The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: CORN  (Read 4151 times)

Offline Wyoflightmedic

• IceShanty Rookie
CORN
« on: Jan 01, 2014, 03:48 PM »
2014/2015 Wyoming Fishing regulations do not mention that corn is illegal to use.  2012/2013 clearly stated corn was illegal.  It will be interesting to see if the trout catching numbers increase.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: CORN
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2014, 04:14 PM »
We used to fish off a lake dock as kids and would pop a few holes in a can of corn, tie a string through the top of the can, and lower it down. Insta-chum! It was a family-owned lake too by the way.

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline snyderd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2014, 09:36 AM »
Cream of corn works best

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:04 PM »
It's only good for trout because they eat anything.  They eat powerbait afterall. ;D

I'll only use corn for carp, they love it.  Easy way to get bait.

Offline Moosedog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Forty some years ago we got stuck and stranded on a spring fishing trip I was just little and my mom fed us the corn we brought to fish with :'(   That is all I remember about using corn.

Offline wyoboypt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2014, 11:53 PM »
So is it officialy legal now?

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 12:07 AM »
I used to use it when I was a kid fishing for trout at Estes Park Colorado worked great

Never to many short poles

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 07:47 AM »
May want to post a note to the Game and Fish and ask for sure. I know from doing research white corn is a go to bait for Kokanee salmon in other parts of the world. Corn has never been allowed in WY as long as I can remember. I remember all the old timers when I was young saying they wish they could use it as it always worked.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Look at the disclaimer inside the cover. This booklet is a CONDENSED SUMMARY,and many other applicable wildlife laws apply.This summary is in no way intended to alter content or statutory intent. CORN IS ILLEGAL TO USE OR POSSESS WHILE FISHING  IN WYOMING. This is the exact language found in Wyoming Statute chapter 46.

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:03 AM »
I called the G&F Friday and they said it was legal now. The biologists said they tested it at some of the hatcherys with little success. 

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:09 AM »
 I am trying to find the current statutes but cant find anything I trust as current. 2010 is the latest posted on wyo legisweb.  They allow corn in Idaho and I have used it for Kokanee but never tried it on anything else.   I  wish they had just printed the whole statute and  not put the disclaimer inside the front cover.

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:08 PM »
I am trying to find the current statutes but cant find anything I trust as current. 2010 is the latest posted on wyo legisweb.  They allow corn in Idaho and I have used it for Kokanee but never tried it on anything else.  I  wish they had just printed the whole statute and  not put the disclaimer inside the front cover.

I think printing the entire statute would make the regulations book way too thick and cumbersome.  Look at Wyobear says in his post.

ClearCreek

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2014, 01:28 PM »
OK pulled out the 2013 Wyoming statue book at it reads, The latest in print (2014 doesn't come out till July):

Statue 23-3-202. USE OF LIVE FISH AND CORN AS BAIT.

(a) The commission may designate waters in which live fish or corn may be used as bait, and may designate the types of and origin of live fish which may be used as bait in any waters.
(b)No person shall have any live fish or corn in his possession while fishing other than as authorized by the commission.
(c)No person shall release any live baitfish unless authorized by the commission.
(d) Violation of this section constitutes a low misdemeanor punishable as provided in W.S. 23-6-202(a)(v)

Clear as mud! LOL The way I read this is unless it say its OK to use corn in a certain drainage or lake then it is still ileagal.

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:05 PM »
thanks Appleye, I also posted the question on the ask game and fish page,I agree they have made it clear as mud.  I have used corn for kokanee in Idaho and I have to be careful and get it out of my boat when I come home to fish in Wyoming.  I looked up a few of the lakes where livebaitfish may be used and they do not mention the use of corn there either.  I really don't have a position on it,I just  want it to be clarified. It does appear to me that there has been some movement on it  with the language in the statute which you posted,Thanks for the info.   

Offline shainr1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:19 PM »
wyobear called and they said u can use it. I have looked and it sounds true to me

Offline powder river drifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2014, 02:57 PM »
I was told that fish couldn't digest corn an would die if they ate it. True or Untrue?

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:08 PM »
OK pulled out the 2013 Wyoming statue book at it reads, The latest in print (2014 doesn't come out till July):

Statue 23-3-202. USE OF LIVE FISH AND CORN AS BAIT.

(a) The commission may designate waters in which live fish or corn may be used as bait, and may designate the types of and origin of live fish which may be used as bait in any waters.
(b)No person shall have any live fish or corn in his possession while fishing other than as authorized by the commission.
(c)No person shall release any live baitfish unless authorized by the commission.
(d) Violation of this section constitutes a low misdemeanor punishable as provided in W.S. 23-6-202(a)(v)

Clear as mud! LOL The way I read this is unless it say its OK to use corn in a certain drainage or lake then it is still ileagal.

The statute that you list gives the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission the power to regulate the use of corn (and live bait minnows) as bait.  Prior to this version of 23-3-202 the statute prohibited the use (and possession of corn while fishing) of corn as bait.   The current 23-3-202 was passed a few years ago.

Someone mentioned that the regulations don't say you can use corn as bait.  Fishing Regulations usually specify what you can't do, they generally don't specify all the things you can do.  For instance the fishing regulations don't specify that you CAN use bacon for fishing bait, but the regulations do specify that you CAN NOT use trout meat for bait. 

The bottom line is starting January 1, 2014 anglers in Wyoming can now use corn for bait.  If anglers don't like this regulation or want to change it there will be a chance to discuss it in the next fishing regulations cycle (2016-2017).

appleye - I feel like I am preaching to the choir here discussing regulations, etc. with you!

ClearCreek

Offline shainr1976

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:09 PM »
that's not true power river drifter google it

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2014, 03:19 PM »
I was told that fish couldn't digest corn an would die if they ate it. True or Untrue?

Untrue. 

The studies that have been done on fish digestion of corn have concentrated on trout.  The studies have shown that at "normal" trout feeding temperatures they can digest corn.  As water temperatures get colder (higher 30's and lower 40's F) it takes them longer to digest corn, but that can be said about almost all foods trout eat, they are cold blooded so when the water temperatures are cold their metabolic processes slow down.

What you posted drifter has been out there for many decades, but the research that has been done does not support that theory.

ClearCreek

Offline Wyosledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd rather be fishin
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:34 PM »
 I found one highlight in blue  that I liked,we can finally gig  sculpins for bait legal now,lakers like em :)

Offline WYOBEAR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:55 PM »
True story guys. Call the G&F for yourself tomorrow.  Just trying to help.

Offline Baiter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get jiggy with it!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2014, 05:49 PM »
What about Corn Nuts? BBQ flavor haha
Fishing is not about life or death, it is much more important than that! And all I have to say is FISH ON baby.

Offline powder river drifter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2014, 06:42 PM »
thanks good to know

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:42 AM »

Only in Wyoming  :-\   Except now they can  ;)

Chuck Ward with the G&F in Casper used to tell us that Boysen walleyes didn't like minnows  ???

Times change.  Keep up to date and play by their rules.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2014, 10:27 AM »
Years ago while Ice fishing diamond reservoir, not to fare from RockRiver I caught 2 rainbows that were very skinny with a lump in their stomachs. Both had undigested corn that had lumped into a hard mass.  They looked like they were starving and could not digest or pass this lump mass of corn kernels..  ???????????????       
olefish

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Only in Wyoming  :-\   Except now they can  ;)

Chuck Ward with the G&F in Casper used to tell us that Boysen walleyes didn't like minnows  ???

Times change.  Keep up to date and play by their rules.

Now that is funny, what did he suggest you use instead? lol.

Offline BeeFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Mmmmm corn

Offline culinarypunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:03 PM »
Talked to Craig at the Green River office this morning.
Corn is now legal in the state of WY.
The koke and carp fishermen  should be happy
to add this to their arsenal!

Offline lingrus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Now that is funny, what did he suggest you use instead? lol.

I doubt if he had a clue. He was one of those who think you should only fly fish.  I don't think he approved of live bait.  He used to do a radio and TV show on KTWO in the early 70s.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2014, 07:57 AM »
The Koke's should love it. I may have to go to the Gorge to try for salmon now. LOL From what I've read corn IS the deal of Kokanee. Never had trouble with catching carp, just saying. LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.