Author Topic: SCORED my first (now Second) sled.  (Read 2666 times)

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
SCORED my first (now Second) sled.
« on: Aug 28, 2015, 09:03 PM »
Found a Craiglist 1995 Yamaha Vmax 500 it had ONLY 1,480 miles for $1,500.00.

The only thing that was broke was dead-battery for the electric start.  I will replace battery ;)

It started on the second pull start after sitting for the last few years!

This will come in handy when the SNOW & SLUSH is very deep.

SCORE :)

Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: SCORED my first sled.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2015, 09:09 PM »
right on!
watch the slush tho. eats belts for lunch.

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2015, 04:32 PM »
Lol ys always keep two spare belts.  Im a yamaha guy myself.   I have a 99 venture 600 tripple  for my fishing sled.    They maybe heavy but very reliable.   Check your lines and oil pump.  Itll run for 30 more years

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2015, 07:48 PM »
congrats on the score! Been thinkin about it myself but I'm still tossed on whether I should get a sled or a quad. Best of luck with it!

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2015, 08:16 PM »
congrats on the score! Been thinkin about it myself but I'm still tossed on whether I should get a sled or a quad. Best of luck with it!

Mr Spidy,

Yes it is a very tough decision...  I read "Every Thread in the Transportation Section".  I do live in a snow belt caused by Lake Effect Snows in my area.  My quad is a UTV 2006 Yamaha Rhino with Locking 4WD and Mudder Tires and will handle snow up to 18" and then add the SLUSH and even that quad / UTV can not handle it.

Honestly, the best you can get would be a 1000cc UTV with TRACKS...CHA CHING$$$, however that $1,500.00 Sled was more into my budget and the WIFEY says she want to ride it in the back 40 acres :) a WIN & WIN :).
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2015, 05:26 PM »
Yep, the thing is I would only have room for one and we usually don't get enough snow to keep a good quad down. A sled would be better in the snow and ice fer sure and fer certain. But, there's a lot of warm months too, and a quad would be a year round transport. If I was a bit farther North it would be a sled hands down. The thing that I've been noticing is that $1500 will get a better used sled than a used quad.

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Yep, the thing is I would only have room for one and we usually don't get enough snow to keep a good quad down. A sled would be better in the snow and ice fer sure and fer certain. But, there's a lot of warm months too, and a quad would be a year round transport. If I was a bit farther North it would be a sled hands down. The thing that I've been noticing is that $1500 will get a better used sled than a used quad.

Excellent Point you make above:

Yeah the Quad gets used all 12 months and the sled gets used (maybe) 3 months which is 1/4th of a year... so the expense ratio should be about 4 to 1, so a $1,500 Sled equals about $6,000 quad (ROUGH & FUZZY MATH) :)

Bless
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2015, 05:22 PM »
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y521/EEThoreson/IMG_20151004_150550865_HDR_zpsab51upi4.jpg

I also scored my first sled. It will be a back up to the ATV when the snow is too deep. Looking forward to a few trail rides too!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2015, 09:29 AM »
congrats on your yamy! that thing will last you forever! best brand for durability in my opinion. friend of mine has a 89' xlv w 12000 mi. and still going!

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2015, 10:21 AM »
  NICE score indeed ! :thumbsup:

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2016, 09:21 PM »
SCORE number 2

Found a TWIN... Another 1995 Yamie 500 V-max, this time 3,400 miles for $900.00  Will need new Ski Skins and Carbides, oreder those from Dennis Kirk another $75.

Have to get those installed sooner than later.

This one will be more for the wife and her friends.

Cheers and here is to a Great 2016-17 season.  Blessing my friends
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline chummyhole

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: SCORED my first (now Second) sled.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:06 PM »
Always nice to have a back up.     Walking in the conditions we fish in doesnt get easyer

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: SCORED my first (now Second) sled.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2016, 05:08 PM »
excuse me while I cry never had anything other than manual mode

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.