The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Another drill thread  (Read 5822 times)

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another drill thread
« on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Hey guys, I know the drill auger topic has been beaten to death and have researched as many threads as I could. Just kinda looking for outside input on my specific situation.

I am usually a pick a spot kinda guy. Typically will drill less than 15 holes a day in 6-26” of ice. Commonly very cold though (-20F). Own a jiffy gas 8” but am getting sick of hauling it around to fish by myself (and gas leaking).

I already am vested with a ~430 in-lbs dewalt xr. I don’t believe this will be enough power to turn any size auger? I do have 3- 2.0 ah batteries for this system though. Would buying the 996 bare tool (1000 in lbs) for ~$75 get me far enough with my 2.0 ah batteries?

I also have an M18 radio that I will bring with me fishing normally anyway that I have 1- 5.0 fuel battery for. Is it a better option to spring for the 27/2804 m18 for $250 and have 2 more 5.0ah batteries for the radio and drill?

Auger itself I am trying to decide between 6”-7” mora or Lazer.

6” mora and 996 bare tool I’m only into it $140 total.

Is a 7” hole that much better when pike/trophy walleye fishing?

I know the m18 and batteries would get me a lot more holes and turn the 7” bit better, just not sure it’s worth $350 with the 7” Lazer when I have the jiffy still collecting dust.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Another drill thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:32 AM »
I suppose I could also buy the Milwaukee bare tool for $125 and use my 1 5.0 battery. Drill my 10 holes and still have juice leftover to run the radio at least for a little while?

I guess my biggest worry right now is that the 2 ah batteries are only gonna get me 3 holes a piece when it’s super cold out and then I’m SOL.

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:43 AM »
I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you will be best served doing all the research you can and making a decision for yourself. The different options you have presented are just that, very different. It is for you to decide if you want a Camry a Cadillac or a lambo not me. I will say as you seem to be aware, the drill you currently own will only give you grief. The new dewalt set up seems feasible, I would add that your cost figure of $140 is incorrect as you will likely add an extension and if you can't custom fabricate yourself a drill/auger adapter that will run you $20 or more as well. The batteries are the weak link and you will likely be left with two dewalt drills and shot batteries before long.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:47 AM »
pm sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:11 AM »
If you have the 5ah m18 battery, go with a fuel drill with 725in/lb torque and you’ll be set with either auger. But if you might want 8” auger then go with shaver style augers.  Or look for the 800in/lb and up rangebfor a drill. Just be aware, it’s common for the 7-8” laser augers to catch the bottom of the ice. just don’t let the auger pull itself down as fast as it wants, lift a bit at breakthrough or through the entire drilling process. I’ve used the 725in/lb drill for the past three years with the 7” lazer and never had a problem. Not needed for some people, but I highly recommend the clam plate. it adds stability to any auger drill setup.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2018, 11:16 AM »
A couple of years ago my buddy had a drill with a smaller ah battery, the drill had enough torque but when drilling with the smaller amp batteries it would cut out start again cut out. With my experience you really want a drill and at least a 5ah battery. But you can start with a clam plate and auger and try your drill out, if it doesnt work upgrade your drill. The clam plate is geared which could help. I have an older clam plate that is geared you will want to look into the  new ones to make sure they are still geared.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:19 PM »
A couple of years ago my buddy had a drill with a smaller ah battery, the drill had enough torque but when drilling with the smaller amp batteries it would cut out start again cut out. With my experience you really want a drill and at least a 5ah battery. But you can start with a clam plate and auger and try your drill out, if it doesnt work upgrade your drill. The clam plate is geared which could help. I have an older clam plate that is geared you will want to look into the  new ones to make sure they are still geared.

I got one last year and it isn't geared, doesn't need to be, I think the gearbox was an extra addition to buy.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:39 PM »
I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you will be best served doing all the research you can and making a decision for yourself. The different options you have presented are just that, very different. It is for you to decide if you want a Camry a Cadillac or a lambo not me. I will say as you seem to be aware, the drill you currently own will only give you grief. The new dewalt set up seems feasible, I would add that your cost figure of $140 is incorrect as you will likely add an extension and if you can't custom fabricate yourself a drill/auger adapter that will run you $20 or more as well. The batteries are the weak link and you will likely be left with two dewalt drills and shot batteries before long.

I did not think they were quite that different options. Both drills are top of their class per their respective brands.

I guess the question really came down if my 3 -2 ah batteries would be adequate for my style of fishing or if I should spend the money and buy into the mke setup more.

You seem to think the dewalts will not be adequate?

I do understand that my scatter brained approach does not make it easy to decode my real questions.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I run a DeWalt 20 with two 5 ah batteries.  There are two things that will make this work.  1)  ...IT HAS TO BE A BRUSHLESS DRILL.  all others will burn up immediately or eventually.  2)  5.0 ah batteries.  The variables are clam plate, K thingy, homemade chuck, extensions etc...  I fish Nebraska when we have ice and make numerous trips to northwest Minnesota through late January where there is incredibly thick ice and I am now am on my third season with my set up.  I will not bore the masses with my photos, but could locate a few if you want to PM me.  I had 4 or 5 different gassers over the years and as far as weight and ease of use, I can't believe I listened to the "Never Battery'ers" for so long!!!  It was fake news!!!  My setup has never let me down.  Still using the same batteries!!!! 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:04 PM »
I run a DeWalt 20 with two 5 ah batteries.  There are two things that will make this work.  1)  ...IT HAS TO BE A BRUSHLESS DRILL.  all others will burn up immediately or eventually.  2)  5.0 ah batteries.  The variables are clam plate, K thingy, homemade chuck, extensions etc...

So you do not think my smaller batteries would work well? That’s what I’ve seen everywhere to keep it above 4-5 ah. I guess that’s probably best.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:07 PM »
I did not think they were quite that different options. Both drills are top of their class per their respective brands.

I guess the question really came down if my 3 -2 ah batteries would be adequate for my style of fishing or if I should spend the money and buy into the mke setup more.

I do understand that my scatter brained approach does not make it easy to decode my real questions.

Did you get my PM ….the Dewalt would be fine ..I ran a 995 w/4ah batteries atop a Clam Plate and 8"Kdrill last season..the Dewalt 996 has even more torque but its the batteries you will be disappointed in ..some cut outs and amount of holes ...I will be running a Milwaukee 2704 this season..as I decided against a upgrade to the 996
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:36 PM »
[quote

[/quote]

I think juggling 3 2ah batteries, attempting to keep all 3 warm. To just get by after making an investment in the dewalt  tool and necessary auger accessories would be a mistake. I think you have to ask yourself if you are a dewalt, Milwaukee or ridged man and bite the bullet on a drill with and adequate torque and a battery or two that are large enough to handle the cold and their duty. 4ah is what seems to consistently be recommended as a minimum.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Did you get my PM ….the Dewalt would be fine ..I ran a 995 w/4ah batteries atop a Clam Plate and 8"Kdrill last season..the Dewalt 996 has even more torque but its the batteries you will be disappointed in ..some cut outs and amount of holes ...I will be running a Milwaukee 2704 this season..as I decided against a upgrade to the 996

Yes. I have never heard of acme tool before? $100 for the Milwaukee seems like a really good deal. Im definitely starting to think the 5 ah I have is probably a better system to build off of in the long run.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:50 PM »
[quote
I think juggling 3 2ah batteries, attempting to keep all 3 warm. To just get by after making an investment in the dewalt  tool and necessary auger accessories would be a mistake. I think you have to ask yourself if you are a dewalt, Milwaukee or ridged man and bite the bullet on a drill with and adequate torque and a battery or two that are large enough to handle the cold and their duty. 4ah is what seems to consistently be recommended as a minimum.

Yeah I think that’s probably right. 3 batteries sliding around in a sled and getting lost along the way is probably more of what will actually happen.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Not sure which route your going Clam plate or just an adapter ...Clam Plate with an extension is great ...no extension lil short for your back ...as far as the best adapter HT has one that nice as its adjustable ..good deal too..Fits SM mora/lazer and several others except nils I believe ..a Mora will do just fine for your needs the Lazers can/will bind up from time to time.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/657283-hi-tech-fishing-12-power-ice-auger-adapter-shaft.html

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:56 PM »

Offline Iawinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:59 PM »
If you go for the Milwaukee and want the second handle, go with the 2803 or 2804. Otherwise, the 2700s work just fine, their second handle isn't well thought out.

I'm using a 6" K-drill w/2704 and 2 5 amp batteries. I get at least 15 holes out of one battery, but I'm like you, get on some structure and fish. Don't hole hop much.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:14 PM »
this will fix you up for the rest of your life. if you register it to a family member, say a son, it will last the rest of their life.

209 to your door. if you call home depot it will be 199 to your door,

1300 inch pound hammer drill and lifetime warranty. strongest drill and best warranty on the market.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

9amp battery with bluetooth and lifetime warranty
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Starter-Kit-with-Charger-AC801/304740781

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2018, 02:24 PM »
this will fix you up for the rest of your life. if you register it to a family member, say a son, it will last the rest of their life.

1300 inch pound hammer drill and lifetime warranty. strongest drill and best warranty on the market.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ridgid-18-Volt-OCTANE-Cordless-Brushless-1-2-in-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Tool-Only-R8611506B/304304102

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-OCTANE-9-0-Ah-Lithium-Ion-Battery-Starter-Kit-with-Charger-AC801/304740781

Add if you can find one a 7" Nero hand auger/drill kit for under $100. You have solved your extension and auger bit needs.  Replacement Blades are only $15. $300 and you have a lifetime warranty drill/ beast of a battery and a wicked fast auger.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2018, 03:51 PM »

Damn that's a good deal, told myself I didn't need to get any new toys this year.....might just have to to see how it compares to the milwaukee.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2018, 04:17 PM »
Damn that's a good deal, told myself I didn't need to get any new toys this year.....might just have to to see how it compares to the milwaukee.
Nate, you and I have not always seen eye to eye but this is an exceptional deal on a beast of a drill whether you use it to spin an auger or not. It's got a pair.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2018, 07:56 PM »
A lot of info to sift through in this discussion.

If you are already on a Dewalt and Milwaukee battery platform stick with one of those. Why introduce another battery platform to yourself such as Rigid if you already have things that take Dewalt and Milwaukee? To me that’s just a bit foolish but you’ll see that sort of thing coming from the fanboys of a particular drill brand.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:36 PM »
Nate, you and I have not always seen eye to eye but this is an exceptional deal on a beast of a drill whether you use it to spin an auger or not. It's got a pair.

Haha ya I just wasn’t sure the point of that thread, but you mentioned turning a 10 inch with this drill right? Is there a 10 inch that will work with the clam plate that you know of?

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #23 on: Nov 30, 2018, 02:21 AM »
Milwaukee mudmixer and 12ah battery and Chuck pretty much any auger up ya want and pretty much drill all the holes ya want in one day.
]

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:12 AM »
So you do not think my smaller batteries would work well? That’s what I’ve seen everywhere to keep it above 4-5 ah. I guess that’s probably best.
  I am no expert... they may work.  I can tell you my 5 ah battery drills on average, between 12-24 holes a day, through ice so thick that I have to use an extension.  (usually about 3 ft.)  My batteries have a button and an LED indicator to check the power and I rarely see it come off of all three bars.  Last year in Nebraska we drilled about 25 holes on a battery I forgot to plug in the night before.  (10-15 ")  My suggestion is that the bigger batteries will provide peace of mind, will likely perform better,  and come with that fancy power checker on the unit.   If somebody is familiar with your drill, and they think it will work, buying a battery or two to have a new auger setup sounds like a bargain!!!   I use the CLAM plate and my old "MORA" hand auger bit (FYI). 
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Milwaukee mudmixer and 12ah battery and Chuck pretty much any auger up ya want and pretty much drill all the holes ya want in one day.

You have one?

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I do.  Mainly use the 7" kdrill but have used my 10" Lazer pro with the 9ah.  The 12ah should add a lil more torque.  Also have the quick connect for the mudmixer just haven't replaced the keyed Chuck yet.
]

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2018, 07:41 AM »
Well I picked up the 6” Mira the other day and took it out on the ice just as a hand auger. I really do like this auger already! On 5” of ice it’s nice being light and simple. Just not sure at what point I’ll even need the drill. I’m guessing somewhere around 10” it’ll get old and I’ll have to pick the drill up. Definitely different getting used to the 6” coming from an 8. Had a good sized walleye and it definitely takes a little more finesse to turn the head. Easier to grab them out the hole though once they’re turned.

Offline WalleyeBird

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2018, 04:32 PM »
Bought the nimrod auger converter for the 6” mora today. Figured I’d at least try my little dewalt that I already have. Seems to cut well through the 6.5” of ice I’m sitting on now. Have cut 85” of ice in 30 degree weather so far. Went from 2 bars to 1 so far. I think I’ll definitely need a heftier setup though once the ice gets thick and it actually gets cold out. I think that’s when I’ll run into issue with the 2 ah batteries too.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 03, 2018, 12:52 PM »
I do.  Mainly use the 7" kdrill but have used my 10" Lazer pro with the 9ah.  The 12ah should add a lil more torque.  Also have the quick connect for the mudmixer just haven't replaced the keyed Chuck yet.

Sweet, I've yet to see anyone drilling 10 inch holes with a drill.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.