Author Topic: Anyone use an argo for ice fishing?  (Read 20760 times)

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
Re: Anyone use an argo for ice fishing?
« Reply #30 on: Oct 09, 2016, 09:02 AM »
I like to fish Saginaw Bay when I can. Usually a lot of sketchy pressure cracks, sometimes 6' wide. It's nice just to blow right over/through them. Lets hope this season is a great one as far as the weather goes.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 09, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Whats the weight on something like that?

Offline WestSideAl8x8

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pants up, don't loot!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 09, 2016, 02:49 PM »
Manufacturer says it's 1,410 dry. I figure with all my gear and someone with me it's close to 2,200 fully loaded. With the tracks on it, it applies 0.67 psi and even without the tracks it's only 1.7 psi (empty). If a person weighs 200 lbs, their applied pressure is 0.98 psi.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Oct 15, 2016, 12:39 AM »
I bought an argo last year and I don't think I will ever be without one as long as I live in Alaska.  What a rig!!!  First trip was a moose hunt and it swam a few river sections on the way in and hauled a moose out swimming the same areas easier with a load.  The engine is in front, making it front heavy and this is why people are best of backing into water unless it is shallow and gradually gets deeper.  With a moose in the back it takes the weight of the front end and floats better.  I used it for ice fishing last winter and it hauled the new shack no problem.  I'm guessing the shack is around 3000lbs 10x16... and the argo doesn't even grunt.  Dog loves it and wife and kids stay warm, its a win win ;)  Easy sell to the wife for ya when you tell her she can ride in a heated cab to the shack.  It is slow, but much faster than walking because you are not taking wheelers or side by sides where it will go when hunting wet areas.  If I plan on covering a bunch of area on the ice, then I usually take the snow machine, because the argo is a rougher and slower ride.

If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Offline augergas

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I know a guy who has one with a full cab enclosure and tracks. I think tracks are almost mandatory for snow. It is a nice machine that can carry a ton of gear. They spread the weight out well so you can run on some thin ice, not to mention, you don't have to worry about it going to the bottom if you do break through.

Downsides; it is really big, need a large trailer and it is slow... really slow.

Offline jiggenfrogs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:26 PM »
It is slow, but a two place 12' trailer has hauled it for 10 years no problem.  It takes the place of two sleds...I just hauled a buddy my daughter, two dogs and gear in the back and its warm.  They are the perfect rig for Alaska IMO.
If you wantah be a fishah you gotah smoke a swishah!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.