Author Topic: lithium battery charging with battery tender  (Read 946 times)

Offline Moosehaed

• IceShanty Rookie
lithium battery charging with battery tender
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:09 AM »
I have a battery tender plus and I was wondering If it would charge 10amp lithium batteries?

I tried to contact Battery Tender but they have not returned my emails.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: lithium battery charging with battery tender
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 10:39 AM »
Can be used in a pinch.might not charge to full capacity but when i did it for a test on my first dakota lithium it charged to 13.8.the dakota lithium charger also charged it to 13.8.my charger was a battery tender jr.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 12:15 PM »
As long as the charger has a battery management system or some type of over voltage/charge protection circuit  you should be fine. Otherwise you can start fires or possibly grenade your lithium battery with out a BMS circuit. Might void your warranty on the battery as well not charging it with the appropriate charger.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:27 PM »
I think battery tender has a charging unit made for lithium batteries.
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 02:03 PM »
looks like your charger is only 1.2amp. while the eo chargers are 3.3 amps. yours is missing 2 amps. i would use the right charger for it. the onboard bms should be made for the higher amp charger. on the other side, it might take a full charge and just take longer to get it there.

1.2amp
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU

3.3amp
https://energizedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery/products/lifepo4-battery-3-3a-charger-with-fan

Offline Moosehaed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:27 PM »
It's a 3 amp charger. Just want to figure out if I need to buy a new charger if I get a lithium.

looks like your charger is only 1.2amp. while the eo chargers are 3.3 amps. yours is missing 2 amps. i would use the right charger for it. the onboard bms should be made for the higher amp charger. on the other side, it might take a full charge and just take longer to get it there.

1.2amp
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0128-Maintain-Damaging/dp/B00068XCQU

3.3amp
https://energizedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery/products/lifepo4-battery-3-3a-charger-with-fan

Offline John2448

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta be the bait
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I just purchased a Dakota also and I didn't notice you needed to charge with a lithium charger. I have the small battery tender Jr that I been using for my other batteries but it doesn't have the option for lithium. So I think I am going to get what FlamDragger said. Actually have it in my Amazon cart before I seen this post

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2019, 09:46 AM »
The amperage of the charger only determines how fast a battery can be charged.  The nominal terminal voltage of the battery determines the correct charger.
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2019, 08:56 AM »
The amperage of the charger only determines how fast a battery can be charged.  The nominal terminal voltage of the battery determines the correct charger.
I'd like to hear some more feedback from those that mention a lithium needs some higher amp to charge completely etc. I was under the same assumption as stated here by shorty. however, i did buy the charger that comes with the EO but have a few battery tender jr layin around.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2019, 11:34 AM »
The lithiums do not need more amps... although they can take it and not be damaged, unlike a SLA. So you usually see lithium chargers with more amps because, well why not?

The battery tender jr will charge a lithium battery no problem, just only to about 98-99% charge. I'd still suggest getting the charger made for the battery, unless the battery mfg says any SLA charger will work. The first thing they will ask if you have a battery issue is what charger are you using.

I'm not sure on the big battery tender, don't have one.
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.