Author Topic: Anyway to keep the dog from getting frostbite?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On, EH
Anyway to keep the dog from getting frostbite?
« on: Jan 24, 2005, 07:47 PM »
The problem I am having is my dog likes to ride in front of me on the snowmachine. Our temps have been hitting the -30 degree celsius and than add the wind factor in, it gets mighty cold on the dog. Anyone know of a helmet/goggles that they make for dogs? I have tried designing a few but can't seem to get it right.
*REMOVED*
Born to Fish, Forced to Work
<')(((((>{

Offline Cold-Foot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bound the bottom !!!
Re: Anyway to keep the dog from getting frostbite?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:00 PM »
You know that old saying (if a dog can't hunt...ect) well if that dog can't fish leave his butt at home. He don't need you hauling his butt out across the frozen lake flying on a ATV. I'm sure he'd be better and happier back home waiting for you to return instead of him becoming a frozen slush puppie cus you want to have your dog with you. Take him fishing in the boat and let him sit out those brutal cold ice fishing days.
a little jiggle never hurts

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:04 PM »
^^^^^^I'm with you,I wouldnt bring my furry little freind out in that weather,He will freeze his nugget pouch off. :blink:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2005, 08:27 PM »
I gotta agree with leaving the pooch at home. They really can get their nubbins frostbitten and a dog with a jigging spoon caught in his nose isn't a pleasant thing to have on the ice. My son wanted to bring his young Lab on the ice this winter and all he heard was a flat no. I'm not saying that you would let yours run on the ice, but I know from experience that people don't like them peeing on their tipups.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2005, 10:31 PM »
I am not real fond of dogs on the ice but I never minded a "well behaved" pooch if his owner/trainer keeps him close.
You asked a question and I think you need to find a lady handy with a crocheting needle. I wear what I think is called a Balavaca. It is a knitted hood that covers everything but my eyes including my neck. I am sure you could get something like this made to help the pooch out-IF YOU INSIST.
My brother used to bring his Lab out on the ice but he had a portable shanty and a mat and blanket he put down for the dog. Actually the mat and blanket where quite warm and the dog slept just fine on it in some brutal weather. Depending on the type of dog (species) and if he is used to the cold you may not have to worry much unless he is totally ignorant and keeps his head out the window or above the shield at 60 MPH in -20. Husky's and Malamutes are designed for this if they are properly conditioned. Mush!
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2005, 12:35 AM »
Well if you are going to bring the dog out on the ice during those temps here are some addresses for goggles
www.doggles.com
Also at those temps I would try to protect his paws Drfosters.com has booties for his paws

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2005, 06:56 AM »
Tracker
Dogs are not stupid and if the temps are getting to cold for him he will let you know.  I have 2 border collies that are my constant ice fishing companions.  They have stayed out with me all day at -20 F.  It is all in the individual breed of dog.  Short haired dogs are not as good in cold weather.  Always bring a blanket so they can get off the ice if they need to.  The dog will know.  My dogs would rather lay down in a snow drift but if there is just ice and no snow mine will take breaks on my jacket or a blanket.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

missfishylicious

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2005, 07:52 AM »
I bring my golden all the time.but we don't use an ATV so I can't help you there.This might seem stupid but you could try cutting the end off a clear baggie and slipping over his nose just for the trip out .My dog would never go for it but it's cheeper than goggles  ;D.and it wouldn't protect his nose but sled dogs noses don't seem to freeze.

As far as freezing his feet I wouldn't bring my dog out in the friged temps without her shanty blanket rug and heater. ;D

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2005, 11:47 AM »
My dog is learning to sit behiond me on the ATV that way he is protected from the wind. When we get out there he stays near me while drilling holes, checking tilts, taking off fish, give him a few ice chips and he is in his glory. When he does get cold I put him on the atv rack bag or sled and cover him up with a blanket. He never complains, eats my food, but will share in a little of my beer.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2005, 06:58 PM »
Could be as simple as keepling your zipper closed!
 :D  ;D  :D  ;D  ;D

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:07 PM »
I have to agree with leaving the pooch at home when it is too cold.

The 1st time I took the family dog out for an ice fishing trip was unfortunately the last. My wife will not let me take her after her 1st trip (oops, my bad).  :whistle:

Treked for a few miles through snow to this remote place, finally followed a river down into to the lake, she fell into some open water (dried her off), she probably chased a 1/2 dozen rabbits or who knows what else (she is a beagle) on the way out from there and I ended up one leg into some open water trying to find her. Got to lake and fished until dark. 12+ hours later we head home and she slept for 3 days straight. It was cold and my wife thought I killed her.

But you can't beat the faithfulness of a man's best friend! My dog would return in a heartbeat and loved every minute of it but my wife would probably last about 15 minutes before pulling the plug on such an event.  :unsure:

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2005, 10:28 PM »
DUH!
Keep him off the sled. We bundle up dogs are not made to get hit with the wind chill factor from snowmobiles or they would wear suits as well. Common sense my friend leave him by the shanty. If not he will get arthritis and you will have to put him down. :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2005, 07:39 PM »
My dog goes with me everywhere including my boat and jet ski. I don't have a snowmobile but I would try it if I did. 
However I only take the dog if it will be a fun trip for both of us. Dogs need conditioning for the cold if you plan to have the dog outside on the ice all day precautions against hypthermia are a must.  Especially if your partner is a house pet.
Make sure your dog has some warm shelter out out of the wind and access to water. If your out all day a snack or meal for your animal might be appropriate.
I have one of those labs that would rather be outside the shanty seeing what is going on. I"m trying to train her to bark if a flag goes up. (not serious but it might be worth doing on those slow days. :tipup:
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2005, 04:38 PM »
I bring my shorthaired german pointer on the ice. She does fine in cold weather. Though she never stops running. She seems to do fine. She likes to visit everyone. Ive never been hollered at by anyone about her. 
I took her out last week and she got her first treble in the lip. So cute. She tried to eat a shiner when I pulled it out of the hole.
But I wouldnt take her anywhere far from home if I had to take her back.

missfishylicious

« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2005, 07:39 AM »
well the reason you have never been yelled at is obvious .you said she no tip wet tipups ;D

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2005, 08:22 AM »
well the reason you have never been yelled at is obvious .you said she no tip wet tipups ;D
????

missfishylicious

« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2005, 11:12 AM »
oops must have tripped over my own fingers  ;D
let me be more specific no yellow tipups :o.folks get upset when there tipups get yellowed :D

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2005, 04:16 PM »
oops must have tripped over my own fingers  ;D
let me be more specific no yellow tipups :o.folks get upset when there tipups get yellowed :D
LOL. No No yellow tip-ups. Shes a good girl, in fact she hates it when people watch her go pee. She seems to get embarrassed. Shell run off the ice - usually.

Offline hollis

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2005, 10:54 PM »
Daughter works for a Vet and each year they lose dogs from exposure to cold weather. People think a doghouse is enough or that "their" breed is tough. That may be true for Huskies or Malmutes but other dogs do die when it gets too cold.  I've had people point out that their dog will often lay out in the snow when its very cold so they know their dog likes the cold. Daughter says often thats how they find the dog in the morning,... Outside the doghouse laying on the snow. I also remember reading that often people dieing of the cold will remove all of their cloths because they feel too hot near the end. My border collie has very thick fur but she likes her insulated dog house with a pretty tight door,..also has 2 light bulbs in it attached to a 110v thermostate to keep it around 60. She also has a Dogaloo with a door and with hay in it. She will use that on mild days but goes in the heated one as soon as it gets real cold. I bring her in each night because I know she likes it and so do I.

missfishylicious

« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2005, 10:06 AM »
hollis you can't make that point too often or too much for my taste but my girl (golden retriever house pooch) goes out with a shanty, wool rug, blanket and mr heater.she loves to play ball and meet the dog loving fisherman .we keep her close because of hidden holes.don't need any broken legs out there either.

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2005, 02:26 PM »
Here in Montana, my chesapeake bay retriever does pretty well during duck season. I bought her a Cabelas neoprene camo vest and she dives into the lake to retrieve ducks. During ice season though, I leave the girl at home. I've seen her go out on ice when it was -10 and she would hobble around in pain. I couldn't stand the sight. I think she is much happier in a cozy warm house.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.