The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: How do you rig your tip ups  (Read 1223 times)

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
How do you rig your tip ups
« on: Mar 18, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Just wondering because I fish for different species and always need to change the leaders.  How do you rig your tip ups for northerns?

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
Re: How do you rig your tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 06:10 PM »
Check out these two Forums here on Ice Shanty.Com:
Tipups

N. Pike
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:45 PM »
thanks a lot there was a lot of good info in those threads

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 07:29 PM »
 :tipup:    I can tell you I experimented with fluorcarbon this season for pike. Started with #15 and went up to #25. Maybe I did get more flags (no way of knowing for sure) than with my steel leaders, but I lost some nice fish due to bite-offs, even with the #25. That does it, it's back to steel for me!  :tipup:

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 07:34 PM »
I tie a barrel swivel to the end of my tipup braid backing.  Then at the leader i start with a snap swivel tied to the leader material (whether its superbraid, flouro, mono, etc.)  I store different leaders wrapped around a piece of pipe insulation (the round foam).  If I need to change leaders in a hurry, either on the ice or the night before I can quickly swap them out without having to retie new leaders for every trip.  Keeps things very quick, easy, and neat.
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline ajsoma8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:40 PM »
I tie a barrel swivel to the end of my tipup braid backing.  Then at the leader i start with a snap swivel tied to the leader material (whether its superbraid, flouro, mono, etc.)  I store different leaders wrapped around a piece of pipe insulation (the round foam).  If I need to change leaders in a hurry, either on the ice or the night before I can quickly swap them out without having to retie new leaders for every trip.  Keeps things very quick, easy, and neat.

great idea....thats what I am doin!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.