New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice List: First and Last  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice List: First and Last
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:30 AM »
      Has there ever been a 'List' of lake that freeze first and stay frozen last? It could be interesting, and might serve to help schedule the season somewhat. I don't know how,(or am too lazy), to do it from what we have in the IS archives.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice List: First and Last
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:35 AM »
Mile Arm Bay on Black Lake usually sets up enough to fish on by the 2nd weekend in December....although some years it is ready to drive on December 1st..........
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2006, 12:17 PM »
      Thanks E.S.  That's kind of what I was referring to. If the archives have enough time/information so's someoe could make make a curve, I'd like to see a 'Zone' map showing aproximate first and last Safe Ice dates in areas closer to your home than you may be aware of. It isn't always knowing where you'd like to fish, but when you can fish, and a 'Safe Ice' map can help aproximate much more  closely when combined with current and predicted weather conditions.
      For example; Cossayuna and Mariaville Lakes are at almost the same elevation but mariaville freezes to safe ice first. They are almaost the same distance from Albany so why go to Cossy when you can fish Mariaville?
       If nothing else it may help determine vacation times and such for the Rookies and Grumpy Old Dogs,(GODs for short) like me who aint gotta lotta years left and don't want to waste it waiting for the King to freeze when the Prince,(Schroon Lake) may already be frozen. The Reports Board doesn't always address, or answer this question 'till after twenty folks ask.
      I'd appreciate any help or opinions in this matter, even regarding the 'Need' for such a thing. It's kinda like having the 'Lost Streams of New York' map on your living room wall,(one of mine is thanks to Sherry). It's a lot of interesting information that I'll never use.
       Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions in any form. ;D ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2006, 12:20 PM »
In WNY it's almost always Loon Lake.
I didn't make it there this year.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Well good luck and here's Lake Georges Freeze Thaw Records since 1907-1908

http://www.northqueensburyfire.org/LG%20Ice%20in%20Ice%20Out.pdf

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Chainsaw,
     Mariaville may freeze first but it usually melts pretty fast when the weather warms up. Sunday the ice was melted away from shore anywheres from 6-15 feet. Cossayuna is a bit bigger and deeper than Mariaville thats why it does not freeze as fast. Plus many people like to get away to other small lakes because they offer different species. Finally the biggest problem with a list like that is a beautiful small lake such as Mariaville could get over fished in a hurry. I saw it happening this year and I'm afraid it will just get worse. If we have another mild winter combined with an increase in the number of icefishermen, I'm afraid that the fishery I grew up on may never be the same.  :'(
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.