Author Topic: Perch Jigging Rod Suggestions  (Read 6504 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perch Jigging Rod Suggestions
« on: Nov 21, 2020, 04:56 PM »
I’m looking bat pulling the trigger on a good jigging rod this year. I always target perch. Mostly jigging with Hali spoons or similar sometimes with tungsten. What’s everyone’s go to rod? I have been looking at TUCR Bull whip and a local guy makes some nice 30” power noodles.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Perch Jigging Rod Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:52 PM »
I just ordered a power noodle and a perch rod from bass khang, hoping they're very sensitive for the light panfish bites

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2020, 07:50 PM »
I prefer graphite type of rods with their fast action and load.  For the most part I like to use my Thorne Bros. Panfish Sweetheart and Perch Sweetheart rods.  Between the two rods I will still start with the Panfish Sweetheart first. 

Before that, I was a St. Croix fanboy and I used a lot of the St. Croix ice rods I like the ML in 28 inches as it seems to be quite versatile.  The current model would a Mojo Ice rod.  This year's cosmetic touch is an unpainted dark grey rod and black synthetic grips.  They look really nice but there's nothing wrong with my old Premiere Ice and old purple blood Mojo Ice rods.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2021, 09:32 AM »
id vote 36l st criox mojo ice, really like that one. new addition is the 39inch light tickle stick from 13 fishing....lots of sensitivity and backbone in case you smack into a hog
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:54 AM »
I just ordered a power noodle and a perch rod from bass khang, hoping they're very sensitive for the light panfish bites
The pan fish carbon is the in between of these two that has become my new favorite blank!

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2021, 10:57 AM »
The pan fish carbon is the in between of these two that has become my new favorite blank!

I'll have give one a try, think it was one I wanted but they were out of them.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2022, 12:59 PM »
JT Gold Digger 34"

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2022, 08:06 AM »
42” light Elliot evolution, if you want shorter, the 32” paragon is a nice rod too.

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2022, 06:12 PM »
I fish perch in deep water normally, usually use some type of spoon with a dropper chain, sometimes downsize to a tungsten jig and plastic or upsize to a jigging rap. I dont feel there is any 1 rod that will work for all 3 styles. for anything heavier than a tungsten 5mm and plastic, my favorite rod is the TUCR Fusion with the JT Customs Shiver Stick just behind it. If using smaller tungsten jigs/plastics, the TUCR Bullwhip or Prec Noodle or JT Rouge will work as well.

I was not a fan of using the bullwhip for 1/8oz baits, 1/16oz was fine. I may be the minority but I wasnt a fan of the Bullwhip overall. The tip was great, but once it hit the backboard it was stiff as a board, I prefer the Precision Noodle from TUCR or the JT Customs Rogue when it comes to noodle rods

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2022, 08:46 PM »
I like my Fusion a lot as well.  Also a big fan of the Mojo Ice. 

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2022, 10:12 AM »
you can use alot of rods for perch...depends on a few factors....shallow/deep....inside/outside....+32F or below freezing....lure weights, etc.

for an all around perch rod, my absolute favorite is a sportsman's direct 34" extreme taper glass blank.  it's too long for most flipovers, but you could cut it down.  i like the extra length when fishing outside.  now is the perfect time to build your own.  and the blanks are cheap!  $5??  can make them as fancy or simple as you like.  personally, i like simple...and the fish don't care how good the rod looks.  Read a few posts on here how to wrap an ice rod, watch a couple YT vids, + give it a shot.

that rod has the perfect blend of backbone & soft tip...and once hooked, the fish have a very hard time shaking off b/c it's glass.  i mostly run fireline crystal to a fluoro leader on that rod.  the superline helps w/ sensitivity which slips a little w/ glass.  it's still the best that I've found - esp. for the price.

if you didn't want to go that route, my 2nd suggestion would be a noodle rod.  any commercial vendor is fine (noodle rods are a pain to build).  most are short, so they work well in a shack or flipover.  the biggest drawback w/ most of them is that guides are small - so they ice up fast.  try to get 1 with bigger than average guides.  they also break easily, so make sure to get a case + loosen the drag before storing.

almost any rod will work for perch when the bite is hot.  heck, i had a couple older guys school me fishing dowels wrapped w/ 20 lb mono + big swedish pimple w/ a perch eye for bait.  i think that's the only lure they owned.  they were old school & didn't want to spend 1 extra penny on fishing gear.  so a short length of leftover dowel & they'd watch their kinked up mono to see the kinks move to signal a bite....it worked extremely well (but only when the bite was hot)   ;D

now here's the twist....when the bite was tough, they struggled mightly - but a noodle rod shined.  2 lb test, noodle rod, tiny tungsten + spike....you'll be catching perch (& other panfish) when everybody else on the ice is frustrated.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2022, 06:41 PM »
JT Panhandler w/spring bobber. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.