The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp  (Read 53728 times)

Offline FREEP82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 617 STRONG
Re: jiffy ice auger repair model 30 3hp
« Reply #60 on: Feb 04, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Mine did it for 2 years, I won an auger toss one morning at a derby.....Now its a lawn ornament

Offline bluegrass146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:32 PM »
I bought a 2011 Jiffy STX Pro II  3HP, I have nothing good to say about it.
Extremely hard to start, bog, stall.
Had the craburator & fuel cap replaced, starts OK & still runs like crap, bog, stall, can't set idle properly, idle too fast then idle too slow.
I really Hate it!
China scrap

Offline ice warrior

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:48 PM »
try running one once of sea foam to one gallon of gas cleans the heck outa the carb allso has stable in it good luck I run it every season in mine @)

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:25 PM »
i've got a jiffy/30... the previous owner had the carb replaced with one which has all metal internal components, told me the original carb has got plastic adjustment screws which deteriorate over time if the auger isn't stored properly during the summer months. what happens is while drilling, as soon as my auger hits the power band it falls on it's face...i have to drill slow and steady.guessing it's just a carb adjustment, but it stills beats the hell outta chiseling!!
-i'm hesitant to mess with the needle, my brother-in-law messed with his and it's never been the same!

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 PM »
The carbs all have almost all metal internals with nylon or whatever needle seats.  if no stabilizer used, the needle will stick with the junk ethanol gas. 

If it's running, but not running well, it's the carb adjustment.  It's very easy to adjust.  A few minor turns of the two screws will make the thing cut better than any auger you can buy for 600 or more right now off the shelf, no word of a lie.  It's so damn easy to make these things sing it's not even funny.  If you can't make the 30 sing, then yes, it's a POS auger, you're right.  I'll be a pal and take it off your hands for 75 bucks :}

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:25 PM »
the needle screws themselves are plastic.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:37 PM »
On a model 30?  Mine a metal....sure you're not referring to the plastic caps on the screws?

Offline Crazy-Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 18, 2013, 05:04 AM »
If it was that easy,everyone would do it!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #68 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:53 AM »
i've got a jiffy/30... the previous owner had the carb replaced with one which has all metal internal components, told me the original carb has got plastic adjustment screws which deteriorate over time if the auger isn't stored properly during the summer months. what happens is while drilling, as soon as my auger hits the power band it falls on it's face...i have to drill slow and steady.guessing it's just a carb adjustment, but it stills beats the hell outta chiseling!!
-i'm hesitant to mess with the needle, my brother-in-law messed with his and it's never been the same!
Here is my take on it, for what it may be worth... depending on the age, it may not have an OEM carb on that thing, or at a minimum, it was not rebuilt with OEM parts. Got pics? if its an older auger, it should have a walbro carburator. If its a new 30, it may not be - just dont know about the newer ones. (ok, so if it has the limited 'plastic' adjusters it's a newer one, and as XJMA states, it's just the cap that's plastic.) I doubt it has plastic jets and if it does, rebuild the carb with an OEM kit.. Use ALL the parts in the kit! One thing that is critically important to these carbs, is because the journals are so small, when you tear them down, they need to soak (submerged) in parts cleaner at least overnight  (you can buy a gallon with the basket at any auto store). By simply tearing them down and "blowing them out", it's not enough. while your at it, flush the tank. There is a little screen in the tank where the line exits it. douch the tank with brake cleaner and spray through the line connector as well.

If all this is done (and yes, it's a risk) and the thing still runs like crap and you can't get good hi/lo adjustments out of it, then the journals are actually corroded (the result of water in the ethenol) and you should take all the rebuild parts out, put them on the shelf, and go buy a new walbro carb... they are not that bad, around 50 bucks.

75 bucks XJ?  really?  I'll up that bid in a heart beat  ;D

Big scott, I don't know where you live, but I'd be happy to dial this thing in for you, for the cost of parts, and a nice SM scotch to drink while doing it!   ;D
Only condition is, I need it for the time it takes to get the parts...once parts are in, it can be done in a couple days... (need 24 hours just to soak if it's a rebuild).
Sounds like your ok with it the way it is for the season... so... at Ice out time, talk to me...

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!   ;)

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:26 AM »
my jiffy 3 hp is 11 years old run it a little lean and run it dry at the end of the season starts first pull 95% of the time i think i changed the plug once.I wouldn't trade it for anything

Offline Tripwire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:18 AM »
My jiffy 30 was doing the same thing Last week.  I just replaced the diaphram and gasket, the needle and seat, and high and low speed needle orings.  I got it all in one kit at Norfolk Power Equipment in Wrentham.  All that stuff comes in the kit plus welch plugs for other orifices which I didnt bother with.  Once all the parts were removed I blasted everything out with carb cleaner and then reassembled.  Ligthtly seated both high and low speed needles.  Backed out low speed (left) 1.25 turns.  Backed out high speed (right) 3/4 turn.

Fired her up with fresh gas/oil mix.  needed to back both screws out about another 1/4 to get her to respond well.  high speed adjust is for transition between idle and full throttle.  Bring flat blade screw driver out on ice for final adjust.  low speed adjust is not instantaneous so small increments and wait for response.  Mine runs like a champ now.

Good luck.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #71 on: Jan 18, 2013, 09:41 AM »
My jiffy 30 was doing the same thing Last week.  I just replaced the diaphram and gasket, the needle and seat, and high and low speed needle orings.  I got it all in one kit at Norfolk Power Equipment in Wrentham.  All that stuff comes in the kit plus welch plugs for other orifices which I didnt bother with.  Once all the parts were removed I blasted everything out with carb cleaner and then reassembled.  Ligthtly seated both high and low speed needles.  Backed out low speed (left) 1.25 turns.  Backed out high speed (right) 3/4 turn.

Fired her up with fresh gas/oil mix.  needed to back both screws out about another 1/4 to get her to respond well.  high speed adjust is for transition between idle and full throttle.  Bring flat blade screw driver out on ice for final adjust.  low speed adjust is not instantaneous so small increments and wait for response.  Mine runs like a champ now.

Good luck.
That's it!  good job man...

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:27 PM »
i can fix it for ya if you still have problems. cost ya a 12 pack bud bottles.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:29 PM »
i can fix it for ya if you still have problems. cost ya a 12 pack bud bottles.

Oh man, but i only have an 18 pack of cans....

Offline big scott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 18, 2013, 03:07 PM »
the adjustment screws and diapragm cover on the old one are plastic, the replacement is all metal.....

.........it dies out soon after the "power band" kicks in, i'm guessing that would be the high speed adjustment?

Offline Jasebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Hello,
First post on here. 
Anyway I'm in need of a new carb for my older model 30 and I see I can get a Tecumseh carb for it. Is there a Walbro carb that is available also, if so what is the part #? The carb that is on it now is a Tecumseh and only has one screw adjustment and it's giving me problems. The Tecumseh motor model # is AV520-670116J. Thanks for the info!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it was easy they would call it catching
« Reply #76 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:08 PM »
Hey before you go and replace the carb what exactly is it doing?  You might be able to fix it without having to replace the carb.
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 30, 2013, 03:49 PM »
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/tecumseh/114323/2281    see if this helps ,,,,but if I understand ya it sounds like its just a high speed jet adjustment. try to get it running and turn the high speed mixture screw in till it comes up to speed

Offline dartonpro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:09 PM »
There s a guy On New England fish has model 30 auger for parts look in classified section only missing gas tank. Or buy rebuild kit from lawn and tractor shop

Offline Jasebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:43 PM »
Can't get it to idle, and it seems like it is under powered. The only adjustment is on the low side. It has a high end port and is marked with an "H" but it is blocked off (not threaded etc). It has a new carb kit in it. Thanks for the responses!

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:06 PM »
Sent you a pm
It is MY responsibility to make sure my children can enjoy fishing years from now. Make sure your kids can fish.  If you see something ILLEGAL Contact the Massachusetts Environmental Police Radio Room at 1-800-632-8075 at any hour of the day. They might show up if there is enough staff working.

Offline Jasebear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Yeah it won't let me reply to your pm for some reason. Using Ams oil Saber 24:1. Carb has been cleaned. It runs, hit the throttle and can get it up to top speed and then slowly dies.

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:14 PM »
did you open the valve on the gas cap?

Offline ALMA0930

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:22 PM »
24:1 mix is very rich, how old is the engine ?  on a lot of the newer small engines they put a limiter on the high speed mixture screw so you cant lean it out too much and burn a piston but that looks pretty old. I,m guessing 70's ?

Offline MrE1979

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Dec 30, 2013, 05:26 PM »
24:1 mix is very rich, how old is the engine ?  on a lot of the newer small engines they put a limiter on the high speed mixture screw so you cant lean it out too much and burn a piston but that looks pretty old. I,m guessing 70's ?

the amsoil saber is a synthetic oil.  i run my older model 30 at 100:1 and she runs better than ever

Offline swampa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bring on the trout
« Reply #85 on: Jan 02, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I had the same problem and all it needed was a new diaphram pump,but i rebuilt the whole carb with all the parts that came in the kit pay strick attention to the way you take the carb apart especially the pump and gasket they have to be put back in the right order or it will do the same thing, good luck

Offline icefisher4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 15, 2014, 02:42 PM »
I have an older jiffy. Model 30. Wondering if there is another muffler for it. Its got the exhaust cap deal but it doesn't help with noise. Cant find anything on the internet.

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Dec 15, 2014, 03:07 PM »
See if you can keep it running by nudging the primer.   Probably just a bad diaphragm (pump).   They pump via compression sucking on that thin rubber.   That rubber diaphragm can dry out and crack over time.

Offline magnum44270

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 03, 2015, 12:38 PM »
I've used the search and cannot find anything on adjusting a jiffy 30 carb... I just rebuilt the carb with a kit, after it sat for 8 years. Got tips on adjustment from other sites and got it back up and running. New gas, seafoam, proper oil mix, new plug... Ive got the idle (low/left needle) good but cannot get it to transfer over to high speed with out bogging at first...or can get it to switch over but bogs after about 5 seconds and with load? any tips or tricks

Offline Crazy Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 04, 2015, 04:37 AM »
I repair ice augers ,reasonable and quick.Located in Granby,Ma
Joe
413-539-3344
"If it was that was, everyone would do it"

MA Anglers.com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com