Author Topic: holding perch  (Read 2379 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
holding perch
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 08:29 AM »
does anyone chum the perch schools? maybe if they had food they would stay under you.

also wondering about submersible lights. you think you could draw them in and hold them with a light about 8ft above them? or would you drop the light to the bottom with the chum?

any ideas, as to how to hold a school under you?
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline wngnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: holding perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I use a heavy jig with a single hook and spikes. The heavy jig will get you back down to the fish fast, you can catch a half dozen before you need to rebait using spikes. The single hook lets you get the fish off quick.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:14 PM »
I use a heavy jig with a single hook and spikes. The heavy jig will get you back down to the fish fast, you can catch a half dozen before you need to rebait using spikes. The single hook lets you get the fish off quick.

x2 on this one i use a small jig with a split shot right above it in water deeper than 20 feet so i can get it back down asap and catch lots of the little buggers. ;D

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Perch are almost like grazing sheep, it wouldn't take long to wipe out whatever you put down there if they were even interested. Cost/Logistics could be a nightmare. Easier to run and gun to pattern them, surprising how some of their patterns hold up over the years. Some of mine are fairly consistent and they haven't changed much since the late 60s. Know where they are, but can I get them to bite...........? They respond fairly well to bottom noise, clicking blades, thumping bottom, etc..., they can be a curiosity seeking bunch

Offline NEK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:09 AM »
A trick I used to use back in the 1950's on Lake Erie in Michigan, was to take a one or two quart Mason canning jar and poke a few holes in the lid and a bigger hole in the center of the lid to run a cord through and tie a knot in the cord inside the lid - then fill the jar with lake water or well water and put a few shiner minnows in there put the lid on and drop it down the hole. I have had a school of perch gang around that jar and you could raise it and they would follow it right up, almost to the bottom of the ice.  In those days - it was legal to spear the Yellow Perch on Lake Erie - and that is what most guys used as a decoy.
Warren

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:36 PM »
Unfortunately, to catch bigger perch I have to move.  I can jig underneath myself and catch the same few little fish several times.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 10:19 AM »
Ive wondered if buying frozen krill, putting it in some fish netting with a rock and dropping it down a hole would draw them and keep them. I really need to try this, its been on my mind for some time.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.