bites when used iwth a flasher.  It's on my wish list, but I can live without this one.  

My personal next investment is to buy an FL 18.  I own a Zercom Clearwater Classic and I love this unit, but it's time to move on and upgrade.  The ability to "ignore" interference from other sonar units is something that the Zerc doesn't have and is an attractive feature of the Vex and Marcum units.  After that, I'm going to save for that gas auger.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2004, 10:51 AM »
God website with lots of links to info on shacks:
http://www.hickorytech.net/~jbusby/buyhut.htm

Offline Tombo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2004, 10:53 AM »
1-Gas auger....depending on how thick your ice gets(and if you're getting older-like me)
2-shanty...if you fish in all conditions

3-Vex

4-camera...this is a luxury item-comes after a heater,sled,1/2doz rods&reels,etc.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2004, 05:29 PM »
1.gas auger
2.shanty
3.vex
4.aqua vu
i got 1 and 2 covered
working on 3
4 is not something im interested in right now

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2004, 06:34 PM »
This is my $.02

1.  Power Auger,  if you have to drill in more than 12" of ice more than 3 times in a year,  you should have a power auger.  The more I learn about ice fishing,  the more I realize I need lots of holes to encourage more movement to productive holes,  eliminating empty water.
2.   Some type of sonar unit-  In this instance,  you can save some money and buy a used item off E-Bay.  You don't need top of the line right out of the box,  you can make even LCD types work on the ice for depth and fish locating,  (eliminating empty water)
3.  Portable Shanty -  You could build your own for less money,  or buy a less expensive one-man.  The trap style are the most versatile and therefore the best IMO
4.  Aqua-View -  If your curiosity is that great,  go for it.
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2004, 06:35 PM »
BTW,  great thread,  this is a really good question.
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2004, 06:50 PM »
1. Vexilar- Gotta see what is below the ice, otherwise your fishing blind!
2. Gas Auger- My gas auger has ,most definetly caught me more fish. With a gas auger, you are less reluctant to pop holes! Pop LOTS of holes, read what going on down below- no fish move to the next hole. Youd be surprised by moving just a few feet from another ice hole can be with fish!
3. Shanty- Lots of advantage to one- wind protection & warmth, youll fish more, and longer because you are more comfy! Also makes a big difference if you sight fish for panfish in shallow water. A blackend ice house/shanty, will allow you to see alot farther down the water- Youll be amazed how far down you can see! Also the ice hole seems to glow when dark in a shanty.
4.Aqua View- Great learning tool, helps you know what is showing on your Vexilar, however once you play with a Vexilar, you'll get to learn what kind of fish os one the screen by the way the marks behave, or the amount of marks. I think its a great tool, but not an absolute necessety.

trapperdirk

« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2004, 03:03 AM »
Funny Killitandgrilliit . I drilled more than my fair share of holes through 3ft of ice and that under 2 minutes is B.S. buddy and calling Michigan the far north . Give me a break . I have an 8 inch hand bomber but moved up in the world to 10 inch 3hp Jiffy .I'll pound 15 holes down through 3ft of ice while your still gasping for air on your first two . I've heard it all now . ;D

TD

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Oct 29, 2004, 06:21 AM »
sonar unit
new snow machine with sled to hall equipment
1 man power auger

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North