Author Topic: I can't find the lakers!  (Read 4106 times)

tj52

I can't find the lakers!
« on: Jan 10, 2003, 06:16 PM »
The lake were i fish has lake trout in it, but nobody ever tries to catch them.  The fish and game stock the lake trout about 15 years ago and no one has ever really tried to find them.  I think that they are still there but i can't find them.  I have tried different depts any were from 40 feet to 120 feet deep with rocks at the bottem.  I have never fished for lake trout threw the ice before and i don't even know if i am doing it the right way.  I have been useing tipups with minnows.  I know there are other ways i just don't know of any.

Offline TJC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LAKER TAKER
Re: I can't find the lakers!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2003, 07:05 PM »
IF YOU CAN USE SMELT THEY LOVE SMELT. ALSO TRY A LITTLE SHALLOWER, I HAVE CAUGHT LAKERS IN AS CLOSE AS 15 FT. HEARD OF THEM BEING CAUGHT EVEN SHALOWER. ALSO TRY DIFFERENT DEPTHS, I ACTUALLY FISH MOSTLY ABOUT 15FT DOWN. NEVER HAD GOOD LUCK FISHING OFF THE BOTTOM. WHAT LAKE IS THIS I HAVE SOME DEC LITERATURE THAT TELLS WHAT FISH ARE LOCATED IN LAKES?

Ice_Dog

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2003, 04:23 PM »
Smelt are the way to go I have been using smelt as long as I have been fishing for Lakers.  I usally catch fish every time I go.  I fish about six to eight feet off the bottom in about 60 feet of water.  I have heard of people catching lake trout in about 10 feet of water, but they are few and far between.  You will find that you will have much better luck if you were in about 60 feet of water with a smelt on the end of your line. :o

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2003, 06:21 AM »
I find that to be true here in western Canada ice dog. I fish in a lake that is 305ft deep & my best depths for lakers is from 50 - 70 ft. I have not tried smelt because it is illegal here. I use a jig with white exude tube. Good luck. ;D ;D

Offline Smelt1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Run with the big dawgs,or stay on the porch!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2003, 08:05 AM »
Tip-up size suckers are best for lakers.We also use cut up sucker to chum the hole to bring the lakers in.All I usally do is bounce a yellow and red buctail jig baited with a strip of sucker on it off of the bottom in 50' of water and will usally catch between 6-10 lakers a day.
Bubba  

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2003, 07:10 AM »
In Lake Champlain I use dead smelt on the bottom and have always caught large lakers.

Tip- dont use any sinkers on the line and make sure to gently squeeze the air out of smelt so it will sink.

I fish anywhere from 4' to 90' depths and caught em.

Good Luck and Fish On!!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2003, 11:41 AM »
Get a nice jigging outfit, some airplane jigs, pimples, tubes, regular lead heads, and drill lots of holes both shallow and deep and jig 'em up! All trout can go anywhere they want in the cold, some may be 10' down in a hundred feet of water and some will be right under your feet as soon as you step on the ice.

Dan_DAN_the_fisher

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2003, 07:32 PM »
In Colorado I use 2" to 4" glow white tube jigs with a 1" to  2" strip of sucker meat. I catch most of them within a foot of the bottom in 20-50 feet of water. A good flasher is a definate "+". Let all the way down to the bottom and let it sit 30 seconds or so. Then slowly and steadily raise it up 3ft or more and see if one follows you off the bottom. If not drop back down and pound the bottom 4or5 times and let it sit again. Then repeat the slow rise. This is how I knock them dead out here. Hope it helps elsewhere.
                                                                  Dan

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2003, 02:01 PM »
our main line of attack is smelt rigged with english hooks ( 2 and 4's) and vary the tip up depth from bottom to under the ice.

push a nail into the smelt to make it ride right and sink.

then in the jig holes we use swedes and a chunk, or airplanes and bait, or a jig head with the pecs and belly of a large smelt bounced right on bottom.

in the days before tip ups grandpa and the boys would bounce the bottom with their tarred lines and then raise them a 'reel', whoever hit fish  first would sing out " nine reels " or whatever number of reels from bottom they were at when struck.

we do the same pretty much today as tip ups are illegal here except we can no longer Laker fish on our lake, so apply it to pike and perch and act surprised when Lakers hit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.