The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Laminate your hunting and fishing tags  (Read 4059 times)

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
Laminate your hunting and fishing tags
« on: Mar 01, 2020, 01:43 PM »
If you buy your 2020 Montana hunting and fishing tags at an outdoor store, you'll get paper copies of the tags.  I went to Walmart and bought a 1' x 10' roll of clear laminate and covered my tags with clear plastic.  The roll of laminate costs only $2.97, and is available in the office supplies section of the store with various more expensive laminating pouches. My laminated tags are only slightly thicker and stiffer than the waterproof paper tags provided by FWP in past years. I have taken pictures of my tags, and will keep the pictures on my cell phone.

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Laminate your hunting and fishing tags
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:35 PM »
Thanks Pete for the idea.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2020, 05:39 PM »
Who was the genius that created a system with paper tags?  Bet it was a non-hunter looking to save a few pennies.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:15 PM »
If you can't find the laminating plastic, you could cover your paper tags with clear packing tape.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2020, 09:39 PM »
Solid advice Pete.....Thanks !!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:30 PM »
Who was the genius that created a system with paper tags?  Bet it was a non-hunter looking to save a few pennies.

http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/fishAndWildlife/nr_1311.html

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:43 PM »
For 100 years, license were on paper. Then came cheap ways to make them waterproof. Now most everyone has their license on their phone. So they went back to paper.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2020, 12:46 PM »
http://fwp.mt.gov/news/newsReleases/fishAndWildlife/nr_1311.html

QUESTION: Why is FWP making the switch now?

ANSWER: FWP is making this switch for two main reasons: customer convenience and associated costs and technology.

Once the change is adopted, we believe the ease of use for most customers will be an incredible benefit. Customers will now be able to print licenses and carcass tags immediately after purchase, unlike previous years when they waited for them to be mailed from FWP headquarters. 

Additionally, the cost of the thermal paper used for many years for our licenses and carcass tags continues to increase along with the problems of our aging equipment, i.e. the seemingly disappearing ink debacle on last year’s licenses due to the aged thermal printers not being able to “burn” hot enough. Additionally, we can no longer obtain replacements for the printers we currently use. They’ve become obsolete, making them impossible to replace not only at FWP offices, but also at our external license providers across the state. 

Yup, they preach "CUSTOMER CONVENIENCE" but say it is to reduce costs.  Some moron was out gunning for a bonus because they reduced costs of the program. Also, they acknowledge that the new tags will probably not work well below. Seems very stupid and counter productive to good management practices. Someone should be held accountable and it should not be the hunters.  >:( >:(

QUESTION: What happens when I’m out in the field and my license gets wet and unreadable? Will I get a ticket?

ANSWER: FWP wardens have always used discretion when encountering situations like this. Even with the old paper, it wasn’t uncommon to have situations with tags that were unreadable or difficult to discern. The intent with this change is not to make it easier for wardens to write more citations. FWP wants hunters to enjoy their hunts, follow the law, and get home with some great wild game for the freezer. This small change in license paper should not get in the way of that.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Every fishing tag I have ever had was paper. Here they stopped issuing tags a few years ago. Now when you buy one they print it off and hand you a piece of printer paper. Was pretty bummed out as I have kept my old state tags over the years. So now I cut them down and laminate them with clear packing tape.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2020, 10:03 AM »
You can run a digital copy on your phone or tablet etc. Digital is 100%legal this year. i still print mine and have it in the boat, tackle bag, waders etc. but having a copy on your phone is super easy and you always have it that way. i download it and also screen shot it.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2020, 10:05 AM »
You can run a digital copy on your phone or tablet etc. Digital is 100%legal this year. i still print mine and have it in the boat, tackle bag, waders etc. but having a copy on your phone is super easy and you always have it that way. i download it and also screen shot it.

I do that for my fishing license. It worked with the Warden in MN this winter. I just file the photo under "favorites" in my photos and it is easy.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2020, 11:47 AM »
To add to my post, the hunting licences i always kept in a couple ziplocks as is, doing the packing tape lamination is always a good thing IMO which i do with the snail mail tags, never had a issue with the plastic tape ones that get printed. but looks like everything is going on white paper so packing tape here i come.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2020, 07:02 PM »
I had my license and tags printed at FWP. Does a picture of the license count as a digital copy or would I need to download a copy?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2020, 07:09 PM »
I had my license and tags printed at FWP. Does a picture of the license count as a digital copy or would I need to download a copy?

Got to fwp.mt.gov and log into your "myfwp" account. In the "items held" tab there is an option to request an email copy of your non carcass tags. The email is sent immediately and you can download the PDF to your phone.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2020, 07:10 PM »
you have to have an actual tag on you while hunting big game. i use clear tape.

Offline MTJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Ok, thanks.

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Picked up new licenses at main office in Missoula yesterday.  Took several sheets of waterproof  printer paper with me and had all licenses and A, B elk and deer printed on my paper.  Search on line for waterproof printer paper.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HīPē F˙Sh
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2020, 02:10 PM »
did they print with ink or toner?

Offline Jedo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2020, 04:00 PM »
Stopped at local print shop and purchased several sheets of waterproof printer paper for 20 cents each.   Works on laser printers but not inkjet.  Apparently there are several types or brands.   Poured a bit of water on part of it and rubbed it in.   Print did not run and paper did not deteriorate.   Not the same as falling in the river or slush at Georgetown or surviving a drag through wet snow or rain but far better than plain printer paper.   Will still keep a few ziplocks in pack just in case.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.