Author Topic: Snowmobile VS 4 Wheeler ?  (Read 4472 times)

Fishmon

Re: Snowmobile VS 4 Wheeler ?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:36 AM »
I fish mostly on Lake George during winter.  Hopefully it freezes up end to end this year.  I use a 4 wheeler Arctic Cat with  4 wheel drive and put chains on when necessary.  That will get me just about anywhere.  However, when we get those 18 inch snowstorms, there are a few days when the wheeler will get you nowhere until snow packs down.  The machine has about a foot of ground clearance.  Worst condition is slush under snow that is  crusted  over.  I have got stuck a few times when air temperature is zero or below and there is a  layer of slush on ice under the hard packed snow.  Not a lot of fun.  With experience you know where those areas are; usually near pressure ridges or where perch fishermen have Swiss cheesed the ice.  In those areas, the wheeler with chains on all 4 wheels and with differential in locked position will eat its way down to ice and move you forward or backward until you can get enough momentum to get going again.  LOL, I have pulled a few sleds out of a slush monster so it can work both ways.

In summary, I wait a few days until conditions are better after those big snow events.  Not a lot of fun out there on a sled or 4 wheeler fighting through the slush monster.

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2016, 07:43 AM »
Or if you just want to spend a bit of money you could do a 4 wheeler with tracks, spreads out the weight like a snowmobile, but has the advantages of a 4 wheeler.........
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 05, 2016, 02:21 PM »
What about a argo?  Me I would skip the snowmobile or atv or argo my self most fishing around here is with in walking distance .. by the way argos float.. and you can put snow tracks on them for snow ,soft trails etc. Etc

Offline skandikfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:59 PM »
Well up here in the north you need both, I run a Skandic wide track 550 fan cooled for lots of snow and a Kodiak Grizzly for the other times. Just do not want not be able to go on days off next is a Wolverine Side By side along with a 19.5 fishing boat for the summer, Dam im running out of room.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:41 PM »
On thin ice, a snowmobile MAY keep you dry.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:52 PM »
You know Joe that's a great question , if I was a betting man , they just haven't thought of how much revenue they are losing,  I'd have to check but I don't know if wheelers are allowed on the trails , I'm sure somebody here knows the scoop
  Far as sleds it would be easy just different colored stickers it isn't brain surgery 😜

Wheelers are not allowed on snowmobile trails in winter.

luv2fish2

« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:23 AM »
they have tried if i'm correct to bring legislation ( a couple times ) to have separate categories for vintage sleds and sportsmen registration it never passes so talk to your local senator and givem what for !  as for wheelers they are not allowed on snowmobile trail unless designated . oh yeah I've had them all I have a tracked wheeler and arctic cat bearcat and a ski doo alpine also have owned a six wheeler none do it all but bang for your buck a sled is most useable especially a long track utility with lower gearing and reverse . my do it all is the alpine (bogie wheels , fan cooled low range, reverse , estart and the most flotation on snow ) unless i'm traveling a long ways on ice then bearcat gets the nod , tracked wheelers are good but they throw major snow and slush , look on the post your ride thread  I got a pic of my buddy who got pulled behind mine 3 miles out on Chaumont I wasn't much better being on it , 6 wheelers even with tracks don't do well in deep snow not enough ground clearance belly pan hangs up on hard drifts . but like I said in earlier post it's all about money ( my vote goes sled hands down )

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2016, 05:57 AM »
they have tried if i'm correct to bring legislation ( a couple times ) to have separate categories for vintage sleds and sportsmen registration it never passes so talk to your local senator and givem what for !  as for wheelers they are not allowed on snowmobile trail unless designated . oh yeah I've had them all I have a tracked wheeler and arctic cat bearcat and a ski doo alpine also have owned a six wheeler none do it all but bang for your buck a sled is most useable especially a long track utility with lower gearing and reverse . my do it all is the alpine (bogie wheels , fan cooled low range, reverse , estart and the most flotation on snow ) unless i'm traveling a long ways on ice then bearcat gets the nod , tracked wheelers are good but they throw major snow and slush , look on the post your ride thread  I got a pic of my buddy who got pulled behind mine 3 miles out on Chaumont I wasn't much better being on it , 6 wheelers even with tracks don't do well in deep snow not enough ground clearance belly pan hangs up on hard drifts . but like I said in earlier post it's all about money ( my vote goes sled hands down )
I have been that route with trying to talk to senator and the like.  The bill you speak of has been tied up in Transportation for at least 5 years that I know of.  The last answer that I received from any of the senator people was that it will never happen because the state would loose money and the `clubs wouldn't like it.

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2016, 06:20 PM »
Anything is better than walking, I just got a snowmobile few years ago it was one of the best investment I ever made. I believe it all depends on where you fish. I Fish bays on the east side of lake Ontario, " tug hill area"  lots of snow.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2016, 05:39 AM »
I've had a wheeler on tracks for quite a few years.  Unstoppable, in my book.  Common sense goes a longs ways.  I see the advantages of both, sleds and ATVs.  Likely, if I were to start over I would go with one of the newer long track sleds and likely be happpier on the ice.
In fact,I been looking.  @)
On a tight budget, you can go a long ways on a used Polaris Indy 550.  Light weight, and if you take a little care, it will get you out and back without any problems.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.