Author Topic: What Brand/Size of Flouro?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Squall

• IceShanty Rookie
What Brand/Size of Flouro?
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:40 AM »
I hear alot about people using flourocarbon for pike from 20-50 lb test.  I wanted to give it a shot and i will be heading down to dick's tomorow night to grab some new line to make leaders.  I have been ice fishing for years but this is my 1st time going exclusivly for pike.  I will try 10" dead smelt (if i can find any) on the bottom and some live shinners too.

I'm thinking of going with 30-40 lb line but not sure what to use and not exactly sure what size/brand to use.

Offline RedWolfUSAF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What Brand/Size of Flouro?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:00 AM »
The heavier stuff can make it difficult to tie knots...I use 12# and 20# with success.  I don't fear catching many 20+ lb Northerns where I fish so I'm comfortable that I can handle anything I might hook.  If I was to need more, I think I'd opt for steel...JMO
Don't Stand Outside too long......

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:18 PM »
I like the Berkley Vanish Floro in 30 lb test for my pike leaders

Offline Squall

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:40 PM »
coldbum have you lost many fish with it and have you caught many big fish with it?

Thank you for your input

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I like Stren High Impact or P - Line Fluorocarbon leader in 15 - 20 pound test. We hardly ever get bit off and we tangle with 10 - 20 pound pike all the time. Heavier fluoro is too cumbersome and thick to be natural.
Do not use Vanish. It is weak and brittle compared to other better fluorocarbons.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:44 PM »
I like Stren High Impact or P - Line Fluorocarbon leader in 15 - 20 pound test. We hardly ever get bit off and we tangle with 10 - 20 pound pike all the time. Heavier fluoro is too cumbersome and thick to be natural.
Do not use Vanish. It is weak and brittle compared to other better fluorocarbons.
Heavier floro than 20# can work ice, although 20# is what I've been using primarily this year. The floro just has to be a bit thinner diameter than usual.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Stay away from Vanish.  Try Seagar.  I use 15 lb. Seagar on Lake Ontario and it is the only thing that will hold up to 30+ lb. king salmon.  Seagar is more abrasion resistant that Vanish or Stren.  I have tried Vanish, P-line, Ande, and Stren florocarbon and Seagar is the best by far.  Seagar is a little more expensive but well worth the money.  The have it in the Cabela's saltwater catalog.  Last season I iced many large pike 36" - 41" without any break offs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.