Author Topic: Glow Paint  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Heartland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoying The Great Outdoors in America's Heartland
Glow Paint
« on: Jan 03, 2004, 05:39 PM »
Can anyone tell me of a good quality glow paint that can be used on ice jigs AND as a dip for the hooks on my regular lures?
Also, can you recommend a good flasher?
Thanks!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re:Glow Paint
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2004, 06:23 PM »
Go to,
www.jannsnetcraft.com
Be sure to apply a base coat of white first. A bottle of thinner is a good idea also.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2004, 02:49 AM »
rgfixit is right on the money!  You can also use Protec powder paints as another option?  They are applied by heating your jig to "HOT" not melting.  Proceed by dipping them in the powder and heating them again, (this is to seal the final product.)  In less than 2 minutes it's ready to fish!  Use either a propane torch or an oven to apply these powder paints.  You could probably use a bic lighter in a pinch. The finished product is hard as nails!  Oh yeah, use a base coat of white or green powder, and follow it up with the glo powder.  Cabelas has them.  ;)
   Let me beat the "safety conscience crowd" to the punch by stating;
1. You should always operate a blow torch with the supervision of an adult
2. Don't operate in a closet or other closed quarters
3. Never operate an oven or torch when extremely intoxicated without your kids supervision
4. Heating lead even when not molten will probably still make you stupid, so don't breath
5. Don't lick the final product leave that to your dog he'll never know he drinks out of the toilet anyways
6. Did I mention that the final product is hot?  Use protection.... leather gloves not latex!
I seem to draw the safety critics out of the woodwork, usually for things that Charles Darwin would deem common knowledge. :-\
Heartland, Hope I didn't make your choice to stick with hand paints a dizzying one?  It's really not that bad... or is it? ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2004, 04:47 AM »
Barleydog,
You dangerous man you! You want to see safety critics and Darwinesque customers? I work in a gun shop!

Jann's also sells the powder coat. It's a great alternative for a little extra effort.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Heartland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoying The Great Outdoors in America's Heartland
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2004, 06:49 AM »
Excellent advice. Thanks!
Now to experiment with colors.......
 ;)

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2004, 09:49 AM »
I paint and powder coat jigs. Both of these methods work well Janns i belive is the best source for the Powder coat colors but I like the protec glow powder.  I use a alcohol lamp to heat the jigs before I dip them in the powder. Then you must bake the jigs at 300 for 20 mins to harden them this is an important step don't leave it out!  Be careful when heating the jig it will melt!  Just get it hot, dip into powder, pass quickly through flame again to make paint "flow",  let cool and bake. I've got about 25 jigs I'm going to bake this afternoon. You can get most of the things you need at Janns  (powder paint,alcohol lamp) You can get the protec glow powder from cabelas.  You can get the vinyl paint at most bait shops, as said before clean jigs in thinner or alcohol, base coat white then apply the glow and let dry I like to clear coat mine too!
Good luck
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.