Author Topic: Night Lights for Walleye  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
Night Lights for Walleye
« on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Where I live there aren’t many lakes close by with good walleye populations so finding the walleye and learning how to catch them thru the ice has been slow going for me. 

One of the local lakes where I fish has a parking area with a street light that casts some light out into the lake. After reading some of the posts about fishing shallow for walleye at night, I was wondering whether fishing the shallows along the fringes of the lighted area would be good or not. I was also wondering how sensitive they are to lanterns? Any suggestions would be appreciated :tipup:

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Night Lights for Walleye
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I really havent had any problems with lights.  Other people say they do.  I know early ice with no snow can be a little touchy but other than that i fish with a night light and i still catch them.  Also i always have my latern going.  just takes time to figure them out took me two years to really start catching them... maybe i suck ha
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 04:41 PM »
The only issue I have ever experienced is when your headlamp shines right down the hole as you are pulling one in - that seems to get them fired up. When I was younger my uncle used a homemade underwater light (a headlight powered by a battery pack) to attract fish (apparently the light attracts plankton etc.. which attracts baitfish which in turn attracts predators). I have bought one of the commercial lights and set it up away from my tip ups (so the sets are at the fringe of the lighted area) and have had success with this for the most part. I know last year there was a thread on this and it seems quite a few people use this technique as well.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:01 PM »
I have a florecent 12 volt system green, it works very well near shore, need to attract the bait fish and the big boys will come :icefish: also works good for smelt

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:50 PM »
so far this year i have only had hits with the lights being off and the dvd player going.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.