Author Topic: best ice creepers cleats?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
best ice creepers cleats?
« on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:03 PM »
For next season I need the best cleats...this season I used inexpensive velcom and rubber strap that had little studs ...the work ok and they stayed on ok...no real complaints exceept by the end of the season half the studs came out...anyway, anything work on boots and pac boots or yak trax or what is the standard within reason money is no object...just want something great.
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: best ice creepers cleats?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:17 PM »
3/8 hex screws work great and are cheap and e-z to replace if they come out

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:18 PM »
I'll let you know my opinion on the STABILicers after this weekend.  I just received mine this week and am headed for Houghton Lake in MI this weekend.  Will be fishing in 40 degree temps, so there will be water on the ice and it'll be slick as snot.  I'll let you know how they do.  I can already tell you if you order them, get a size bigger than what you think you need.  I bought the Large (10.5-12) and they are really too small for my new Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boots, size 10.  They fit my Rocky Jasper Tracs size 10 just fine.

Jeff

BTW, I bought our STABILicers online from basegear.com, $40.95/pair, free shipping.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:20 PM »
3/8 hex screws work great and are cheap and e-z to replace if they come out

I agree, but I didn't want to have to change footwear every time I wanted to go in a business or drive.  Plus I'll wear my boots for more than ice fishing.

Jeff

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:33 PM »
I've used YaxTrax Pros for several years and, well they are generally very good, I've still managed to slip and fall with them.  The ban of YaxTrax is unconsolidated snow on top of glare ice.  They pack up with snow and become useless.  Especially when towing a laden sled out under those conditions, its very easy to have your feet fly out from under you.

I have since spent a $50 bill on Stabilicers and they are, in my opinion, better under all conditions than any other cleat I've used.  Work great with my Mickey Mouse boots under all conditions.  My bones are getting too old to bounce off hard ice.  Probably the best $50 I've spent in some time. 

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2009, 09:35 PM »
Stabilicers are the best by far.
james

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:16 PM »
I have tried/owned them all.  The best in my opinion............... .Artic Spurs. 

Easy to put on and you will never slip with these babies ;)

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2009, 10:33 PM »
For next season I need the best cleats...this season I used inexpensive velcom and rubber strap that had little studs ...the work ok and they stayed on ok...no real complaints exceept by the end of the season half the studs came out...anyway, anything work on boots and pac boots or yak trax or what is the standard within reason money is no object...just want something great.

My portable shack has carpet in it and any of the cleats with some sort of spike get caught in the carpet and trip you up when they get caught. I use the Yak trax. Probably not the best cleat out there as they do get packed with snow but I have never slipped and fallen or got got tripped up by them snagging on the carpet.
Just a thought if your shanty has carpet in it.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Soft_Spot_716

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:48 AM »
i was gunna by a pair that were rubber with metal teeth in the bottom of em this yea for like 9 dollars at dicks sporting goods but we had to much snow to worry bout walking on the ice to slip and fall.
Tight Lines and remember Keep Your Stick on The Ice

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2009, 04:42 AM »
i was gunna by a pair that were rubber with metal teeth in the bottom of em this yea for like 9 dollars at dicks sporting goods but we had to much snow to worry bout walking on the ice to slip and fall.

those are ht's and in my opinion the best for the price. I have a pair going on 5 years and they finally broke this year, I replaced them with the same....
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:40 AM »
crampons!!!

go on line and do some reasearch. i bought a pair years ago after i took a nasty fall. with a set of these on your feet, you OWN the ice.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2009, 05:55 AM »
I use the ht's also have 5 pairs. I put on my boot's and leave them on till ice out no problems with them at all on ice or carpet. matter of fact one's on my boots been useing for 4 yrs. other 4 I keep in my ice chair incase someone don't have any or just have on hand if they did break.... for $5.00 well worth it to me..... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2009, 06:36 AM »
Whatever you get keep in mind what you are doing the rest of the day. If you ride a snowmobile or ATV, don't forget you are throwing one leg over your nice padded seat many times all day. I've seen a couple seats torn that way. Also if you ride a nice sled, your cleats will be scraping away at your foot trays all day too.

I've had good luck with stabilicers. Easy on and off is nice with just a couple of velcro straps. They aren't too heavy. Unless it's down to glare ice on a warm slippery day, I'd just rather shuffle along in my boots though.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2009, 07:13 AM »
Ht's Only remember that they come in different sizes. When I bought mine I didn't know this and just bought what they had on the shelf. Just make sure you get the ones for the boots you use or several for the the whole family. I never leave the house without them. If you get the right size you wont mind putting them on and taking them off.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:23 AM »
I love my Yak Trax Pro's.   Don't have to take them off to go into a store or to drive or anything, just leave em on and they work great!  I don't normally wear them when there is snow on the ice....

Offline pikekiller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those toothy critters!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:49 AM »
I've used the Stabilicers this season, and they are pretty impressive but not the best value.  I paid around 50 through Cabela's, because I had a gift card.  Even $40 is a lot to spend on creepers.  My old pair which slip over the toe of your boot and stretch around the back of your foot (HT's I think) are better bang for the buck.  The straps on the Stabilicers can ice up pretty bad.  I switched fishing spots mid day once, and pulled them off to drive.  They didn't go back on very well.  Just had to thaw them out at the end of the day, but it might be an issue if you don't want to wear them all day.
"You can't catch 'em from your living room!"

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #16 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:53 PM »
i would have to say the HTs best bang for the buck i'v seen some similar and they were more than double in price my friend bought the more expensive ones and to be honest there not any better

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 13, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I( had a pair of KORKERS for many years and still consider them the very best you can buy (price range $40-$50).  Some how I lost them two years ago and couldn't find a replacement pair so I bought STABILICERS.  They are working fine and I have no complaints with them, but if I see a pair of KORKERS again, I'm going to buy them.  It's a matter of feeling REALLY SECURE, and the Korkers can't be beat for that.

Just my op[inion.

IceBalls

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.