The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Pics of your catches  (Read 117815 times)

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pics of your catches
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:54 PM »
Hey Guys,
   I don't spear, but it sure does intrigue me. I would love to try it someday. Please post some pictures of your catches, I would love to see what you guys do!!  :thumbsup:
Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: Pics of your catches
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:35 PM »
Not a good picture (sorry). This is one I got last year it's not a huge one but it's decent
(32" & 11lbs)

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 10:34 PM »

"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline DonW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 07:54 AM »
Nice fish Fellas!! :thumbsup:

Tight Lines,
DonW

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:29 PM »

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Here fishy ...fishy..."
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2008, 05:26 PM »
Just catchin on how to post pics, See what happens

\"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy\"___Benjamin Franklin
Fish each time as though it were your last...for one time, it will be.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2008, 06:43 PM »
Just catchin on how to post pics, See what happens

Nice Fish, hey is that rod what you use for your decoys cause if it is than maybe you should try and put a few trebles on there for the ones that grab the decoys  :laugh: " if you can't spear em than fish em"  :woot:

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2008, 09:16 PM »
Nice Fish, hey is that rod what you use for your decoys cause if it is than maybe you should try and put a few trebles on there for the ones that grab the decoys  :laugh: " if you can't spear em than fish em"  :woot:
Yes, I use the rod to work the deke.  I've been trying to make a decoy with hooks for a while now, with limited success.  Hard to make one where metal fins don't get in the way of a clean hook-up.  Am still workin on it tho, as it's legal to use hooks in Alaska while spearing.  I also have a spoon with a herring on it nearby, either in the hole, or ready to drop down in case of a smash, grab, and run.  Sometimes I've been able to coax 'em back in with the herring, and drop the spear, and a couple times, hook 'em and reel 'em in.  Like ya said, double jeapordy.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2008, 10:15 PM »
nice pike there guys!

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:12 AM »
Just thought this was kinda interesting, and goes a way toward proving my theory pike don't know how big they are, and will try to eat anything they think they can catch,  this one was taken with 10 or so others all about the same size.  We were thinking they were all about the same size because they'd gotten big enough that they couldn't eat each other anymore, but I guess it doesn't mean they won't try :o.....

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:22 PM »
what is the closest state to Maine that you can spear pike.. This is way better then setting traps.
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:34 PM »
what is the closest state to Maine that you can spear pike.. This is way better then setting traps.

This question was asked last year also:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=79216.0

Some states do not allow spearing for pike, but you are allowed to spear "trash fish".  Check w/ your local Department of Fish and Game, they can steer you in the right direction.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2009, 07:04 PM »

Sorry but I can't find a state near you that allows Spearing in the winter, But I will still keep looking for ya.

I did find this:
http://www.apnmag.com/spring_2005/vermontpikeshooting.htm
GET OUT YOUR GUN  :laugh:

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2009, 11:36 AM »

Looks like the spear is leathal enough, how many do ya need? :cookoo:
Bruster

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2009, 11:52 AM »
The mess of fish in the picture were taken from a lake in South-Central Alaska, where they are non-native, and were illegally introduced.  There is no limit on pike there and ADF&G encourages removal of as many as possible, but they must be used and not wasted.  They are discussing rotenone as a measure to reduce non-native populations, and already have used it on some lakes in the Anchorage Metro area, now that is a waste.  I can assure you, all of the fish pictured were enjoyed after being dipped in beer batter and a hot oil bath :)   

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:20 PM »

Guess you've never dozed off and woke up just as a pike was nailing your decoy and taking off like a bullet, never to be seen again, lol.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Guess you've never dozed off and woke up just as a pike was nailing your decoy and taking off like a bullet, never to be seen again, lol.

I'm pretty sure I have as many hours looking thru the ice as anyone here. My point is, 12 fish in one outing, I just don't think you need to augment the decoy with hooks to snag a few more. You're in target rich water where a spear alone will get you more fish than you could ever need.
Bruster

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure I have as many hours looking thru the ice as anyone here. My point is, 12 fish in one outing, I just don't think you need to augment the decoy with hooks to snag a few more. You're in target rich water where a spear alone will get you more fish than you could ever need.

Here in South Central Alaska pike are not native and were introduced illegally.  Alaska Fish and Game wants them eradicated from all the lakes before they wipe out the native fish, mostly salmon, polulations.  So here we consider a dozen pike just a "good start".
Here's a link that talks about the problem pike:
http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Statewide/InvasiveSpecies/index.cfm/FA/pike.about

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2009, 12:18 AM »

I'm pretty sure I have as many hours looking thru the ice as anyone here. My point is, 12 fish in one outing, I just don't think you need to augment the decoy with hooks to snag a few more.

How would that be snagging  :-\  If the fish hits the decoy then it's pretty much just like fishing with a hook and line  ;)2 It makes more sense to have hooks than not have hooks but it is true that most decoys don't have hooks but that's only because the line is normally not connected to a fishing pole but in this case the decoy is on a fishing pole line so WHY NOT  ???

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:40 AM »
I vote for hooks on the decoy :woot: :woot:

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2009, 07:57 AM »
How would that be snagging  :-\  If the fish hits the decoy then it's pretty much just like fishing with a hook and line  ;)2 It makes more sense to have hooks than not have hooks but it is true that most decoys don't have hooks but that's only because the line is normally not connected to a fishing pole but in this case the decoy is on a fishing pole line so WHY NOT  ???

You guys get pretty wound up when someone says something here that you don't agree with or don't take the time to read the post close enough to understand the point. Bigporchmonkey said he didn't think spearing was the sport and disagreed with it. You guys (especially you Higgans) contribuited to a 4 pages of argument among yourselves defending the sport and hammering him. Let it go, it's just his opinion.

I said "Looks like the spear is leathal enough, how many do ya need?" 12 pike in 1 outing is a lot of fish. If you get 12 in a day, you are probably going get as many as you could ever need on almost any day. Let it go...

Bruster

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Hey Guys,  didn't mean to start a ruckus!  I have to admit, in all the years I've been staring down the hole, I'd never seen more than 4 in one day, before or since.  True, the spear was lethal enough that day.  My obsession with a hooked decoy goes back to the days of my youth in Minnesota, when hooked decoys were unlawful, and I spent many a day frustrated by the "smash & runs" and never got a shot.  Again, I can assure you, though some fish were harmed in the making of this picture, none were wasted.  So no hard feelings eh?
  This thread is about pics of fish, so back on topic: A 10.5lber (The only one I saw that day  :))

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Yeah this could go on and on.  If you don't want hooks on your decoy, that's fine, don't put them on there.  If you do want them, more power to you.  To each his own.
This thread is about pics of fish, so back on topic: A 10.5lber (The only one I saw that day  :))

Exactly!! 
A few years ago in MT.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2009, 02:55 PM »
You guys get pretty wound up when someone says something here that you don't agree with or don't take the time to read the post close enough to understand the point. Bigporchmonkey said he didn't think spearing was the sport and disagreed with it. You guys (especially you Higgans) contribuited to a 4 pages of argument among yourselves defending the sport and hammering him. Let it go, it's just his opinion.

I said "Looks like the spear is leathal enough, how many do ya need?" 12 pike in 1 outing is a lot of fish. If you get 12 in a day, you are probably going get as many as you could ever need on almost any day. Let it go...

No big deal here.........I'm letting it go  ;)2

My dad just got a nice 28"er today and it had some extras in it that where still a live flopping around on the table  :laugh:

I will post a pic of the pike later

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:53 AM »
Made it out today, Darkhouse Jr. went with Mrs Darkhouse to play with some of his friends so I had the shack all to myself.  Felt weird to talk to myself without hearing, "Daddy who you talking to?" 
Got this one, only about 24 inches long, but it was real fat....and delicious.  ;D

Hey Rezeye, what do ya think of this shot?  ;D

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:21 PM »
 :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 08, 2009, 02:02 AM »
Darkhousefisher Jr. and I made it out again today.  Got this one, just shy of 30".

Offline B.K.G.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:08 PM »
Nice looking fish :thumbsup:

Offline BuschWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Darkhousefisher Jr. and I made it out again today.  Got this one, just shy of 30".
Man!!! Your Misses lets you put them slimers in the kitchen sink??? :bow: :bow:, can I come over to your house to clean mine?? :whistle: :roflmao:  Nice!! :clap:

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 09, 2009, 12:18 AM »
Man!!! Your Misses lets you put them slimers in the kitchen sink??? :bow: :bow:, can I come over to your house to clean mine?? :whistle: :roflmao:  Nice!! :clap:

Either she gets to clean them in the kitchen or she has to clean them outside,  ;DI sure hope she never reads this..... :whistle: :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.