Author Topic: Small River Catfish  (Read 5357 times)

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Small River Catfish
« on: Jan 11, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I am new to icefishing for catfish and went down to a local hole in a small river in NW Iowa with my camera to see what was there.  What I found was hundreds of catfish of various sizes.  I went down there today and threw everything at them but didn't have much luck.  The only fish that was interested was a big catfish, mabye 6-8lb that nudged a chub with its tail cut off then inhaled it for a split second before spitting it out.  Every other fish completely ignored the bait.  What are some tips for enticing these fish to bite?

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Small River Catfish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2014, 03:57 PM »
first, try different baits. i've caught a good number of cats with a jigging spoon crammed full of waxworms. another option would be to try chicken livers, nightcrawlers, or the dough baits they sell in stores.

other than that, i'd start experimenting with their temperament, they may be in a non-feeding mood, so you'll have to coax and persuade every fish. i'd recommend a small jigging spoon with a glow jig about a foot above. you might also try setting up your limit of rods in a big spread, bait with cutbait and hope for a bite.

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Try a smaller piece of bait. During the winter they don't need much food so they generally eat smaller pieces. I usually do best for channels when I use cut up bullhead. I catch the bullheads on worms. The hardest thing about winter catfishing is finding them. You've done that so now it is just a matter of time to find out what they want to eat.
James

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2014, 03:35 AM »
Bacon is a great bait also
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Here's proof I have a good cat fishing hole on the river.  Still have not caught one though...

Offline Silverbullet555

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Here's proof I have a good cat fishing hole on the river.  Still have not caught one though...

With that many in close proximity, you might be able to jig one to bite. Small pieces of trout/salmon as they have lots of smell, especially trout. Crawfish, worms, etc.
James

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:44 PM »
As soon as the ice went off the fishing has gone crazy in that hole.  Never been on such a good catfish bite.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2015, 04:50 AM »
Sometimes it's a time of the day or rather night time bite.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.