Author Topic: power drill ice auger  (Read 1971 times)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
power drill ice auger
« on: Aug 06, 2013, 09:08 PM »
i was wondering who has one and how it works. im thinking of getting a 6in. for ist ice. i have a 18v variable transmission bosch drill w/ lith/ ion batteries. should be enough to push a 6in. drill. in less than 12in. of ice. can get the adapter and auger head for $50 w/ free shipping. anyone have luck with these?

Offline sckoolman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: power drill ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2013, 11:36 PM »
I have a 6" drill auger and it is definitely my go to auger for early to mid season.  I have a lazer auger with a nimrod drill adapter.  I know there are several adapters available.  You simply put the adapter on where the auger detaches from the handle and put it in your drill.  Make sure that whatever adapter you use it has a feature to prevent the auger from going through the hole if it slips off you drill.

I started with an 18 volt Makita which worked fine, but came across a great deal on a 36 volt Bosch, which I have been using the last 4-5 years.  I am sure your drill will work fine.  If you plan on drilling many holes you should figure out how to keep your batteries somewhat warm - they will not run out of juice as fast.  Also (and this is obvious), keep your auger blades super sharp!!

I'm surprised more people don't use them.  They are light, portable, and relatively inexpensive.  Everyone I know that has tried mine ends up getting one for themselves.  Hope this helps.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2013, 04:10 PM »
 yeah this would be for early/ late season only. my 10in. power jiffy comes out after 12in. of ice anyway. i just ordered a 6in. eskimo cutter and nimrod adapter  should be awesome to drill holes now. no more chipping away!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2013, 07:54 PM »
Have a friend that thought it was the cats meow until he lost his auger down the ice hole.  He lucked out though and got a guy with a camera and some stiff wire and luckily retrieved it.  Make sure its got a safety feature.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 09, 2013, 02:29 PM »
im going to weld a 1/4in. thick 7in. disk on the top of the adapter. will also work double duty as a handle to lift the bit once it punches thru. won't fall thru that way.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #5 on: Aug 09, 2013, 05:56 PM »
I see Clam has a cordless drill adapter available.  Looks pretty cool.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 09, 2013, 10:41 PM »
This is Clam Outdoors new drill that was just released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmR1QDaQnY

Vexilar also has an awesome drill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7feP8b4KuM
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Aug 11, 2013, 10:29 AM »
well designed but pricey.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Slap a RIDGID 18-Volt Hyper-Lithium-Ion X4 1/2 in. Cordless Hammer Drill on that rig & you've got a sweet auger... :)
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline dubnation25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I have a lazer auger with nimrod attachment and 20 volt lithium ion max dewalt drill. With the 3 amp. Battery I have drilled over 20 holes in 24 inches of ice and still had power.

Offline milehighfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2013, 12:56 PM »
I used a 6" nils master convertible with a Dewalt 18" drill last year. I received it as a Christmas gift and didn't use my 10" Jiffy gasser the rest of the year. I could put around 40 holes through 8"-10" of ice per battery. I'm considering selling the jiffy this year and getting a 8" convertible as well. Less weight, no gas.... win win.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.