Author Topic: Salmo Chubby Darters  (Read 6592 times)

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
Salmo Chubby Darters
« on: Jan 18, 2004, 09:31 AM »
Anyone use them? did you have any success? Is it worth paying 6.99 for them? :o

-Evan

Offline pkevinb

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re:Salmo Chubby Darters
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2004, 11:09 AM »
I have some of them and they work great for me.  The smaller ones catch anything.

Offline walliceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting to ice that first eye!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2004, 03:18 PM »
They look good,

Only thing is their coloring is so limited I don't know if i wanna perchase one in a color i know won't work...

-Evan

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2004, 03:29 AM »
I bought two this year, they are beautiful baits. Evan's right about color selection though, very limited. Haven't fished with them much yet, but I'm going to a nice deep spot on Sat where I will always have one tied on.
Salmo's open water cranks look awesome too.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2004, 04:49 PM »
I caught a bunch of nice perch on them at Sodus last year. The only problem is the pike love 'em too and at $6-7 each, it gets expensive when you get bit off.
Pete Lewis

Art

Re: Salmo Chubby Darters
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2004, 02:44 PM »
I witnessed a fisherman ice a 9 Lb. walleye with one.  I put one on and also iced a 9 lber. a half hour later.  THEY WORK!!

Offline qwerty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:20 PM »
What colors and size do you prefer? I've had luck with a size 5 (mid size) in orange and gold, but it seems to work best once it's dark out.  I've got other colors and sizes but I've been successful with this combo so I haven't tried the other sizes and colors yet. Just wondering if the other colors or sizes are as successful.

Offline Jocko

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eyes Giant Eyes!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2004, 06:40 AM »
I purchased one this year and compared the action in shallow water against the Nils Master and Rapala versions.  Salmo seemed to be much more realistic and was the only one of the three that kept the perch coming into the hole.
What I liked was the slow drop back down compared to the rapala that drops pretty fast.  Wait for the end of year sales!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2004, 10:28 PM »
They look good,

Only thing is their coloring is so limited I don't know if i wanna perchase one in a color i know won't work...

-Evan
you can never go wrong with a perch color
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2004, 06:04 PM »
I have always been curious on how they work? Tell me how they swim differently than a jigging rap. I am planning on buying some chubbies this year and some jigging shads as well. If they sink slower they might be better in shallow water or for negative fish. I know anything that swims, panfish, cats, pike, trout, walleye, bass love jigging raps and other swimbaits. I think I will try these. I also want to try the storm soft plastic jigging lures too.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2004, 10:54 PM »
Sounds good slipbob. I think the raps and nilsies will always have a huge place because sometimes walleyes want a more subtle action on the swim.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2004, 07:55 PM »
They are a nice lure and worked pretty good. A bit pricey @ 6.99 a pop.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

UnderCoverBrother

« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2004, 03:15 PM »
Caught walleyes on them on Lake Of The Woods when they are bighting aggresively! ;D

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:44 PM »
well i just picked one up today and it looks good but it had better be good for what i payed for it!  and atleast you dont get to many snags ice fishing ;D  but i  hear they work excellent
Team Manitoba

Offline Mully

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:01 PM »
Fished the small hot perch pattern last year.  Great lure.  Caught me many walleyes.  I fish them up in the water column and watch the walleye come up and nail them on my vexilar.  It provoked some vicious strikes.  I was very surprised because I am not usually a swimming lure kind of guy- prefer jigs.  I will definitely be buying another hot perch because the one I had got bit off by a pike on one of my last outings last year.  I have the gold one and the regular perch pattern but the hot perch was by far the best colour.  I will be experimenting with them more this year.  I will be trying them more for lakers but probably not that much though because I am really a jig guy.

Offline chrisN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2004, 10:33 PM »
i also picked up the hot perch.  hopefully it lasts me a while because im not sure how many of them i can afford.  anybody ever try using them in the summer?
Team Manitoba

hali-man

« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2004, 11:47 AM »
anybody ever try using them in the summer?

I have never tried vertical jigging in the Summer.
None of the lakes around here are deep enough to get over fish without spooking them.
They probably would work in a steep reservoir, though.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2005, 04:18 PM »
Has anyone seen the new glow colors?  Only found them on the website.  Is it worth the extra $ to get them direct?

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.