The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Auger Drill Adapter  (Read 1226 times)

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
Auger Drill Adapter
« on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:06 PM »
***Caution when buying drill adapters for augers***
Going into this year I had a 24v Kobalt brushless 1/2 impact.  I thought, maybe I could find the drill online cheap without a battery since I had the 4amp 24v extended battery for the impact already.  Found one on ebay.  50 bucks brand new.  This weekend we tried out the first bit from amazon on a Strikemaster 6" auger,  Holy smokes!  Blown away.  I will never lug around a gas auger anymore.  About twenty holes in I caught myself not fishing and more entertained with hole making, I wasn't paying attention and the auger bumped just right and lost the entire rig in the hole with the drill in my hands.  I laughed knowing I have a few spares but still a learning experience.   I have a Kdrill in route but I wanted something else as a backup in case something happened to the Kdrill.

Anyone looking for a quick fix and using a drill bit adapter for their Auger - Be warned, the chuck can let go of the auger and as I experienced this weekend, will go to the bottom of a lake pretty quick.  LOL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LZX2LZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_fKplCbVWBZWS9

However, I did find a solution on amazon and it appears it works off from a similar idea that the Ice pistol uses with a plate to prevent it from going down the hole. I have not tried this one but I will be ordering to try as my backup for the kdrill.  This would allow me to only have to carry two augers or keep one in the truck for a spare in case something happened or I blow out blades.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077RY6N5B/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_uUplCbJ4YPFFP

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
Re: Auger Drill Adapter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2019, 12:29 PM »
Look up "Kovac Ice Master Drill Adapters".  I have been using drill set ups since they first came out.  These adapters have a strap that goes around the drill so that you can't lose the auger down the hole if it comes loose.  They are also made of steel as opposed to the cheap aluminum that the other ones are made of. 

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:25 PM »
Look up "Kovac Ice Master Drill Adapters".  I have been using drill set ups since they first came out.  These adapters have a strap that goes around the drill so that you can't lose the auger down the hole if it comes loose.  They are also made of steel as opposed to the cheap aluminum that the other ones are made of. 

:woot:

Well...Thank you!  This looks pretty slick as well.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2019, 01:29 PM »
Add a frisbee and nut and bolt good to go ...plus its adjustable for height

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/657283-hi-tech-fishing-12-power-ice-auger-adapter-shaft.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2019, 04:46 PM »
The cordless drills have a lot of torque and I didn't like the idea of straps or disks that could catch my ice suit of something hanging around my neck like pics. Luckily I was directed by some knowledgeable fishermen who kind of pioneered the cordless movement to have a machined adapter made. I elected to have a 16" with Dewalt threads at one end and the same connection as the finbore handle for the auger. I can easily switch from a 4 1/2", 6" or and 8" finbore auger. The difficult part is the drill chuck has to be removed and the adapter just reverse screws onto the spindle threads that held the chuck. Won't come off and doesn't add much weight. No wobble and a nice clean connection. That adapter cost me less than 60 bucks and is stainless steel. I understand the adapter can be almost any length and be machined for whatever brand drill you have.

Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline 802spinnerbait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fishing nerd
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:21 AM »
The cordless drills have a lot of torque and I didn't like the idea of straps or disks that could catch my ice suit of something hanging around my neck like pics. Luckily I was directed by some knowledgeable fishermen who kind of pioneered the cordless movement to have a machined adapter made. I elected to have a 16" with Dewalt threads at one end and the same connection as the finbore handle for the auger. I can easily switch from a 4 1/2", 6" or and 8" finbore auger. The difficult part is the drill chuck has to be removed and the adapter just reverse screws onto the spindle threads that held the chuck. Won't come off and doesn't add much weight. No wobble and a nice clean connection. That adapter cost me less than 60 bucks and is stainless steel. I understand the adapter can be almost any length and be machined for whatever brand drill you have.

Thanks!  I believe George at Big river tackle makes the one that you reverse into the chuck head as well, probably similar to what your you are talking about.  I know they are designed like that for a reason after losing a 6" to the lake the other day.  I am getting a good consensus of whats out there so I appreciate the input.  Curious to check out this construction on the reverse style.  I might be able to machine it myself and I haven't found one on the internet to look at...

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:22 AM »
Pretty sure that is where my adapter came from. I'll add very high quality and a perfect fit.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.